News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Long Island USA's Surrey and Berkshire
« on: November 13, 2006, 11:03:09 AM »
I have been enjoying my copy of The Metropolitan Golf Association Centennial book.  Even though I knew of the great courses on Long Island, I was still amazed at the number of historic and quality old courses on LI.  We all know about NGLA, Shinny, Maidstone, GCGC, and Bethpage. Throw in Southhampton, Inwood, Creek, Engineers, Fresh Meadows and a string of others and it is mind-boggling.  The only places I can think that compares in number and quality are Surrey and Berkshsire in England.
Add to that number Atlantic, Friar's Head, and Sebonic and a golfer could live exculsively on LI and die happy.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jason Blasberg

Re:Long Island USA's Surrey and Berkshire
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 11:11:53 AM »
If we still had our NLEs links of Lido and Timber Point LI would no doubt be the single greatest golfing region in the World.  As is it's pretty high up there.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 11:13:53 AM »
Fresh Meadows

Tommy:

While you may know it should be noted that the current Fresh Meadow is not the original and is on an entirely different site.  It's not the same location that had the storied history.  It remains, however, a solid layout with exciting green complexes and varied topography.  

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 11:19:41 AM »
When Jason runs for County Executive, I will vote for him if he puts Traffic as his first issue and Restoring Timber Point as his second issue. Getting to some of these great courses can be a marathon!

JMorgan

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 12:33:32 PM »
Tommy, tell me about it.  When you map out NYC metro area courses, and add Westchester County and North Jersey, I doubt that any region in the world compares.  Ross, Travis, Tillinghast, Strong, Colt/Alison, CBM, Banks, Flynn, Emmet, Dunn, Park Jr., Bendelow -- it's quite a list based on the Golden Age guys alone, never mind C&C, Doak, Hanse et al.   One of the best places to live for golf is probably Central New Jersey, as one can add all of the great courses in the Phila. area to the L.I., Westchester, N. Jersey mix.  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 12:34:25 PM by James Morgan »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »
I don't think you could ever run out of golf courses in the NYC metro area.  The courses are varied and most very good.  I think you are right that there is no richer golf than in the metro are.  The MGA Centenial book is just wonderful.  I strongly recommend it.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

ForkaB

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 05:26:47 PM »
Tommy

The central belt of Scotland is roughly the same size and shape as Long Island.  It includes....

Carnoustie
St. Andrews (Old, New and Eden)
Kingsbarns
Gleneagles
Muirfield
North Berwick
Gullane
Loch Lomond
Western Gailes
Prestwick
Troon
Turnberry

...and just think of the others in that area whom I've not chosen to list.

Surrey and Berkshire combined couldn't match that list, as neither could Long Island, great as both of those venues are.

IMHO, of course.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 05:57:47 PM »
Tommy

The central belt of Scotland is roughly the same size and shape as Long Island.  It includes....

Carnoustie
St. Andrews (Old, New and Eden)
Kingsbarns
Gleneagles
Muirfield
North Berwick
Gullane
Loch Lomond
Western Gailes
Prestwick
Troon
Turnberry

...and just think of the others in that area whom I've not chosen to list.

Surrey and Berkshire combined couldn't match that list, as neither could Long Island, great as both of those venues are.

IMHO, of course.

Not sure Rich but I'm guessing travelling by road from Swinley to Sandwich is a similar distance and you've got a real fight on your hands if you allow Berkshire/Surrey/Kent. ;D
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 06:38:21 PM »
Rich, I'll give you that central Scotland has great golf courses.  And they certainly have had greater press than some of the lesser known lights on Long Island.  But the big four with Fishers' island, Inwood, Creek etc might give them a run for their money.  I'll tell you what. Come across the pond and we'll do LI and I'll come your way and test out your courses.  Sounds good to me.
St. John of the Cross

wsmorrison

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 07:19:15 PM »
The Westchester, North Jersey and Long Island area is too large a region.  What about the courses within 40 miles of Lower Manhattan and 30 miles of Philadelphia.  I gave the NYC area a larger radius because the 5 boroughs are spread out over a larger area.  If we stuck to a comparison between 30 mile radii, I don't think it would be a very close comparison.

I don't know the NYC area as well, but these are the clubs I recognize within a 40 mile radius of Manhattan:

Garden City
Inwood
Rockaway Hunt
Ridgewood
Moutain Ridge
Alpine
Essex County
Somerset Hills
Knoll
Baltusrol Upper and Lower
Plainfield
Upper Montclair
Quaker Ridge
Fenway
Canoe Brook
Forsgate
Siwanoy
Wykagl
Winged Foot East and West
Deepdale
Piping Rock
Creek
Cherry Valley
Westchester
Trump Bedminster

How do these compare to within 30 miles of Philadelphia:

Aronimink
Gulph Mills
LuLu
White Manor
Merion East and West
Pine Valley
Philadelphia Country
Philadelphia Cricket
Rolling Green
Waynesborough
Bidermann
Wilmington CC
DuPont CC
Tavistock
Medford Village
Huntingdon Valley
Manufacturers
Whitemarsh Valley
Stonewall Old and North (just over 30 miles for sticklers)
Riverton
Philmont
Sunnybrook
St. Davids
Hartefield National

Is there a better 30 mile radius anywhere?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 07:43:45 PM by Wayne Morrison »

JMorgan

Re:Long Island USA's Surrey and Berkshire New
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 07:47:48 PM »
cranberry sauce
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 05:07:41 AM by JMorgan »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 08:02:52 PM »
Wayne,

You forgot Walnut Lane, a course befitting a Ran & John Morrissett Course Profile.  

