News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Dan Moore

Chicago Aerial: Another NLE
« on: December 08, 2006, 09:48:41 AM »
Started as a private course in the 1920's.  I haven't been able to determine who designed this course; it looks somewhat like Ross to me, but that is very unlikely.  

Two other courses nearby were also built in the FOREST have been PRESERVEd while this course which looks like it was much much better than those two was not.  Maybe they didn't like all the BRANCHes to the NORTH along the river.  

« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 11:16:24 AM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

T_MacWood

Re:Chicago Aerial: Another NLE
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 10:19:30 AM »
Dan
I agree...from the air it looks very good. It reminds me of CH Alison.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 10:43:30 AM »
Tom:

I went and looked at the GCA aerial on Milwaukee CC, which I believe is an Alison (and not a Colt/Alison) design, and you can see some similarities with the bunker designs. Some of the bunkers at Milwaukee CC are truly -- for lack of a better term -- artistic in design -- moreso than the ones in this aerial, if indeed it has some connection to Alison. Boy, that green in the upper right-hand part of the picture looks like an absolute bear to hit, with those bunkers pinching like that and the semi-boomerang design of the green. Some greens also like small, relative to the size of the bunkers.

Dan -- Any Alison or Colt/Alison designs in the Chicago area? Alison didn't strike me as nearly as prolific in the Midwest, if at all, as someone like Bendy -- I don't think, e.g., that there is another Alison in Wisconsin, at least that I know of.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 10:44:37 AM by Phil McDade »

SL_Solow

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 11:02:14 AM »
Alison did Northshore in Glenview and Briarwood in Deerfield.  Also some work at Bob O Linc.  Perhaps Knollwood as well.

Dan Moore

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 11:14:56 AM »
Shelly,

Does it look like Alison?  

The bunkers seem much larger than what I've seen from Alison.

I see some slight similarities to Evanston; there is a dogleg at Evanston just like the one in the upper left though it bends in the opposite direction.  The bunkers on this course are much less numerous than at Evanston and not as varied.

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

SL_Solow

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 11:25:22 AM »
I must confess that there are others who are better with aerials than I.  However, Alison was well known for large but more importantly deep bunkers.  Perhaps a contemporary aerial of Briarwood (then known as Briergate) Northshore, Milwaukee or Century in NY might give a better idea.  Comparing current Alison bunkers after years of maintenance and redesign could be misleading.

Dan Moore

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 11:53:28 AM »
I just looked at Bob O Link which shows rather large bunkers.  The bunkers at Knollwood and Briergate from the same time period don't appear quite as large.  

The aerials are not scaled consistently so that too can be misleading.  

Bob O Link

Dan Moore

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 11:20:39 AM »
Ok, I highlighted the cryptic clues in the first post.  This  course was named after a famous Revolutionary War Battle that actually took place in a different location.  Why its named that on an flat as a pancake site remains to be seen.  Why they kept the nearby course that is near the edge of a brook and ploughed this one under is a major querstion.  Its no longer niles from nowhere.  

T_MacWood

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 11:27:09 AM »
The only Alison courses in Chicago that I'm aware of are Knollwood, Briergate, North Shore and Bob O'Link.

Is this course Bunker Hill?

Dan Moore

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 11:59:29 AM »
Indeed.  

Any idea who designed it?  

T_MacWood

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 12:58:42 PM »
Dan
The one reference I've seen said the golf architect was John MacElhatton, the former pro at Ridgemoor. Not exactly a household name. He was an Irishman who evidently designed another course before Bunker Hill called Burlong Woods. Bunker Hill opened in 1925. One article claimed the 9th and 18th were par-3s over water. I'm not sure I see two holes over the creek.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 01:01:39 PM by Tom MacWood »

Dan Moore

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 10:06:32 AM »
Its is just north of Devon along Caldwell Ave. in the Cook County Forest Preserve.  The land is now used as a picnic area called Bunker Hill and is the start of the North Branch bike trail which follows the river north to the Chicago Botanic gardens in Highland Park, passing close to a bevy of wonderful golf courses along the way; Glen View, what's left of Tam O' Shanter, Winnetka, and Skokie CC.  

What I don't understand is why this course was ploughed under while Edgebrook (which you can see at the bottom of the google image) was kept.  Edgebrook is a nothing course while Bunker Hill looked to have considerable merit.  Was there something inherently wrong with Bunker Hill, perhaps it was abandoned at some point, or was it stupid politics?

The course was located where the road weaves it way through the park between the Bunker Hill and Clayton Smith designations.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 10:08:30 AM by Dan Moore »

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 12:08:54 AM »
It's amazing how the outline of the big bunker to the bottom of the old aerial can still be seen. If not for the housing intrusion, this course could be rebuilt without too much trouble.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back