News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Marine Memorial GC, Camp Pendleton, CA (Wm. P. Bell)
« on: November 15, 2006, 08:46:46 AM »
Is now open to the public:

Here's an excerpt from Tod Leonard's article in the San Diego Union:

These days, the sanctuary is a little less exclusive. With so many of Pendleton's troops in Iraq, Marine Memorial has taken a financial hit, and the unprecedented decision has been made to open the course to the public Tuesday through Thursday ($27 walking, $37 with a shared cart). Mondays, when the course traditionally has been closed for maintenance, also will be available starting Dec. 1. In the past, civilians could only play as guests of a military member.

“The numbers just aren't there,” said Director of Golf Doug Blanchard. “And the thought was, we want to give something back to the civilians in the area. We want to thank you for supporting our military personnel.”

There's probably a healthy percentage of golfers in San Diego who don't know Pendleton has a championship golf course (6,865 yards from the blue tees), or that it was once considered one of the prize “gets” in county golf if you could finagle your way on. Lee Trevino played there when he was in the Marines, as did a former female lieutenant, LPGA and Marine Corps Sports Hall of Famer Patty Berg.

Designed in 1948 by the prolific William P. Bell – architect of La Jolla and San Diego country clubs and Torrey Pines – Marine Memorial has been a haven to those in the military through the major wars in Korea, Vietnam, the Persian Gulf and now Iraq. Between Oceanside and Bonsall, not far from Pendleton's back gate, it meanders through a scrub-brush canyon dubbed Windmill Valley because of its prevailing strong breeze.

With no water hazards, that wind is the course's major defense, along with its sticky kikuyu fairways and fringe. Oaks, sycamores and eucalyptus are plentiful, and golfers from courses such as Cottonwood, San Luis Rey and Fallbrook might see some similarities.
“You're not going to hit any houses out here,” Blanchard said with a grin, although he does joke with the golfers about not straying too far off the course to look for golf balls.

It is a unique golf setting, with the concussion of cannons in the distance and the occasional buzz of a low-flying helicopter. Those howitzer (who needs a wimpy shotgun?) starts for tournaments are attention-getters, too.

Here's the full article:

www.signonsandiego.com/sports/golf/20061114-9999-lz1s14marine.html
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 08:47:50 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Marine Memorial GC, Camp Pendleton, CA (Wm. P. Bell)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 09:37:48 AM »
Here is the front 9:

Here is the back 9:

Here is the course website:

www.mccscamppendleton.com/recreation/golf/index.cfm
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 12:21:23 PM »
Thanks for the link; I had given up hope of playing here! Reputed to be one of the best in the OC/SD area with a good design, trees, and no crowds!
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 12:38:55 PM »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 08:01:46 PM »
I played there when I was stationed on the base in the 80's, I don't remember it being anything too great. I will be interested to hear from those who get out there to check it out.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 08:20:46 PM »
Ed,

Camp Pendleton is an extremely pleasant golf experience, like most Bell courses it makes the best use of the natural terrain, always with an eye out for good drainage. It's a figure eight routing through a valley with a small creek through the middle, counter clockwise going out, clockwise coming back.

There aren't any truely spectacular holes, the short drop shot par 4 11th would be the most memorable hole (top of the back 9 ariel). Surely not worth a special trip, but well worth a visit if you're in the area. One of it's charms is the secluded nature of the course; nothing to disrupt the view.

They were maintaining the course a little on the shaggy side the last few times I played there, nowhere near as fast a greens as Mira Mar, which are like glass; as the article mentioned they were closing on Mon. simply because they couldn't afford to stay open.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back