That should put us over the top. ;)

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 08:50:09 PM »

Is there a better 30 mile radius anywhere?

Southampton, NY
Monterey, CA
Dublin, Ireland
Belfast, Ireland
St Andrews, Scotland
Australian Sand Belt

Sorry Wayne, without links or water, Philly is too one dimensional to be considered top shelf.  :D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 08:57:06 PM »
Sorry Wayne, without links or water, Philly is too one dimensional to be considered top shelf.  :D

Sweeney,

You've obviously been drinking the Bayonne/Red Bank water supply!  ;)

If you think Walnut Lane is one-dimensional, you should get over to FDR down by the Spectrum.

Ever see a swamp-style golf course, buddy??   ;D

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 10:18:06 PM »
Mike,

I think I played FDR once in high school. I honestly can't remember. Well assuming I did, I got FDR and Walnut Lane over Matt Ward's portfolio!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 10:42:37 PM »
Mike,

I think I played FDR once in high school. I honestly can't remember. Well assuming I did, I got FDR and Walnut Lane over Matt Ward's portfolio!

Mike

And he'd have us all believe he's well travelled!  

That's the thing about FDR.   It's so stealthy (by design) as to be almost invisible and it's virtually impossible to remember any single hole after playing.   Certainly unique in that respect, and it's clear to me that Alan Corson and Edward Clarey were geniuses. (yes, I actually dug up old newspapers on microfiche to determine the architects/engineers responsible for this beaut!)

I can't think of the single course in the NYC area that has such wonderful vagueness and imperceptiblity.  

Are you ready to concede yet?   ;D

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 10:55:17 PM »
I guess this come down to more people, more money, more courses except in Rihc's beloved Scotland which is light on both compared to the others on the list. Could one do this per capital or maybe on most quality, the most days of the year and come up with a formula for the most opportunities to play a great course the most times in one year.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 11:57:31 PM »
clearly the UK offers the most 'opportunities to play' - I live in New Jersey and have played many of the finer courses in the Met region, usually at the invitation of generous member-friends - when formerly living in Virginia Water I found that one phone call was all that was needed to access the finest of the Surrey/Berkshire heathland

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 09:35:44 AM »
Wayne,

I think you Long Island list is missing a certain public course that hosts US Opens. I have that at about 35 miles from the City, maximum. Huntington CC is right there as well. A very underrated golf course and a Dev. Emmet design. Probably not worthy of inclusion here, but I love it.

JMorgan

Re:Long Island USA's Surrey and Berkshire New
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 09:59:29 AM »
Wayne,

I think you Long Island list is missing a certain public course that hosts US Opens. I have that at about 35 miles from the City, maximum. Huntington CC is right there as well. A very underrated golf course and a Dev. Emmet design. Probably not worthy of inclusion here, but I love it.

Try doing a 40-50 mile radius from Grand Central Station... that's quite a bit of good stuff.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 05:05:55 AM by JMorgan »

JESII

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 10:10:09 AM »
To me, this discussion should be based on a reasonable one day drive to and from the course from your home base, this was mentioned above by someone referrencing North Jersey. Think of the courses you could play within 90 - 120 minutes from there. I would guess Rich can (and maybe has) come up with a list to compete.

OK boys, lay them on the table. Best 20 courses within 2 hours drive from both North Jersey and whatever spot in Scotland is centrl to those courses.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 10:12:33 AM »
James,

There is so much good golf there. Scotland may have the big boys close together, but for quality, I am taking Long Island. Have you seen the Huntington Crescent Club? There are a few good holes out there as well. Isn't someone of note responsible for that as well?

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 10:13:28 AM »
To me, this discussion should be based on a reasonable one day drive to and from the course from your home base, this was mentioned above by someone referrencing North Jersey. Think of the courses you could play within 90 - 120 minutes from there. I would guess Rich can (and maybe has) come up with a list to compete.

OK boys, lay them on the table. Best 20 courses within 2 hours drive from both North Jersey and whatever spot in Scotland is centrl to those courses.

I agree, 2 hours is really what the number should be. That is nothing, if you have interest at all to see the place. What about Muttontown. I have driven by that place so many times on 25A and I think it looks so good. It has driven me crazy, I think I would rather play there than Augusta, also, that Pine Hollow can't be too bad either, right?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 10:16:25 AM by Glenn Spencer »

JESII

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006, 10:17:04 AM »
Glenn,

I could not make a list, but I can't wait to see what these guys come up with because both areas seem loaded.

Wayne,

I love the Philly area as well, but please do not embarass us anymore with those head to head list comparisons with the MET section. It makes me feel bad.

JMorgan

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2006, 10:37:23 AM »
Glenn, HCC is an Emmet/Tull design.  Muttontown is a solo Tull.  I have not played them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back