News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

Walking only until noon on The Ocean Course
« on: December 05, 2006, 12:59:56 PM »
This release just went out.  We're limiting it until noon due to the heat in the summer and the chill in the winter...

The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island Golf Resort
to become walking-only facility in the mornings, beginning January 1, 2007

Kiawah Island, SC (Tuesday, December 5, 2006) – Kiawah Island Golf Resort today announced that The Ocean Course, site of the 1991 Ryder Cup Matches, the 2007 Senior PGA Championship and the 2012 PGA Championship, will become a “walking only” facility for all tee times before noon beginning January 1, 2007.  

“Walking has been a fundamental part of the game of golf since the first ball was struck on the seaside links of Scotland,” said Brian Gerard, Kiawah’s Director of Golf.  “Our guests have enthusiastically embraced walking The Ocean Course, since we implemented the caddie program six years ago to the point where 50% currently walk.  We feel this move will enhance our guest’s experience by embracing the great traditions of the game.”  

All guests wishing to ride during their round will be assigned tee times after noon.  To maintain optimum course conditions, carts for non-handicapped players are restricted to paths.

Walking caddies provide “local knowledge” including yardages, assistance in finding wayward shots and in reading greens.  They will also repair divots and ball marks.  For those taking caddies, there are no additional caddie fees. There is a recommended gratuity based on service.  Walkers may also carry their own bags if they choose not to take caddies.  Kiawah Island Golf Resort has unrestricted walking on all of its courses at all times.

“We are very excited to be implementing this policy and expect the guest experience to be greatly enhanced,” explained Stephen Youngner, Head PGA Professional at The Ocean Course. “The stature of The Ocean Course on a national and international level continues to grow. Golf Magazine recently rated The Ocean Course as the #3 course in the United States open to public play. These accolades are in no small measure due to the caddie program as well as the professionalism of the caddies themselves. It is a unique and amazing experience to walk with a caddie at such a world-renowned facility.”

Tom Huckaby

Re:Walking only until noon on The Ocean Course
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 01:01:21 PM »
HURRAH
HUZZAH
Three cheers for the wonderful folks at Kiawah-Ocean!

This is really cool.  I'm not sure why exactly, but that's my first impression.

Michael Ryan

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 01:21:56 PM »
Mike,

I haven't had the pleasure of making it down there yet, but this only entices me even more.  I would guess that there will be a direct correlation between this announcement and playing conditions.  Best part of playing Bethpage, not a tire mark (save for maintenance) on the whole Black course....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 01:46:11 PM »
Well good doctor, I am indeed that!  ;D

But of course what I meant is I haven't thought this through that well just yet.  At first glance indeed it is a cool thing...

But now I'm thinking I might want to play there someday with my Dad, who prefers to ride... what do I tell him when he has to wait until my 2nd round of the day?

DTaylor18

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 02:03:26 PM »
Well good doctor, I am indeed that!  ;D

But of course what I meant is I haven't thought this through that well just yet.  At first glance indeed it is a cool thing...

But now I'm thinking I might want to play there someday with my Dad, who prefers to ride... what do I tell him when he has to wait until my 2nd round of the day?

That you play a lot more golf than you claim you do!   ;D  Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 02:14:59 PM »
Dan - remember this is all in theory.

;D

Lou_Duran

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 02:27:54 PM »
Mike,

What prompted this?

The carts are on the path anyways, so damage shouldn't be the issue.  Wouldn't it make more sense to set a reasonable a pace of play objective, say 4 to 4.5 hours?

Though a committed walker myself, I don't like this limitation.  A mandatory riding policy before noon at my home club of 23 years led to my eventual resignation.  While you guys have every right to do as you wish with your property, I can't endorse this decision.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 02:40:12 PM »
This is awesome, and unprecedented!  Beautiful, and soon to be forwarded to the GM at my club, where you can only ride until noon on weekends.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Matt Dupre

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 03:08:51 PM »
What I was unaware of (haven't been to Kiawah since '98) was that the entire Resort has a policy of walking anytime.  This should be the model for all resort properties at the level of Kiawah, and for those aspiring to that level.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 04:28:49 PM »
Mike,

What prompted this?

The carts are on the path anyways, so damage shouldn't be the issue.  Wouldn't it make more sense to set a reasonable a pace of play objective, say 4 to 4.5 hours?

Though a committed walker myself, I don't like this limitation.  A mandatory riding policy before noon at my home club of 23 years led to my eventual resignation.  While you guys have every right to do as you wish with your property, I can't endorse this decision.

Adhering to the grand traditions of the game of golf and all...   Next, everyone in kilts! :P  (also, our owners and management wouldn't have made this decision unless they did the research to indicate that we'd be better off financially in the long term...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 04:52:51 PM by Mike Vegis @ Kiawah »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 04:45:17 PM »
Mike,

Hickory shafts mandatory too... wait, that'd be no fun from the 7,700 yards markers  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Walt_Cutshall

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 08:17:15 PM »
An outstanding move. Kudos to you sir.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back