News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Josh Smith

Hickories and Architects w/ images
« on: December 10, 2006, 11:55:57 AM »
This morning I had a revelation, if I was in a position to build, restore, or remodel a golf course, I would hire an architect that regularly carries hickories.  Perhaps such a person respects, knows, and is in tune with the great history and enjoyment derived from navigating a golf course along the ground.  Perhaps that would show in his designs.

Does anyone recognize this architect and the courses/holes he is on.

Disclaimer:  This guy is not posing for these photos, I got in and took them without him knowing.  Posing for photos in a finish position is bad form.

Textbook finish

I think this is a bad shot with poor weight shift, but if you study the photo long enough it looks to be a premature fist pump knowing he hit the shot right where he wanted it. :-*

Another nice finish on a wonderful hole.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 12:06:51 PM by Josh Smith »

Joe Hancock

Re:Hickories and Architects w/ images
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 02:06:04 PM »
All I can say is that the GCA ass pic concept just took the proverbial dump..... :P

OK, another thing I know....that's two different courses designed by said ass, and also I would predict a low, right to left ball flight on any of his shots, including putts....... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Josh Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 03:10:40 PM »
Joe,

In picture number two, am I correct to detect an early and probably premature fist pump shortly after contact with the ball by this true 'playa'?  

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 03:15:26 PM »
Joe,

In picture number two, am I correct to detect an early and probably premature fist pump shortly after contact with the ball by this true 'playa'?  

In my estimation, any fist pump by this "playa wannabe" is premature...... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 03:31:07 PM »
I assume that's someone who use to work with Old Tom Doak.

Didn't he do a sensitive restoration in the land of the sensitive, not too far from a FLW state owned office building?

My plan is to give a hand to that state this next year for a visit on my way to the city of Brotherly love.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 10:14:41 PM »
In my estimation, any fist pump by this "playa wannabe" is premature...... ;D

Joe

Except when there is a cut-putt on the line, huh, Joe?!?   ;D

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 10:28:01 PM »
This morning I had a revelation, if I was in a position to build, restore, or remodel a golf course, I would hire an architect that regularly carries hickories.  Perhaps such a person respects, knows, and is in tune with the great history and enjoyment derived from navigating a golf course along the ground.  Perhaps that would show in his designs.

Josh,

Absolutely!   ;D  A true "playa" like that is certain to know his stuff!  8)

Seriously, I like playing the hickories because it does make you think about making shots and trying different approaches to the game.  The clubs are not as dependable as modern ones but you can definitely play a very good game with them.  They are a blast to play and when you really pull off the shot you are trying, it is a great, rewarding feeling.  I also think they help me with my modern clubs because they force you to look at the game in another light and that makes any golf more fun!   :)

Also, if you have the good fortune to play with Ralph Livingston, you will learn a great deal about them and love the history of the clubs (which are real works of art) and see someone who is totally taken by them.

Best to all for a Happy Holiday!

Mike

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 10:56:49 AM »
Here are some golf architects...all with hickories.

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back