News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Your own prize winning drawings??
« on: November 30, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Everyone is familiar with MacKenzie's award winning drawing. Equally, everyone has marvelled at Simpson's sketches in The Architectural Side of Golf.I have tried - and I imagine I am not alone in this group - to draw ideal holes. I fail miserably, and that is putting it kindly.Can anyone make such sketches? If so, Tom N. or any of you techo's, can we scan them onto the Discussion Group??I think seeing each other's best "work" of say an ideal one,two, and three shotter would be FASCINATING.

John Sessions

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
I am ALL for the idea but I too am hopeless at it. Maybe someone could do an In My Opinion article on those ideal holes? Just a thought.

Ted_Sturges

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Ran,How about you and John coming up with a hypothetical topo map (maybe with enough acreage for 2 or 3 holes), and put it on the site for us to download.  Then you can have a contest to see who among us (Liddy and Doak, as professionals can't compete) can design the best set of holes.  I think one of the golf magazines did this a few years ago and it looked like fun.  Just an idea.TS

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Sounds great to me!I will include more later as I'm late for a meeting right now, but will add some input as soon as I get back.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
OK, back from the meeting!I suggest the following.One of the participating Architects give us an area to create the best golf hole, par 3, 4, or 5.  If they could have a picture of the site, just one and then let the games begin!No matter how good/bad an artist you are, any drawing will do, and maybe we can post it on GCA as mentioned above, or you can send it to me, I can scan it and then post it in this DG.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
THAT SOUNDS GREAT TO ME but why limit it to a picture of a site? Let's do an overhead sketch and let people pick whatever land they want (links, heathland, Canadian Rockies, whatever).Tommy, why don't you lead us with your rendition of a great two or three shooter?Cheers,

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Sorry, I meant to include an overhead of the site and anything essential to let us know what we are working with.I have a drawing I did of a hole I call "The Sandy Parlor" which of course was a name I stole from a hole in England in the 1900's.  I will have to find it tonight when I get home from work.You will have to pardon the art work though, I'm a very frustrated artiste! (Meaning I can't figure what side of the pen is up or down!)

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:Your own prize winning drawings??
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 01:45:59 PM »
This old post seemed worth pumping back to the top.  Anybody got any bright ideas for a relevant piece of virgin ground?

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 01:57:37 PM »
How about Tom Paul selecting a piece of ground on his property, getting a topo map drawn up and the winning design gets built by a bunch of us.  I'll bring a shovel and hope its a minimalist/natural design so I won't have to dig much.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 02:03:31 PM »
Actually, I am surprised that this group does not simply use the topos from Geoff's book.

e.g.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=23695
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back