News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

JESII

After 20 pages of a thread devoted to whetting out what possible involvement or influence Charles Blair MacDonald had on the design and construction of Merion's East course, I am convinced that it was two things...educational during Hugh Wilson's two day visit to NGLA in 1910(?)...and minimal upon his return to the states during the building process.

The construction site visits reveal no evidence of an imposition into the process which to me says he approved of everything going on.

This indicates a certain style that might unfortunately not exist today. Moriarty and MacWood are so hell-bent on proving his contributions that they overlook the fact that he may very well have been on-site but kept to himself to let the Merion committee work out their problems themselves. Surely if they were to lean on CBM for answers they would have recognized that assistance. Do Moriarty and MacWood think the Merion committee were such self-important a**holes that they would take help from a man (THE MAN, in fact) and not acknowledge it?

I think Wilson and his committee were very thankful for CBM taking the time to lend some insight into his approach prior to Wilson's trip overseas, and I think CBM must have been a perfect gentleman upon his visit(s) to the Merion Golf Club construction site. Something that just might be lacking in this day and age if it cannot even be considered a possibility.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 02:08:25 PM by JES II »

Patrick_Mucci

JES II,

CBM could have paid a site visit just to see what they were doing or to find out what Wilson had gleened from his trip.

Until there's factual documentation detailing CBM's role I don't see how anyone can attribute any portion of the routing, design or construction to him.

Mike_Cirba

Sully/Patrick,

For all we know, Macdonald could have done a site visit just because Flynn and Pickering happened to be throwing a wild Irish party that night in the makeshift clubhouse.   I'm quite sure that Macdonald wasn't so stiff and single-minded that he wouldn't enjoy a turn with the ladies of the Main Line after a sniff or two.   ;)

After all, why else leave the Hamptons in the summer just to hang out in beautiful downtown Ardmore?   ::) :'( ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 03:49:17 PM by Mike Cirba »

TEPaul

"I am convinced that it was two things...educational during Hugh Wilson's two day visit to NGLA in 1910(?)...and minimal upon his return to the states during the building process."

It certainly seems that way to me too since I can't understand why Merion would be so thankful to him for that two day visit to Southampton and then mentioned virtually nothing more about him contributing much of anything specifically afterwards. If he had it just seems so logical to assume they would have thanked him for that too or at least mentioned it. Don't forget a few of the reminisences about creation of Merion including Macdonald's help in Southampton were written by the Wilsons some years later. I'll check what those dates were later.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back