GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Seeding to poa

(1/5) > >>

Bill_Overdorf:
???  I find myself in the middle of a quandary in that I have a project manager making noises about his newfound interest in seeding new greens to poa rather than bent. Although I am well aware that these greens are destined to revert to poa over the long haul, I am highly reluctant to make this move at the outset. The project is in the Pacific northwest, typical 38" annual rainfall, USGA greens sans the choker layer, etc. Ample maintenance budget in a location with little wind and heat problem. Irrigation system is to be  multi-row either Rain Bird or Hunter, valve-in-head either case. What can you lend?  ::)

Thanks.

A_Clay_Man:
Bill- I'm one of the few who appreciate the qualities of Poa. And, as some of the supers can attest with Primo (?), one can control the perenial which leaves only the annual.

Also, if the course in question has undulating greens, the loss of potential speed may be an advantage for the locals. All of the courses on the Monteray Peninsula have it, and the courses manage it to a real consistency, most of the time. Even the public ones.

I feel I must confess the nature of my bias for fairness purposes.

I use to like putting on lightening, but then my touch was all finese and I would invariably come up short, all the time. When I learned to putt poa, I learned to attack the putt. That attitude (approach) has helped me on every other surface I've faced or will face.

Peter Galea:
Bill,
What is your source of poa annua seed? The only one I know of that is commercially available is Peterson's Creeping Bluegrass.
From what I've heard, it is quite "seedy" once mature.

Mike Benham:

--- Quote ---Irrigation system is to be  multi-row either Rain Bird or Hunter, valve-in-head either case.

--- End quote ---

I'd be interested to hear how the selection between Rain Bird and Hunter turns out.  What will be the determining factors?  Back in the mid-90s, Hunter's golf line of rotors never quite caught on even though they had the res/com market with the PGP line of rotors.

Is price an issue?  Always is but the bigger Rain Bird factory usually has a way to make the pricing competitive if it is a course that they need/want for their market share ...

ian:
Bill,

I have seen multiple examples of using bent and aeration cores working very well. Dennis is going to use rye and poa cores to do the 17th fairway at Capilano.

Call Dennis Pelrene up at Capilano for his opinion. I'm pretty sure that the super maintains a poa nursury green at Marine Drive too.

Ian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version