News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Steroids in Golf
« on: November 28, 2006, 12:13:17 PM »
Geoff Shackelford has an interesting piece this morning on how tour players feel that the use of performance enhancing drugs is "unfathomable".

Funny, it seems that the majority of players cite the fitness regiment that today's players put themselves through as the main reason for the ball going so far. If that's true, it stands to reason that steroids would help them, that is, if that were the main reason they were hitting the ball so far.  ;)

Hhhhmmmmm.....
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

jmorrison

Re:Steroids in Golf
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 12:16:12 PM »
I believe its technology that makes the ball go so far. It is the fitness regime that keeps the player fit not only physically but psycologically for the four gruelling rounds.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 12:18:06 PM »
See my post on the 2nd shot thread about the guy that hit it over the crevasse on #8 Pebble......more on this at our date this afternoon.....
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 12:18:33 PM »
they should test...if there's nothing to hide why not...can only help the image of the game

a great move by the LPGA to start testing
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 12:22:34 PM »
See my post on the 2nd shot thread about the guy that hit it over the crevasse on #8 Pebble......more on this at our date this afternoon.....

Jon, that's incredible!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 12:32:31 PM »
they should test...if there's nothing to hide why not...can only help the image of the game

Disagree wholeheartedly!

The game asks how many, not how.

Following other sports in this manner lowers golf.

Golfers have in the recent past, risen in the ranks of marketable properties because of their clean cut image.

Testing, would remove that edge in perception.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 12:34:48 PM »

Disagree wholeheartedly!

The game asks how many, not how.

Following other sports in this manner lowers golf.

Golfers have in the recent past, risen in the ranks of marketable properties because of their clean cut image.

Testing, would remove that edge in perception.

but wouldn't passing steroid tests only enhance those clean cut images Adam?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 12:50:29 PM »
Paul, I don't believe anyone believes Steroids are the abused substances. Do you? What about Amatuers? Will the USGA have to follow suit because it would necessitate creating a new rule. Wouldn't it?

Creating a list of substances specifically for golf would be an interesting exercise in futility.

I'd be in favor of testing under these conditions. The winner of the tournament would recieve 90%+ of the purse and testing him/her is therefore mandatory. This mindset of paying all the losers a living wage needs to be re-thought.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 12:52:51 PM »
If you want a scandal, let's talk about plagerism in architecture.

JESII

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 12:54:56 PM »
You're sick...totally sick....

Aaron Katz

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 01:01:46 PM »
If you increase strength without decreasing flexibility, simple biomechanics tells you that this will enable more clubhead speed with equal effort (leading to increased distance) or equivalent clubhead speed with less effort (leading to increased control and stamina).  To this extent, all golfers would clearly be helped by steroids at least up until the point that the extra muscle mass decreased flexibility in an amount greater than that mass increased strength.

JR Potts

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 01:25:38 PM »
Been told that the use of growth hormones is commonplace on Tour....every Tour.

mikes1160

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 01:46:16 PM »
Been told by who???

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 01:55:54 PM »
I would worry more about use of beta blockers and tranquilizers then growth hormone and steroids. Calming the heart rate and steadying the hands will do as much as a bit more strength.

Walt_Cutshall

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 02:06:08 PM »
Young guys are working out like mad these days (and hitting the ball miles). There is no doubt in my mind that there are performance enhancing substances being used in golf. It's not just steroids--there is a wide range of substances that can give you an edge. There can be many benefits to such substances, but one of the most common is that you can work out longer, and more often, thereby increasing your strength, speed and quickness.

Not all of these substances bulk you up. Look at competitive cyclists. Those guys are built like broomsticks, yet their sport is riddled with performance enhancing drugs.

Golf needs to get ahead of this and start testing ASAP.

JR Potts

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 02:17:31 PM »
Been told by who???

I would have to be an idiot to speak about my sources.  Especially in a public forum.

EDIT - And Mike, you still haven't answered my question.  Why are 5% of your posts directed at me?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 02:23:26 PM by Ryan Potts »

JR Potts

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 02:31:41 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/3101343.stm

Why might a sportsman take it?

In simple terms, to increase muscle size. Because there is a correlation between muscle size and strength, competitors in events that require power and short bursts of explosive strength would be most likely to benefit.

It also allows tired muscles to recover quicker - allowing you to train harder and more often.

Sounds like it would help quite a bit in the golf swing....and when playing golf 6 days a week for 7 months.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 03:09:37 PM »
Guys, I urge everyone to read the SF chronicle writers Bonds expose and you will see that performance enhancing drugs have advanced WAAAAAAAY past the winsterol and stanzo days that made guys just bulk up like king kong.  Nowadays guys take a simple cocktail of various drugs that increase muscle mass without making them look like freaks, but also lower heart rate, decrease fatty tissue, provide extra stamina and energy and various other unfair advantages over those not taking performance enhancers.

On top of that, teenage girls are turning to these dangerous drugs to lose weight without exercising, high school athletes are becoming sick and/or depressed.  Some suffer fatal heart attacks.

Here is the link:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/03/08/MNGAKHKF371.DTL

Ask yourself "do I want my son taking a drug that increases fertility in cattle?"  or "something that adds fake testosterone, but limits his body to produce natural testosterone down the road?"

Hanging is too good for steroid cheaters.

JESII

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 03:19:37 PM »
Interesting take Jay.

By the way, your full link to the SF article did not come through.

I'm sure this has been covered before in all sports, but as it pertains to golf, is it cheating if you are using today?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 03:24:00 PM »
Yes.  I do not believe in the "we can do violence to the spirit of the law with out even running afoul of a single city ordinance."

If you are taking something banned now or that you reasonably believe would be banned in the future - or anything else you would not want reporters or the public to know you are taking that gives you and edge - you are cheating.

...and should swing.

JESII

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 03:27:16 PM »
Agreed.

I wonder what the possible hesitation is on the parts of the ruling bodies in golf. I can't seem to find a realistic negatve stigma from performing the tests. Anyone?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 03:27:33 PM by JES II »

JR Potts

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 03:32:49 PM »
How about this, what if the HGH is in the prescription form?  HGH really helps bad backs....and there are a lot of those on the tour....and it is legal when taken pursuant to a prescription.  Hence my rampant usage allegation.

JESII

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 03:43:23 PM »
Just get a doctor willing to sign his license over for the sake of your career...probably not as difficult to find as one would hope.

How are the PGA Tour guys aligned? Is there any semblence of a union?

JR Potts

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 03:56:16 PM »
Just get a doctor willing to sign his license over for the sake of your career...probably not as difficult to find as one would hope.

How are the PGA Tour guys aligned? Is there any semblence of a union?

You don't even need a doctor to sign his license over for the sake of ones career.  A lot of these guys probably have legitimate back pain that is best treated by, conveniently enough, HGH.

Mark_F

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 04:54:50 PM »
If you increase strength without decreasing flexibility, simple biomechanics tells you that this will enable more clubhead speed with equal effort

Then how do you explain Nick Flanagan or Geoff Ogilvy being such big hitters?

Don't know the stats off the top of my head, but I would think that both drive it further than Michael Campbell, who would be able to bench both of them with one hand and still have time to puff a ciggy with the other hand between reps.

Anabolic steroids would have minimal if any effect on a golfer -other substances are probably more pertinent.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back