GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Seeding to poa

<< < (3/5) > >>

Doc:
Bill,
I am refering to the A and G series bents.  Bensumec is widely used in the spring as a preemergent.  I saw a small article about velocity a couple of months ago.  The chemical was used in agriculture and was stumbled upon for controling poa.  The photos were quite impressive.  The article stated that it will be in limited use this summer and registered for sale next year.  You may want to call Tee to Green seed company and ask if any of the new bents have been purchased for use in your area and call the clubs and talk to them.  

Pat_McGuire:
Northlands Golf Course in North Vancouver BC overseeded with Poa Reptans. Because of the cool wet climate, they were having real probems growing bent and the native poa wasn't taking over fast enough.  Being a municipal public course, open year around, the greens were taking a beating.

Reptans has been a real improvement.  However, there are issues that could make it a poor decision in the long-run.  It is much coarser than our native poa and has large seed heads.  Susceptibilty to fusarium has been an issue.  Plus it is very agressive, so it is unlikely that the native poa will ever dominate.

Mark_Fine:
Bill,
Primo is a PGR (a growth regulator) similar to TGR (Trimit) or Cutless.  Primo slows the growth of poa (more so than bent) and is being used by more and more leading edge Superintendents.  
Mark

Doc:
Bill,
Latest edition of Golf Course News has an article on the front page about Velocity.  Leave me your fax # if you would like and I will fax you a copy.  If it works as good as they say, someone will make billions!!

Bill_Overdorf:
Doc:

Many thanks for your considerate offer. Regrettably, I fail to find the GCN article on Velocity. Will you please fax same to (360) 354-5704? Thanks again to you and all in this matter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version