News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Noel Volpe

secession / austin golf club
« on: December 05, 2006, 10:33:57 AM »
hi.  am interested in any observations folks have on Secession and on Austin Golf.  i'm trying to learn more about each of these and have heard super things about them.  i went thru the GCA profile on Secession already.  open to any and all impressions.  appreciate anyone's insights.  thanks.

Noel Freeman

Re:secession / austin golf club
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 10:46:00 AM »
I dont like this   ;D.. Another Noel , who is my age and living in NYC... something is odd here.. The odds of this are enormous
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 02:12:03 PM by Noel Freeman »

John_Cullum

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 10:55:15 AM »
We can tell you apart by the use of the shift key.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Noel Volpe

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 11:36:18 AM »
i can change my name...

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 11:37:28 AM »
Welcome Noel,

You're in the vortex now! Escape is impossible.

Noel Freeman

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 12:05:38 PM »
That's very harsh Brad considering what you've seen at Kingsley Club, Crystal Downs and the Creek over the last few years..  

Noel Freeman

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 02:12:58 PM »
You are right, at least 2 sub 80 rounds, but even I shot in the low 70's at the Creek after being 3 over after 2 holes!

Those were your warm up holes brad.. Just remember how dangerous and low I would have gone in Michigan if I could PUTT.. I blame it all on Cirba from the night before while listening to his rap.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 02:18:32 PM »

Those were your warm up holes brad.. Just remember how dangerous and low I would have gone in Michigan if I could PUTT.. I blame it all on Cirba from the night before while listening to his rap.

Noel,

My ears are ringing...

Are you saying that you found some of my extracurricular activities in Michigan distracting?  

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 02:22:38 PM »
No offense, but I was looking forward to hearing about Austin Golf Club and Secession when I clicked here.... ::)
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 02:26:51 PM »
You're right Brad...

Leave it to Freeman and Miller to screw up a thread.   :P ;D

Cliff Walston

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 05:41:12 PM »
I have played AGC several times and really enjoyed it, although its been a while.  The thing that stood out to me the most was the way the course sat on the ground.  Austin does not have much topsoil, and a lot of courses look built up.  This course just sits right down on the ground as if it were built 100 years ago.  The rough is all native grass that is un-watered, so carts are forbidden in the rough.  The course flows around the property as you would expect a C&C course.  The bunkers use more natural red clay/sand mix and are not really the scraggly type found at other of their courses.  AGC does make great use of natural features including an old rock wall, a natural spring sinkhole that provides the course's only water hazard, and a natural ridge that the clubhouse sits on where a number of holes play up to.  Overall, I think it’s a great course to play occasionally, but not necessarily one I would want to play every day as my sole club.  It is secluded, unbelievable service, and generally not crowded and does an outstanding job of being what I perceive its intended to be: a secluded golf only retreat.  There are several members who troll this board.  I will encourage a few of them to post more detailed descriptions than I feel comfortable providing, given my limited play out there.

Noel Volpe

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 07:31:35 AM »
appreciate the feedback.  anyone have a point of view on Secession?  someone told me it might be one of the best "walks in golf"

Mike Policano

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 11:18:55 AM »
Noel,

Welcome to the board!  And since I know both Noel's, I will be pleased to get you both out together in the Spring.

Regarding Secession, I assume this is the one in South Carolina.  Given your ability, I think you will find Secession a very enjoyable and challenging course.  It has one of the tougher opening drives that I have experienced.

The green complexes are often set up so that you can only miss on one side, the other side being a watery grave.  This is except for the island par 3, 17th hole, which there is no side to miss.

The course is exposed to wind, the water is used very well with little repetition.  It is a very difficult course for me since I can't control where my misses go (not to mention I have too many misses).

It has an excellent playing membership.  They play fast and let quicker groups through immediately.  They also have a very good caddie program.

I assume you will be staying over at the Club.  This too is a treat.  If you are in the neighborhood, I highly recommend a round "next door" at Chechessee Creek.

You will definitely want to go directly from 18 to 1 again when you play it.

Cheers, Mike

Noel Freeman

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 11:31:12 AM »
Mike-

Awfully kind of you, I look forward to Noel get together.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 11:39:44 AM by Noel Freeman »

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 01:31:36 PM »
Noel Volpe:

Welcome aboard!  It's been a while since last we spoke.  

Fair warning to all, Noel V.'s joining the group just brought the New York team's chances of winning The Union Cup waay up.   ;D

Cheers,

Jason

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 10:39:55 PM »
I have played Secession only a few times.  The course is over relatively flat ground on a marsh.  The course is good but nothing to really get excited about, although it has a very strong finish.
It is used as a retreat for out of staters.  As such it is a great place to be.  The staff, accomodations, food etc are much better than the golf.  It is caddy only course and is very walkable.  
Others on this site will know better than I, but Bruce Devlin is credited with the design but he came in late when Pete Dye(?) refused to make certain changes.  I think that is correct if my memory serves me.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Noel Volpe

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 12:34:00 AM »
appreciate everyone's e-mails.  thanks kindly.  will have the pleasure of seeing both austin and secession soon and hope to be in touch with some thoughts.

as for my golf game, think you all have me confused with someone else...i'm just a chopper who loves the game and hopes to hit it straight once in a while.

n

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back