News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JohnV

Book - Golf Courses: Fairways of the World
« on: November 16, 2006, 01:48:35 PM »
I was reading about the new book Golf Courses: Fairways of the World, which is supposed to have some of the best golf course photography ever printed.  The list price is about $195 and Amazon has it for $122.  There will only by 5,000 copies printed.

Before I spend that much money has anyone gotten a copy and is worth it?

Link to Amazon: Fairways of the World
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 01:49:51 PM by John Vander Borght »

PThomas

Re:Book - Golf Courses: Fairways of the World
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 02:22:22 PM »
John - it's on Xmas list so hopefully I can tell you later on...if Santa thinks I've been good ;)

it does look sweet...and some of the pictures fold out to 5 feet, I think!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Peter Pratt

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 02:24:09 PM »
I popped for it and have no regrets. The size and quality of the photos are incredible. It may not be the very best book of golf courses photos, but it's right up there.

Evan_Green

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 02:27:22 PM »
I bought one as well - I posted a previous thread on it. Its a very high quality product- the pictures are tremendous. Also the pictures themselves are unique. Certainly one of the best golf picture books.

you also get a  signed and numbered proof of St. Andrews included as well

I give it a strong thumbs up
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 02:27:43 PM by Evan_Green »

bakerg

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 02:29:39 PM »
I just ordered this book along with Where Golf is Great.  I was laughing when I realized the combined weight of these two books tips the scale at just under 19 lbs.  :o

Evan_Green

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 02:31:20 PM »
Gary

You are going to love both of them - two of my favorites

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 03:54:43 PM »
I would love to hear more about after anyone goes through it.  Does it have anything new to it?  Or is it just another coffee table book that just so happens to cost over $100?

Gary Slatter

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 06:58:03 PM »
I just ordered this book along with Where Golf is Great.  I was laughing when I realized the combined weight of these two books tips the scale at just under 19 lbs.  :o

I ordered it too, and several others, and the shipping to the Bahamas would have paid me to fly to Florida and pick them up. The Sebonak one is out of stock at Barnes & Noble, shipping Dec 13.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 12:39:16 PM »
John,
   I have seen both the Finegan and book you are asking about. The Finegan is far superior. Good pix of mostly great or interesting courses.
   The Fairways book has very good pix, some foldouts that give you a picture 3-4 feet wide! However, there is very little text, and MANY mediocre to unknown courses. If you like beautiful pictures, you may like it. If you are interested in great golf courses you will not. Also the book is quite unwieldy and I doubt the binding will hold up well. My friend's copy was already cracking, and he takes better care of his books than anybody I know.
     The Finegan is a much better value in my opinion, and is the one I will purchase when I have some spare coins.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 03:56:24 PM »
Thanks to everyone.  I've got Finegan's book and love it.  I was wondering if this one was worth the price.  Sounds interesting, but I think I'll find something else to spend my money on for now.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 05:15:42 PM »
That's a nice jacket photo on David Cannon's book.

It amazes me how many places that photographs of Cape Kidnappers have shown up.  I got an American Express travel brochure earlier this year; it showed photos of the Sydney Opera House and Uluru (Ayers Rock) for its Australian tours, but for NZ the only photograph was of Cape Kidnappers!

wsmorrison

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 05:42:20 PM »
A friend of mine was showing me his copy and it was impressive.  There are some amazing photographs and the size of the book is immense, especially since some of the panaramic photos spread out to four pages wide.  There are a lot of photos of some Smyers and I think Els courses  (they are contributors) but only one page on Pine Valley, Merion and a few other American greats.  It and the Finegan book are weighty but worthwhile.  The Cannon book is, as I recall, just photographs while the Finegan book discusses sights to see, hotels and restaurants around the featured courses along with great photography.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 05:43:12 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back