News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

O/T...HIO w/ a putter????
« on: November 30, 2006, 12:17:31 PM »
..or maybe not O/T at all.

I was in charge of minding the store yesterday. I had a customer who plays regularly...exclusively for the past several years...with only a putter. He played the short set of tees yesterday, and made a HIO on hole #16, playing at 136 yards. Incredible, I say.....then he tells me it is his third HIO w/ his putter! :o

We have had a lot of rain lately, so it sure isn't F&F. Of course, his feat lead to a wonderful discussion on the essence of golf, shotmaking, greenkeeping, etc. He also had a Diet Pepsi on the house.... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

ForkaB

Re:O/T...HIO w/ a putter????
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 12:20:39 PM »
Some local guy holed out with his putter at the 5th at the Eden (St. Andrews) a couple of years ago.  If you know the hole, that's very friggin impressive!

Buck Wolter

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 12:33:22 PM »
The fact that your course is playable with only a putter is very cool.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Michael Ryan

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 12:39:16 PM »
There is a gentleman in the Hudson Valley, NY area that has achieved "Paul Bunyan like" status due to his proficiency for playing courses with just a putter.  Willie Carter was a school principal for over 30 years and taught golf on the side, then became a full time professional after retiring from teaching.  It's hard to get the true story, as people tend to exagerate but I've heard he could shot in the 70's consistently from the Men's tees with just a putter when he was younger.  Some say he has course records which I don't believe, but the rounds in the 70's is supposedly very true.  

rjsimper

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 12:54:02 PM »
Some guy I know holed out on the 16th at Rustic Canyon from 100 yards with a putter...

Stan Dodd

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 01:01:42 PM »
A buddy had an ace on #10 at PG with a putter.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 02:13:40 PM »
I was coaching at a high school golf match last spring, playing against Northfield Mount Hermon at Crumpin Fox. I was standing with the NMH coach behind the 9th green (about 175 yards, downhill and over a stream) when the last group teed off. A kid from NMH landed his shot on the back of the green, about 20 yards from the hole. The other three in the group fell down in hysterics and continued laughing as they came up to the green.

We had no idea what was going on. The NMH kid had a rain cover on his bag, which was odd since there wasn't a cloud in the sky. One of my players came over and whispered that the NMH kid only had a 6-iron and a putter in his bag, and he teed of with the putter. Better still, he had two putts to shoot a 39 on the front.

These kids were crying they were laughing so hard. It was less humorous when I learned that the NMH kid was on track to beat both of my kids.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 04:09:22 PM »
Have a game with Neil Regan and you can see that this is well within the realm of possibilities.

Bob

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 04:10:51 PM »
maybe I should try using one....maybe then I'll make my first hole in one! :(
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 04:11:02 PM »
Have a game with Neil Regan and you can see that this is well within the realm of possibilities.

Bob

All I've shared with Neil was a wonderful dinner, sans putters. :)

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Joe Hancock

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 04:12:22 PM »

Or, alternatively, just pay attention to how your wife plays the par 3's.... ;D

(No, I won't let go of it! ;D)

Joe

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 04:18:39 PM »

I can't make a twenty-footer, why would I want to start using my putter more? ;D I prefer hitting lob wedge and then complaining that the shot was in my 'trouble area' yardage. ;D

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 04:23:40 PM »

I can't make a twenty-footer, why would I want to start using my putter more? ;D I prefer hitting lob wedge and then complaining that the shot was in my 'trouble area' yardage. ;D

the thing is, I am a pretty good putter, so maybe I should start using it more often!

and yea Glenn, those half-wedge shots are brutal man! ;)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back