GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Seeding to poa

<< < (2/5) > >>

Bill_Overdorf:
Many thanks for your responses and timely advice. I assure you it is greatly appreciated.

Adam, I really thank you for your knowledgeable input as to the pros and cons of this rather elusive topic. Not too much out there for a neophyte such as I in this department. I have never had an interest in seeding Poa and therefore I have no base on which to work. You mention Primo. Is this one of the varieties other than the Peterson's Creeping Bluegrass stated by Pete Galea? Please respond by email if you will be so kind.

Pete, I have not, as you may have deduced from the above, determined a source to be considered for Poa seed, but I notice with interest your reference to the seedy condition Peterson's Creeping Blue developes when mature. Could you elaborate?

Mike, the consideration of Rain Bird or Hunter is a personal thing. I have historically maintained a preference for Rain Bird, but witnessing the Hunter operational features gives me cause to pause. I am particularly impressed with Hunter's ability to service their heads through the top without any disruption by digging. We also have a couple of areas on a new track that will require full circle distribution for propagation but to be trimmed back to part circles for sculpting and the Hunter heads seem to have an edge in that regard. Perhaps I am too easily swayed, but I posted an inquiry here some time back and the concensus seemed to be quite favorable in the Hunter department.

Ian, Thanks for your suggestions. I most certainly will contact Dennis Pelrene at Capilano to hear his first hand comments about Poa's use.

Thanks to all. If any others out there have something to add, please chime in.

Bill

RJ_Daley:
I seem to remember a pretty good article in GCM magazine about 2-3 years ago on the experimentation of seeding greens originally with poa at a turf facility out east... density, fertility, disease resistance, etc.

Bob_Huntley:
If you want the definitive answer re poa on the Monterey Peninsula call Bob Zoller at 831-373-1556. There is no better resource.

Doc:
Bill,
 "Although I am well aware that these greens are destined to revert to poa over the long haul."????  

I have to disagree with your statement.  I know of several courses that have the new variety bents that have managed to keep the poa out with pre-emergent and mechanical removal.  Although I have played on some fine poa greens, none compare to the new bents!!  I also saw an article about a new chemical that is coming out of Michigan State that will knock out poa.  You may want to look into it. It is called Velocity.

Bill_Overdorf:
Doc, To what new bent varieties are you referring? Also what pre-emergents are considered effective? You mention a chemical called Velocity out of Michigan State. Anything further on this? Anyone else?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version