News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Leary

Re:The Concession
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2006, 12:40:40 PM »
Name doesn't bother me for some reason except that it sounds rather close to Secession....

John Kirk

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2006, 01:20:30 PM »
Seriously speaking, I'm certain The Concession is a fine golf course.  The picture looks beautiful.  What I don't understand is how a flattish course can offer a complete a full test of one's game.  For instance, playing from uneven lies, and judging uphill and downhill on approaches.

On a personal level, I don't particularly care for water hazards, as they result in lost balls and demoralization.  According to the the article, there's water on 12 holes, and the course's slope is 155 from the back tees.  I have to believe that there are a lot of balls hit out of play on this course.

Recently, Jack Nicklaus builds some pretty tough golf courses, doesn't he?

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2006, 05:06:37 PM »
Tom Doak,

The overall collection of holes was a definite departure from most of Jack's other courses I have played. There were deeper greens, a greater variety of green shapes and contours that I had not yet seen him design.  Some were elevated, some were at fairway level.  

The greens lent themselves to multiple modes of attack, not just one single best type of shot.  The bunker shapes and placements were more varied and the style of the hazards and greens would make it difficult to recognize it as a Jack Nicklaus course if you did not previously know.  The driveable par 4 was a nice change of pace for Jack.  Good variety of 5 par holes as well.  Very good test of one's game.  

The only shortcoming I saw was that there was a huge difference between the back tees and the next set.  7470 and 6600!  I would have liked to have seen one set in between.  

John Kirk,

I think flattish courses can still be a complete test of golf, as  Seminole and Pine Tree can attest.  TOC is a very flat course, but with many uneven lies.  Fairway contours make for an endless variety of lies.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2006, 05:15:00 PM »
Slightly aside - on amusing names in golf - a few years ago Precept introduced the MC series of balls. Was I the only one to find this funny? What next DQ? or NR? maybe OB? And in response to the original nomenclature - these days you'd have a better chance attracting folk with 'No Concession!!' as your name. In fact that may be the computer Xtreme golf game I design.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 05:17:16 PM by Lloyd_Cole »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back