News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Daughters

Edgy Architecture
« on: October 12, 2006, 04:35:02 PM »

Two new courses in the Atlanta area, two different designers but some strikingly similar tendencies.

One leans toward mounding, the other toward dig outs (probably not a gca term), but in both cases the lines tend to be straight and geometric as opposed to flowing and irregular.  

The tendency was especially noticable on the course I played yesterday, which also had a lot of oval-shaped pot bunkers especially around the greens.  Some leaned this way and that, but again the overall impression was of geometric regularity.

As if to emphasize the motif, at least one of the greens was built like a series of connecting plates, which I found to be interesting.

Coincidentally or not, both courses feature abundant bunkers within the confines of the fairway.  On one they add strategy, on the the other they often seem pointless.

I found it intriguing that both architects seemed to be trying very hard to make distinctive visual and playability statements and both did so in a strikingly similar fashion.

Does any of this sound familiar?  Something of a trend or mere coincidence?

THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Jay Flemma

Re:Edgy Architecture
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 05:50:41 PM »
...are you refering to a new course at reynolds?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 06:48:28 PM »
Gary, is one of them on the Alpharetta/Roswell border?

Gary Daughters

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 07:14:43 PM »

Jay -- no

Philip -- no

I'm not being deliberately coy.  These are things I noticed after one play on each course and as such they are initial impressions so I don't want to go into too many specifics.  Call me a wimp.

Both are residential developments that allow daily play.  Both are south of town.

Again, I found the similarities striking.. the geometrical motifs.  Wondered if anyone else was seeing anything similar.  That's pretty much all.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Chris Cupit

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 08:43:48 PM »
Gary,

Can you spill the beans now?

Gary Daughters

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 09:19:11 PM »

Chris,

That's some serious digging you did, and so you deserve an anwser.  Durham Lakes would be exhibit A, and not one to be recommended.  

The other example, and less so, is Crystal Lake.  I'd be interested to know your take on it.  I think it's quite good.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 09:58:44 PM »
Thanks--I've heard of Durham Lakes but not Crystal Lake.  
I'll make sure and check them out.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back