News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Finegan's Fire ...
« on: November 16, 2006, 01:43:15 PM »
Enjoyed reading the latest issue of Golf Magazine -- was struck by the comments of long time golf writer Jim Finegan.

He was asked in a quick Q & A concerning his latest book what the most overrated golf course he has played.

The answer?

Garden City Golf Club

The rationale provided is also quite interesting.

I can only hope Jim will be as forthcoming in other comments when the subject of courses is discussed.

I don't have the exact quote but will post it later.

ForkaB

Re:Finegan's Fire ...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 01:49:55 PM »
Surely Finegan Beginagain didn't opt for the obvious reasons--Mucci and Keller hang out there? ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 02:06:31 PM »
"He was asked in a quick Q & A concerning his latest book what the most overrated golf course he has played.

The answer?

Garden City Golf Club"

That sure is interesting. I wonder why. If I were to hazard a guess it just may be that so few of GCGC's holes "turn". It could be that Jim is particularly fond of golf holes that turn somehow. It would make sense since he said his favorite hole in the world is PV's #13 and that turns. He also seemed especially enamored of Cricket's #16 when, according to Michael Bamberger, Jim stood on the tee with his arms outstretched and then bellowed "Classic AMERICAN dogleg left!"

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 02:28:53 PM »
The exact question asked to Finegan was:  "What's the most overrated course in the world?"

His response:  "Garden City Golf Club in Garden City, NY.  It's mundane, with a bland par-3 finishing hole over a pond.  It just sits there."

He was also asked his favorite course in the British Isles.  His response:
"In Ireland, Ballybunion, Old.  In Scotland, North Berwick.  Both are tumbling, thrilling and theatrical!"

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 02:32:02 PM »
I've always gotten the impression -- from his books -- that Finegan really likes courses that heave and move and have bold natural features that are incorporated into the course routing. Thus, he much prefers a course like Royal St. George's over Carnoustie, to cite on comparison. GCGC sits on a fairly flat piece of land, no?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 02:33:48 PM by Phil McDade »

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 03:47:08 PM »
Finegan did a very abrupt about turn on Carnoustie.  He reckons it is down to the changes which started happening in the early 90s which Rich G. says are a mere bagatelle.  I do think in general Finegan likes courses which are  bold in their landforms.  To be fair, Finegan isn't a one trick pony.  He thinks very highly of Ganton, Woodhall and Walton Heath Old.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 03:55:27 PM »
 The man was asked a question and he chose to answer it. So ONE course has to be the most overrated in his mind. Is he saying GCGC is not a good course? I don't think so. I do like his choices for favorites listed there.

I wonder if he is influenced in his thinking  about "greatness" by the Flynn courses in Philly, particularly Philadelphia CC where I think he is a member. That influence can affect the best of us.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:02:47 PM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

wsmorrison

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 04:05:38 PM »
Which courses are on Jim's list of favorites?

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 04:17:39 PM »
 Read above, but I'll save you the time. Ballybunion and N.Berwick were his favorites in Ireland and Scotland.
AKA Mayday

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 04:26:27 PM »
has anyone ever asked Jim about becoming a GCAer??
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

wsmorrison

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 04:56:02 PM »
Paul,

Jim doesn't own a computer nor does he want to.  He writes his books out in longhand and then types on an old typewriter (an Underwood, I believe).  So he won't be on GCA.com anytime soon, too bad.  I have a wonderful 36 minute DVD of Jim speaking at the last Flynn Invitational.  I wish I could post it so you guys could get a sense of how great he really is.

PThomas

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 05:30:51 PM »
Paul,

Jim doesn't own a computer nor does he want to.  He writes his books out in longhand and then types on an old typewriter (an Underwood, I believe).  So he won't be on GCA.com anytime soon, too bad.  I have a wonderful 36 minute DVD of Jim speaking at the last Flynn Invitational.  I wish I could post it so you guys could get a sense of how great he really is.

that is too bad Wayne, as I'm sure he would have many great, thought-provoking opinions

I think his books are quite enjoyable
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 06:34:46 PM »
Please help me with the name of Finegans new book?

wsmorrison

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 06:42:57 PM »
"Where Golf is Great, the Finest Courses of Scotland and Ireland"

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 07:00:08 PM »
Due to the generosity of some fellow GCA'ers I have the book, simply stunning, both in prose and photographs.

I have however, hired a personal trainer to help me get strong enough to lift it into my lap, it is a big bugger.

bOB

T_MacWood

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 11:02:11 PM »
Finegan is a great writer, over the years I've enjoyed his articles on Ashdown Forest, Cruden Bay, Aberdovey, Brancaster and County Down. That being said I'm not sure his architectural acumen is up to snuff...the founder of this site has had his doubts for many years.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 11:45:23 PM »
Tom, I agree on the issue of golf architecture, but find his work to be the best of its kind on the market.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 04:35:01 AM »
Having loved his past books , I was disappointed with 'Where Golf is Great' .

I totally agree with what Sean says , and was surprised to see it was comments from past books re-hashed around photography that I thought was average .

Brian

TEPaul

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 07:30:13 PM »
"That being said I'm not sure his architectural acumen is up to snuff..."

Tom MacWood:

His architectural acumen is not up to snuff??

Up to what snuff? Yours?

Finegan's architectural acumen, experience, first-hand and otherwise could and does absolutely blow someone like you away. One thing Jim Finegan will never come close to matching you on, however, is an attitude of self-importance.

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 07:37:37 PM »
"It is far too big to comfortably handle and it doesn't offer much that isn't contained in the trilogy."

Sean:

In his own way, Jim Finegan can be one of the most humorous people I've ever known. It's interesting what you just said about this book not offering much that wasn't in the trilogy.

A few years ago I asked Jim what he was doing and he said:

WELL, wouldn't you just know it, I've written a book on all the courses over there and now my publisher has asked me to write one on each country. WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THE PURPOSE OF THAT after I've written one on all of them?

:)

I should've said:

Jim, when people fly abroad they are limited to 44 lbs and they'd rather not have most of it taken up by your book.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 07:41:25 PM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back