News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SPDB

Sakonnet G.C. work - Ross' Just Desserts?
« on: July 12, 2002, 02:03:54 PM »
I heard an interesting story from a Sakonnet member the other night, which I thought you all would be interested in. She mentioned to me that the club has bought a piece of property on the Sakonnet Inlet, and they plan to build new holes that take advantage of this stretch of waterfront parcel.

Before anybody cringes in disgust, hear me out, because if the story as it was related to me is true, this is a potentially interesting development.

As legend has it, when Ross was designing the course (lest anyone forget, Little Compton was Ross' summer dwelling), he had assumed (or had relied on instructions) that this parcel in question was part of the existing club owned land. Accordingly, he made hole sketches for the land and it was incorporated into the design.

As the construction began, it became evident that the club did not, in fact, own the land and that it was privately owned. The club apparently tried to reconcile the situation by buying the land, but the owner refused to sell. This forced Club/Ross to re-route/design the course so it headed further inland.

Recently, however, the club has finally secured ownership of the original land in question. As reported to me, the club has a trove of material on the holes that were originally planned for the waterfront acreage, and plan to build holes to specification as they were planned in Ross' original routing design.

A few Questions:

1) Can anyone authenticate this ? Brad Klein?

2) What do people think of this? A lot is made on this site of the architect's original intent. If routing the course to include that property was Ross' original intent, should this project be undertaken? Assuming, of course, that the plans are followed through faithful to Ross' design and objectives.

3) Does anyone know who the architect is on this?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:07 PM by -1 »

SPDB

Re: Sakonnet G.C. work - Ross' Just Desserts?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2002, 03:07:38 PM »
wow. i thought this type of news would have generated considerable discussion. i'm determined to not let this slip to page 2 without somebody commenting.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2002, 03:15:47 PM »
Sean,

It's seems sort of like the story about the original 5th hole at Pebble Beach.

I don't know if this story has any validity, but if it is, it wouldn't seem unreasonable for the club to bring in someone to design the holes that Ross originally planned for.

Of course, they should probably look to architects who've proven they understand Ross's style, either through solid restoration work or exemplification of classic design philsophies in their own work.  

Dave_Miller

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2002, 01:02:21 PM »
Sean:
Is Sakonnet going to add additional holes or replace a few holes.  
This course is a terrific little gem and it would be ashamed to see it changed just because Ross would have done it differently if they had owned the land.  Any golf course could say this.  I hope they don't destroy the quality and itegrity of this wonderful golf course.

Fairways and Greens,

Dave

SPDB

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2002, 01:04:37 PM »
Dave - I'm not too certain what will happen - part of my posting this was to see if anybody knew who the responsible arch. was.
i'm not certain any club could do this, since they likely would not have the original drawings for the holes, like Sakonnet does.

at any rate, i was amazed that this thread didn't attract more interest, since it seems to be fairly unprecedented.

it does seem to be in keeping with my "kiss of death" effect on topics. i post, the topic loses interest/momentum  :-[

Greg Holland

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2002, 01:24:51 PM »
Mike Cirba wrote "Of course, they should probably look to architects who've proven they understand Ross's style, either through solid restoration work or exemplification of classic design philsophies in their own work."

Which architects fit that bill?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2002, 01:30:39 PM »
Greg H;

I purposefully did not name any particular "restoration" architects, because I believe it is the responsibility of the club in question to get on the road and have a look-see for themselves.  

I also didn't want to omit anyone worthy from inclusion simply because I haven't seen their work.

There have been enough highly-publicized and some little-known restorations done in the past decade that finding appropriate information and contacts should not be too difficult for any club motivated to do a proper job of it.  

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2002, 01:42:28 PM »
I think I can find out about this for you. Less than a year ago an old school friend of mine from Little Compton and Sakonnet G.C. sent me those proposed plans. I know they're around here somewhere and if I can't find them I'll email or call him about it.

My memory may be failing me but I think it envolved Gil Hanse.

SPDB

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2002, 02:35:38 PM »
Tom - what do you think of the idea, though?

SPDB

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2002, 02:44:06 PM »
The one thing that bothers me is that Sakonnet was as much a laboratory for Ross as was Pinehurst. he tinkered there endlessly. No doubt he would have seized on the property if it had become available after the course was totally routed and built because of the quality of the waterfront land, and since he had the holes designed. But should it be done now?

What are analagous comparisons? If somehow the road was diverted at NGLA, should the club take it upon itself to reestablish the 14th green in its original (and superior) position? maybe it's not a perfect comparison, but it works on some level.

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2002, 03:56:41 PM »
I do have the plan, text, explanation, drawing and all. I should call Gil Hanse first before putting it on the site.

Brad Klein

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2002, 12:47:02 AM »
Sakonnet is a gem, and Gil's plan intends to keep it that way. There were some ill-advised alterations to the course done in the 1960s and 70s, I believe, which need to be undone.

I've just moved house and am now digging out my golf books. As soon as I do, I'll consult Sakonnet's club history, one of the absolute finest and most detailed to be found anywhere, "Where Stone Walls Meet the Sea," which has definitive plans and Ross' sketches for all phases of the course starting before and continuing after Ross' first visit there in 1921.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2002, 11:14:14 PM »
Dredging the archives I came up with this little tidbit.  Have there been any developments on this front?
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2002, 01:59:50 AM »
I do have the master plan on this sent to me by a member about a year ago. Again I'll call Gil Hanse about it. Gotta go out of town at 6am but will try to report back on this around Wed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back