News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie struthers

Kelly Moran and the Hideout
« on: January 18, 2002, 05:47:58 AM »
Kelly

A few of my friends are members at the Hideout in Naples, Fla. I thoroughly enjoyed the rounds I played there, nice job. Can you give us osme insights on your thouhgt process in designing same. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Kelly_Blake_Moran

Re: Kelly Moran and the Hideout
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2002, 09:44:00 AM »
The principles were keep it simple, and focus on strategy.  Tried to provide some choices on the teeshots, and to have distinct pin areas.  The owners had a list of items they liked which were well thought out.  Like all my projects, I attempted to find what was special about the land and use that to enhance strategy and beauty.  There is no need for manmade beauty if you can bring to the forefront what are the natural characteristics that make the property beautiful.  In that way you can spend more time on strategy, strategy is the focus, it would have been the first beatitude at the Sermon on the Mount if Jesus played golf. The special characteristic of the property is the 4 feet of sand over a coral caprock.  That is why there are many sandy, scrubby areas around the holes.  Instead of planting wall to wall bermuda, we either planted natives or just left the sand exposed.  Again, very simple, yet many comments about how unique the course is in Southwest Florida.  That speaks volumes about Southwest Florida courses.  HideOut merely uncovers the special characteristics of the site, no ornamentation, no overall massive earthmoving, very simple concept, very simple bunkers, no wavy lines, yet it is unique.  In some ways I think the designers tried that at Tiburon, but failed.  Thanks for your interest.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 12:21:36 AM »
I played the Hideout this morning for the second time (once last year) and all I can say is that its a really great golf course no one talks about. Coming from working at Calusa Pines which is a course everyone talks about constantly and is always being touted as the best the Hideout was a refreshingly fun layout to play here in Naples. Reading through old threads of posts from the designer Kelly Blake Moran, like the ones above, they really jumped out at me because they summed up what I was feeling while playing. Just a great appreciation for the land and an excellent routing. The course has a great flow to it and even though the routing takes a jog across the road for the last 6 holes (aka the woodshed) it doesn't feel forced at all. Anyway just wanted to bring the course (and designer) to the top of the the DG and get more people's thoughts. Really need to digest it myself to put into words what I really liked about it and even more so the second time around.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 12:25:25 AM by Patrick Hodgdon »
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Dan Boerger

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 02:06:10 PM »
What Patrick said! I play this every year and really look forward to it each time. Played the tips last time, which made for some very demanding tee shots. Wonderful use of water, which seems (to me at least) to be overdone at so many Naples area courses. Also, the natural waste areas are wonderful. Not in love with the blind approach on 16 (I'm pretty sure that's the hole). Terrific green sites.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 10:49:13 AM »
So after having a very enjoyable round at The Hideout on Tuesday (see post above) I was trying to find the words to say how and why I appreciated the course. Well by doing a little research on KBM on his site I found most of the answers on his "philosophy" page (which btw really is philosophy which is refreshing).

http://www.kellyblakemoran.com/philosophynew.html

Some highlights that summed up my feelings:

"The natural elements that make the land beautiful actually play a major role in the strategy.  Therefore, a course strategy that cooperates with nature, enabling it to release its power through its own particular beauty, rather than imposing an artificial idea of beauty on the land will always be a beautiful golf course.  And, the golf course will only get better as all traces (construction) of our having been there vanish."

So basically they take what the land gives them and try to incorporate as much of it into their designs in terms of affecting strategy. Thats what I really liked. I like having to think out on the golf course but whats great is that its not overdone, "targety" type golf you see so much of in FL. I also really like how the land and routing protects/adds strategy to the shorter holes most importantly with the prevailing wind. I also liked that at different points you can swing away, others you really have to think, and at other times it is very mcuh a shot-makers course.

"It can be said with great confidence that a course can provide a strategic design of the highest order, can provide for the lesser player to enjoy the course, and can respect the exceptional value of the natural features of the land, and incorporate these features into the experience of the course.  We have discovered that what is basic about the goodness of any course is its strategy.  Land-based design, with a strong emphasis on the course strategy is a specific engagement with the land that can produce a highly imaginative design.  Land based design has mass appeal.  It has been employed at all our courses that are open for play, and people are having strong, positive reactions to the look and the strategy."

