News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Slatter

Re:The most sets of tees you have seen
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2006, 05:49:08 PM »
Devil's Pulpit had at least six tees on many holes.

When my wife and I played Prestwick our host said they didn't charge for her, "if they charge women we'll have to make tees for them". There was one set of tees for all players, perfect for Prestwick.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2006, 06:08:19 PM »
I believe the 11th hole at Laurel Hills has 10 sets of tees!!!  I have never heard of more.  JC

Tim Leahy

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2006, 06:09:42 PM »
I believe that when Industry Hills Ike opened in the early 80's it had six sets of tees, including an "outrageous" set of black tees at 7600 yards including a 500 yard par 4. Who knew? I think after several years they removed some of the tees including the back ones. I rember the score card looked like a bowling sheet with all of those yardages.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Shane Sullivan

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2006, 05:37:03 AM »
One thing I don't understand is the practice of having tees for low handicap men, mid handicap men, high handicap men, low handicap women and high handicap women.

Why can't what tee you play off be determined by how far you carry a certain club, regardless of gender.  That would reduce the need for so many tees.

Also, courses should be rated for women for more than just the forward set of tees. My home course only has the front tees rated and every now and then I would like to play from the middle tees and be able to submit my scorecard and have the increased difficulty reflected.

In fact, it would be great if all tees were rated for both genders - my husband and I could have some very interesting matches playing from his back tees or my forward ones.

ForkaB

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2006, 06:00:05 AM »
I once rolled out of the Burghfield bar to an 8am tee off at Dornoch, and I could have sworn that there were at least 7 tee markers at the medal tee.  I just threw my ball down, kicked it about a bit until my playing partners told me it was behind the real markers, and played away.  Ah, golf was so simple in the olden days........ ;)

Chris Cupit

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2006, 07:30:42 AM »
One thing I don't understand is the practice of having tees for low handicap men, mid handicap men, high handicap men, low handicap women and high handicap women.

Why can't what tee you play off be determined by how far you carry a certain club, regardless of gender.  That would reduce the need for so many tees.

Also, courses should be rated for women for more than just the forward set of tees. My home course only has the front tees rated and every now and then I would like to play from the middle tees and be able to submit my scorecard and have the increased difficulty reflected.

In fact, it would be great if all tees were rated for both genders - my husband and I could have some very interesting matches playing from his back tees or my forward ones.

Shane,  

We have four sets of tees with "player's courses" between each set.  Yardages are:
7005, 6676, 6429, 6077, 5775, 5412 and 5103

We have ratings and slopes for 5 tees 7005--5775 for the men
and 5 rated/sloped tees for ladies--5103-6429

Our state golf assoc did this for us and it is easy for them to do.  Also, if they won't come and re-rate/slope your course, the USGA handicap manual tells you how to do this manually and create slope/rating for your members from any set of tees assuming you have an up to date rating/slope for the rest of the course.

JC Urbina

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2006, 12:28:45 PM »
Chris Clouser.   I once told Tom Doak at dinner many years ago while traveling  across Pennsylvania, that I was proposing a new design concept that would allow for only one teeing ground.   This was spurred on by the fact that people just kept adding more and more tees to golf courses.   This starting point would be used for all players and it would me mowed at one height so that everyone knew where to start.  It would have an irregular shape an be rather large.  But the concept would be that instead of the catch phrase that is so widely used today " A tee for all players" the buy line would be  "A bunker for all players".  It is in it's development stages.

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2006, 10:36:08 PM »
Shane, good point on ratings for both men and women.  We have 5 sets of tees at our course from 5,000 to 7,550.  The front 2 are rated for both men and women.  We never call our front tees the ladies tee but just refer to them as the forward tees.  Our founder who is 87 yrs old plays the forward tees as well as one or two other men so we had them rated for the men.  We also have a couple of lower handicap ladies who play from further back tees so we have those rated for them.  The only downside is the ratings are very high from the other tees for women and we had one female who is probably 0-2 handicap who always played from the 6,400 tee and the rating was so high she was a +5 handciap on GHIN.  So that is one of the problems that can arise from that.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2006, 10:40:27 PM »
Nick,

Whats your best from 7500...

I hear its a tricky course...

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2006, 06:45:59 AM »
Nick,

Whats your best from 7500...

I hear its a tricky course...
The 7550s arent open yet.  My best from the 7300 is 75.  With the recent changes to the course hopefuly people wont refer to it as "tricky"  but more playable and challenging than before.  Nicklaus wanted to make sure he got thigs just right and took much longer and worked much more on the greens than we expected.  The 5 holes that had major work on them will be un recognizeable when it reopens.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2006, 12:08:33 PM »
Nick — The "most" would probably be the infinite number of ancient "courses" where the start of play was up to the participants — there being no real "holes" per se. In this case there are millions of tee locations! Of course, I have not seen this personally, but there is decent cause to believe that golf's first courses were of no organized system...certainly none with "tees".

The idea of multiple teeing grounds is actually quite entertaining...holes play in exponential ways when you set courses up in different ways. (Although I suspect you are annoyed by the multiple colors, distances, and confusing yardage equations.)

Desmond Muirhead designed a hole with about 25 tees. It was a par-3 and I recall the tee complex being about 100-yards in one direction and another 100-yards in another. Sort of  "V" shape. I do not know how many "official" rating pointe (distances) the course is measured from.

I can tell you that State golf associations are now rating many more "courses" than they used to. For example, we now see owners/operators requesting official ratings for up to 8 or 9 different "course ratings" at one golf course...

> Forward
> Forward/Seniors combined
> Seniors
> Mid Tees
> Seniors/Mid Tees combined
> Regular
> Championship
> Regular/Championship combined
> Tournament

We are also seeing a rating be done for kids tees — typically a distance rating that uses forward tees and, in many instances, points forward of forward tees where kids might have more fun.

We are working on a course currently that will have official ratings, but the owner is seriously deciding to not have any tee markers at all. The only markers would be permanent markers at each tee — which is two or three teeing grounds per hole.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2006, 01:54:12 PM »
Forrest should be familiar with this one, but Desmond Muirhead, on his "Temple" hole at Imperial literally had them everywhere, literally surrounding the hole from every angle and direction except from behind the hole. Desmond was sort of disappointed that they stopped maintaining all of these leves as tees, but the hole is....interesting.....(from a buddhist perspective!)

Here's a link and you can see Desmond spent some time and expense on teeing ground there.

http://www.imperialklubgolf.com/index_sub.asp?fuseaction=Course

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2006, 03:49:57 PM »
Tommy N. speaks of Hole 5. Probably the best Desmond creted at Lippo. My opinion.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back