News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Thompson

It is flashy and it is good golf but it isn't a great course.
« on: November 16, 2006, 04:13:54 AM »
"It is flashy and it is good golf but it isn't a great course. "  Tommy Wiiliamsen made this comment on another thread relative to a piece of the Trump golf empire.

Who would be the top ten courses if this were to be and ranked?

More importantly, what lessons can be learned in the trade offs between flash and substance??
Jim Thompson

Chris Cupit

Re:It is flashy and it is good golf but it isn't a great course.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 02:07:21 PM »
For Atlanta:

White Columns GC (Nice and bland)  Big new clubhouse and they added swim and tennis! ::)

Golf Club of Georgia (Lakeside only since Creekside sucks and doesn't even qualify as good)

Cherokee T & CC  (The renovation made it easier and it looks like alot of the course budget goes to crepe myrtles, hosta and annual plantings)  Everything they do there is perfect, the clubhouse and downtown club are awesome and yet after a round there it seemed like I was playing in a botanical garden.  It's almost too pretty!?

Hawk's Ridge  (beautiful if you like wall to wall edged bermudagrass and raked pinestraw--most people comment on how you can putt on the bent tees--never heard anyone come back and talk about any particular hole or the architecture!)  The fake waterfall coming out from behind the 15th green is as fake as anything seen in someone's landscaped back yard.

As far as lessons go I think flash sells and there is a market for it.  Client golf is about entertaining and impressing, not necessarily enjoying or appreciating  golf.  I think White Columns and Cherokee are doing very well.  I am sure Cherokee has a long waiting list and I think White Columns is near capacity.

The other courses are struggling for members--the down side of flash is that it's very expensive and once you market that you have to maintain it.

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 04:28:12 PM »
Fazio's "fill in the blank here".

Somebody had to say it.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 05:59:35 PM »

Sean

Shame on you. I hope no one else from Aldarra is watching.

As for flashy and good but not great, you are speaking of most of Palm Springs and thereabouts. Resort courses where they have to have some feature like a fancy waterfall behind the green to put in their advertising.

I would add Abbey Glen near Toronto. 11th, 17 and 18 there all seem to fit that category.

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 06:18:41 PM »
The Bridge

Gary Slatter

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 06:53:14 PM »
Aviara, Lion Head, Glen Abbey, Devil's Pulpit first hole
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Chris Cupit

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 10:04:43 PM »
Flashy to me would be an enormous clubhouse and just a so-so or good golf course.  Basicly, money spent on things exteraneous to golf.  Let me preface some on this list by saying--I AM NOT SURE about these--I am basing the first list only on hearsey and I will be happy to be corrected and apologize.  But, how about:

Valhalla
Medinah
Olympia Fields
Whatever course they just played the Ryder Cup on
Valderama in Spain
The Belfry

I have played these: (no apologies here ;))
Adios GC  (awesome locker room--I honestly can not remember one hole)
Gleneagles (I was underwhelmed by the Kings course)  The little par 3 course was fun :)
Oak Hill CC (I played an amateur there (for 2 days!) and it is very good, but I couldn't call it great).  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back