I am looking forward to going back and playing the HideOut again in the future and getting even more out of it as well as playing some of KBM's other courses. I really think he is on to something with the land-based design approach.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 04:54:03 PM by Patrick Hodgdon »
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 12:13:18 PM »
The Hideout looked really nice in the site pix, and the description of Kelly's philosophy intrigued me. Thus motivated, i looked for a KBM course nearer my home, since I am unlikely to make Florida, even if they let me on.

There is a course only 1/2 a day from me in PA, call Morgan Hill. It looks sweet, is semi-private, so accessable, and it is priced to play. May have to get it on my list.

As I searched for the site on Yahoo, I found an interesting article about Morgan Hill.

http://www.greenfoothills.org/action/10-2003_GolfCourse.html

Ah, Kelly, you philosophical naturalist, you.  :D Treehuggers are after ya! Tsk tsk.

Doug

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 01:05:17 PM »
Doug looks like there is two Morgan Hill golf courses. The one you found on yahoo is in Cali with all the tree-huggers.

Here are pictures from the one near you.

http://www.kellyblakemoran.com/morganhillphotogallery.html

Doug Ralston

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 02:02:29 PM »
Doug looks like there is two Morgan Hill golf courses. The one you found on yahoo is in Cali with all the tree-huggers.

Here are pictures from the one near you.

http://www.kellyblakemoran.com/morganhillphotogallery.html

Aw-w-w! I was having fun with poor KBM.

Glad it is not his course. I had indeed looked at those pix, and the site they actually belong to. It is still a long way from Cincy, but we have talked about trips in that direction. I think this little gem would be on our list if we get in the area.

Go Kelly!

Doug  *hugging his oak*

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
"The natural elements that make the land beautiful actually play a major role in the strategy.  Therefore, a course strategy that cooperates with nature, enabling it to release its power through its own particular beauty, rather than imposing an artificial idea of beauty on the land will always be a beautiful golf course.  And, the golf course will only get better as all traces (construction) of our having been there vanish."

And all this time I thought Max Behr had died in 1955. You learn something everyday.... ;)

Bob

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 04:08:53 PM »
Kelly does have a way with words, doesn't he Bob?

Golf course architecture is a fine blend of art and craft and science and intuition. I think the profession has room enough for the occasional architect with a philosophical bent, the romantic, the poet, even a mystic now and again. The idealist, but one who manages not to be laid low by the demands of business and worldly affairs. I think what I like most about Max Behr is what he aspired to...as if golf course architecture and the game of golf were worthy of such lofty words and aspirations.  And ever since the industrial revolution, one of the aspirations that's become most common is a 'one-ness' with nature and the natural world, and the peace that comes with that.  I have a feeling that the difference between our modern world and Max Behr/his era is that Behr wasn't embarrassed to openly seek and promote that experience in the context of a game of golf, while we on the other hand are and have been....as if it's unmanly or unsporting. Our definition of what's "sporting" seems to have narrowed in the last 80 years or so, not expanded.  If I'm not mistaken, Behr was an accomplished amateur golfer and competitor who at the same time advocated for "rough-less" golf courses and a highly naturalistic environment and aesthetic; maybe that was an unsual combination even back then, but it sure seems an even more unusal combination today...almost unheard of in fact.    

Peter
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 05:10:29 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 08:59:33 PM »
hey just to see how the public reacts, Mr. and Mrs. Havekamp...my 75 y/o mom and 84 y/o dad played there and analyzed the GCA thusly:

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=267

From the piece:

Dad said, "12 was my favorite par-5. Also, I liked the 9th. They have these four trees in the middle of the fairway and you have to go through them or around them. I suppose you could go over them, but the only way to go over is to hit it way the hell up in the air! I can’t do that. There’s lots of dog legs and it’s constantly changing routing direction wise. It was really interesting.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back