News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Aidan Bradley

Ceannn Sibeal(Dingle)
« on: December 09, 2006, 02:16:14 PM »
Per Kirk Gill's request in the Waterville thread, below is my view of Ceann Sibeall(Gaelic for Sybil Head). A little off the beaten track but well worth the treck. Not a typical links course but a fine test off golf in a charming and delightful, if not somewhat remote part of Kerry where the mother tongue(Gaelic) is still to heard in the local pubs. When I was a "wee slip of a lad"(many years ago) my parents sent me to the neighbouring village..Ballyferriter, to improve my profiency in the Irish language. Slainte.

Adrian_Stiff

Re:Ceannn Sibeal(Dingle)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 02:29:18 PM »
That looks nice.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 03:48:01 PM »
Aidan,

I cannot comment on your Gaelic but you take a mighty fine picture.
Cave Nil Vino

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 04:07:08 PM »
Ceann Sibeal, is a half shour spectacular drive west of Dingle.  There are bee-hive stone made huts that early (8th century?) monks inhabited.  Therer is also a little chapel that was constructed at the same time that is made without mortor and still keeps out the rain.
As for the golf course it is generally windblown, uncrowded with a warm welcome in the spartan clubhouse.  It seems to me that Christy O'Connor designed the course, although my memory isn't what it used to be.  I found the course difficult with long par fours playing uphill into the wind.  There are a few good par threes but the course is just average.
The views are awesome with mts toward the east, ocean west and the Skellig islands off to the south.  Well worth the visit even if you don't play golf.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 04:29:35 PM »

This was built about 700 AD.  It is called the Gallerus Oratory.
This is the chapel I mentioned.  Dingle and environs is one of my favorite places in Southwest ireland.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jordan Wall

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 07:04:23 PM »
Need I say anything?

Great, once again, Aidan!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 01:24:02 AM »
Ever since I read Finney and Whitely's book, "Links of Heaven", I have had this idea running around in my head that I must someday go to see Ceannn Sibeal.  I don't know why.  I have mentioned this to folks that have been there and they tell me it isn't the best I could do to experience Irish links golf.  Yet, I really am drawn there, and will make it a mandatory stop when I finally get to go visit the old sod.
Is it an Irish anadromous thing I'm experiencing - that urge to go there?  Of course the photos only make me want it more.  

Did any of you note the name Daley on any pub doors therabouts?  ;D 8)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 01:24:44 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 03:14:40 AM »
Aidan,

I found the town nearby the course quite delightful and had great fun watching the Hurling Final with the Barman (aka the local school's Physics Teacher).

Maybe I was in a bit of a funk the day I played the course but I found it a little bland.  The overcast weather and my penchant for finding long thick rough did not help my mood I'm sure.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 04:30:57 AM »
Hi Sean

I think Christy O'Connor Jnr had done some remodeling on the course recently, but maybe you've played it since then. I haven't played it, but was out there to have a look at it a good few years ago. It's a lovely setting.
John Marr(inan)

Jim Thompson

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 11:01:05 AM »
For some reason this photo is moving and inspirational.

Thank you Aidan!

JT
Jim Thompson

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 02:09:15 PM »
RJ the course is worth playing once just because of the setting and feel of the club.  They love their golf there.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 02:09:42 PM by tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

Kirk Gill

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 06:05:21 PM »
See now Aidan - that's why I now totally rely on you to get the best out of the features that are there. I could spend a lifetime on the Dingle peninsula, and I loved the experience of playing at Ceann Sibeal, but as mentioned before was not blown away by the golf. And my weak efforts to capture the feel of the place in pictures are not worth posting on this forum.

Unlike your images, which serve my memory of the place much better than anything in my photo box. Before I played there, I had read the comments of Christy O'Connor to the effect that Ceann Sibeal has everything that the Old Course has, and more..........and was disappointed on that front. Of course, he's the co-designer, so what should I expect him to say? Can't say I specifically remember a single hole, and choose instead to remember that my wife walked the back nine with me (she hates golf - the result of a father who shoved the game down her throat), and the two of us were almost alone on the course on a day almost as beautiful as the one Aidan captured...........Beers later at a Dingle pub, and a fine Italian dinner (!) at a restaurant just opened by a couple freshly moved from Italy.............

Thanks Aidan. I needed that.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back