News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Re: Listening to Chamblee talk about grass...
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2015, 08:32:11 PM »
And how did the seed get there?  The lizards, coyotes, and other animals probably forgot to wash their shoes.

I'm guessing the wind carries the seeds around?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Adam Clayman

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2015, 09:48:09 PM »
There's a very simple common sense way to keep poa from spreading on newer courses. Train your crew what it look likes and give them cart blanche' to cut it out with a knife before it gets bigger than a quarter. The damage will heal.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Phil McDade

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2015, 11:03:15 PM »
Interesting article in the Milwaukee paper about grass and other comparisons between CBay and Erin Hills, with the news that EHills will not be available for any play (presumably public; I'm guessing practice rounds by qualifiers will likely be allowed) in 2017 until after the U.S. Open:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golf/erin-hills-a-course-of-a-different-color-to-chambers-bay-b99524655z1-309417941.html

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2015, 11:21:55 PM »
Well, I guess there are a lot of Chamblites out there.
There are very few people in the world who know the story behind the turf at Chambers Bay, and they aint talking, and I don't blame them.

William_G

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2015, 12:20:19 AM »
And how did the seed get there?  The lizards, coyotes, and other animals probably forgot to wash their shoes.

exactly, as if humans can control everything, LOL except for Augusta the week of the Masters of course :)

It's all about the golf!

Steve Okula

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2015, 12:51:37 AM »
Poa seed is small, and light, there are over 2 million seeds per pound. It doesn't need to be carried by animals or golfers, it is dust in the wind.

The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Steve Okula

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2015, 12:54:12 AM »
There's a very simple common sense way to keep poa from spreading on newer courses. Train your crew what it look likes and give them cart blanche' to cut it out with a knife before it gets bigger than a quarter. The damage will heal.

In favorable conditions, on a 100+ acre site like a golf course, there will be a countless multitude of Poa plants germinating every day.
Most maintenance staffs have all they can do already without spending mind-numbing hours digging Poa out. If a guy mowing greens spends just 10 minutes on each green scouting for Poa "smaller than a quarter" and digging it out it will add 3 hours to the job.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Marc Haring

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2015, 05:18:32 AM »

Yes as Steve say's, easy in theory but not in practice. There's been many a high end facility with unlimited resources that have failed to keep it out using this method.

Marc Haring

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2015, 05:25:32 AM »
Marc:

Yes, but Castle Stuart isn't ten years old yet.

The difficulty in keeping poa annua out of the greens is that it has an ally in Mother Nature.  In most climates where bent or fescue are grown, you will eventually get a wet summer where you can't kill off the poa by drought, and then you've got a big enough population that it's hard to let it all die the next year.

You may well be right Tom but St Andrews is more than 10 years old and i'm pretty sure they've managed to eliminate poa although they do have a mix of bent and fescue. I do think it can be successfully used but only in very specific climates and I'm guessing the Pacific NW is not one of them.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2015, 11:24:17 AM »
I spent two weeks in St Andrews in the summer of 1989. They were in the midst of a heat wave and they refused to water the greens at TOC in order to "burn out" the meadow grass. The greens were extremely crusty and it was difficult to make putts. We actually chose to play Carnoustie where they were watering and to my untrained eye the greens seemed to have a high percentage of Poa; they putted just fine though.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Adam Clayman

« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2015, 11:34:58 AM »

Yes as Steve say's, easy in theory but not in practice. There's been many a high end facility with unlimited resources that have failed to keep it out using this method.

It takes a village!

That's why it should be mandatory for the super, and as many other crew members, to play the course as often as possible.  :)

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back