News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

North Palm Beach CC, FL (Nicklaus redesign)
« on: November 17, 2006, 07:44:28 AM »
From today's Palm Beach Post:

Nicklaus-redesigned North Palm course set to open

By Craig Dolch

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, November 16, 2006

It's still at the same location and it's still 18 holes of golf, but few players will recognize North Palm Beach Country Club when it reopens Friday after a major redesign by neighbor Jack Nicklaus.

The public course has been transformed in seven months from a basic, driver-wedge layout to one that will test the skilled players while still allowing high-handicappers to enjoy their round.

Nobody can say Nicklaus didn't give them their money's worth.

"I charged them one dollar for the design fee," said Nicklaus, who gave the same bargain to Lost Tree Village (where his family lives) and Ohio State University (where he went to school).

When Village of North Palm Beach officials started their search for an architect, few thought it would be the golfing legend who lives about a mile away but has never played the course. Village council member Ed Eissey asked Nicklaus almost as an afterthought.

"He said that I probably wouldn't be interested, and I told him don't be silly," Nicklaus said. "I've lived here and seen that piece of property for 35 years. It's a fantastic piece of property. I know that property should have a golf course the village would be proud of."

Nicklaus changed the routing of the holes and stretched the layout from 6,300 yards as a par-72 to a par-71 that can play at 7,100. Nicklaus said that while he wanted to make the course more appealing to a quality player, he didn't want to make it too difficult for many of the older residents.

To that end, he tried to leave the fairways more open in the 220-yard range to lower the degree of difficulty. The farther someone hits it, the more trouble is brought into play.

"It's been brought up several levels in terms of quality and interest," said David Norris, North Palm Beach's mayor and a 5-handicapper who was among 30 people who played the course Wednesday. "Jack did exactly what he said he was going to do. If you're looking for a challenge, moving to the back tees will give you that. But the people who played the front and middle tees said it was a lot of fun."

Nicklaus tried to take more advantage of the elevation change that is rare in Florida.

"There's more than 30 feet of elevation change," he said of the course. "It's probably on the same dune structure that runs through Seminole."

Here's the rest of the article:

www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2006/11/16/1116npbgolf.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

john_stiles

Re:North Palm Beach CC, FL (Nicklaus redesign)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 08:31:42 AM »
I know it is all about moving forward and making things 'better.'

But why no mention this was Raynor's last design ?   Was this footnote not even worth some black ink on white paper ?

john_stiles

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 05:00:28 PM »
Seem to remember several years ago,  a young man named John (not me) and a George Bahto going over a drawing of how this NPB course could be returned to a Raynor.  I was a curious 'bystander' who enjoyed learning and hearing of this possibility.

The skeleton was there for the work, but it didn't interest the powerful few given that the locals had another idea and a national hero to build it.

It's gone and you hope the new course works out better.

Still it seems like at least a mention of Raynor in the article would have been appropriate given that the old course is now completely and officially dead.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 05:37:55 PM »
John

Would NPB Village have been proud of a restored Raynor or more proud to have a Nicklaus? It's all about branding these days. Also, the Village would have had to pay a design to fee to someone other than Nicklaus.

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 05:42:39 PM »
John

Would NPB Village have been proud of a restored Raynor or more proud to have a Nicklaus? It's all about branding these days. Also, the Village would have had to pay a design to fee to someone other than Nicklaus.

Steve

The village never heard of Raynor, nor have 99.9% of the golfers. JN is a god to most

I would have preferred Raynor

Cary
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 05:43:06 PM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 06:20:22 PM »
Cary

Is it that hard to get a tee time at NPBCC in season? I'd like to play it in January.

Steve

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 06:20:39 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

jefffraim

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 09:19:31 AM »
I went over there a few years back and they had an aerial of the original Raynor design (Biarritz, Redan, Eden, etc.) At some point (50's) they built houses and rerouted the course. I drove by there the other day and it looked like it was still growing in with patches of dirt on the fairways. I hope for there sake they are not opening to soon because it will be a zoo there once they do.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back