News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Glenn Spencer

Could Dev. Emmet go to his left?
« on: November 17, 2006, 09:28:34 AM »
I played a lot of golf at Huntington CC before I realized that there were no holes that went to the left there. I think this is a sign of a pretty damn good golf course. The 17th has a slight, ever so slight move to the left, but I am not counting that. There is nothing to the left here at all. I can't completely remember Huntington Crescent Club, but that seems to be the sam way from what I remember. Garden City has no real swing in either direction. Is this something that just happened at a few courses on Long Island? Was this his preferred routing? Anyone know of some dogleg left Emmet holes? Thank You

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Could Dev. Emmet go to his left?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 09:34:29 AM »
Glenn,

# 16 at GCGC swings to the left pretty well.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 09:35:15 AM »
Thank heavens it fits my game....RHE...or did I develop it because of the course?

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 09:41:12 AM »
Glenn:

According to Dan Wexler's "Lost Links" Emmet swung or turned at least one hole left at Meadowbrook Hunt Club, a couple left at Pomonk CC and three left at Old Westbury CC. At the latter the 3rd looks very interesting with optional fairways---the safer play making the hole very much right to left.

One of those latter two my mother described as 'the prettiest golf course' she'd ever seen.

In my opinion, it would make perfect sense if Devie Emmet swung to the left more than any architect because, after all, Devie was the one who invented "Gay" architecture. I think the fact that he didn't swing his holes to the left more than he did just shows that he was partially in the closet during most of his career.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 09:46:08 AM by TEPaul »

T_MacWood

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 09:55:16 AM »
St. Georges (NY) has two or three holes that turn left...Emmet's home course I believe.

Based upon what I've seen Emmet does appear to favor the straight hole, maybe an influence of St.Andrews, but like St.Andrews the straight path is not always the best path on those straight holes. Two of his favorite ploys to influence the path: diagonal cross hazards and offset angles of fairways and greens.  

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 09:59:07 AM »
Bethpage Green course Holes 4, 5, 9 & 13.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 10:01:31 AM »
What is now Lake Isle CC (Eastchester NY) and formerly Vernon Hills CC has a sharp dogleg left 16th hole downhill off the tee to a stream crossing the fairway blind and diagonally at the botton of the hill and then sharply uphill to a green bunkered right front and false front down to the fairway.

The original first hole was about 440-450 with q slight dogleg left (shortened to about 300 yards for a parking lot).  The second hole was also turned to the left back towards the first green.

The short par 5 eight also requires a right to left tee shot.

It's a cute course that's pretty balanced for shot values.  ALL of the Dev Emmet features and quirk especially the bunkering was completely demolished by Stephen Kay some 7-10 years ago.

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 01:26:48 PM »
 Hole number 2 at Cherry Valley Club

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 03:56:13 PM »
The 4th at Eisenhower Park Red course is a wonderful par four that is a significant dogleg left.

There is absolutely no doubt that our boy Emmie could swing both ways!   ;D

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 04:10:21 PM »
The 4th at Eisenhower Park Red course is a wonderful par four that is a significant dogleg left.

There is absolutely no doubt that our boy Emmie could swing both ways!   ;D

I feel that I have sinned by not having played this course yet

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 07:18:54 PM »
MikeC:

Do you think Emmie was a cross-dresser?

I mean seriously, one wonders why Marion Hollins really hired him to do the Women's National.

Not just that but I have the Women's National's archives right here in my house and I've been going through some of it. It's absolutely remarkable how quickly Marion filled up that memberhship and one of the ladies was a D. Emmet.

What do you think?

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 10:44:13 PM »
Bethpage Green course Holes 4, 5, 9 & 13.

Phil-

Are these holes from Bethpage Green all Emmet?  

I know Tillie brought the starting and finishing holes to the clubhouse side of Round Swamp Road.  

In your research of the Park and Tillinghast, have you located information as to what on the Green is Tillie and what is original Emmet?  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back