News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

One of the great underestimated areas of golf in this country has to be the eastern suburbs of Cleveland. In fact, I wonder if Cleveland may be deeper than Columbus for great examples from the Golden Age? Tillinghast, Flynn, Thompson, Strong, and Alison all were afforded excellent opportunities and better yet, some of their work here hasn’t been butchered like some Golden Age work outside of other major cities.

In the case of Alison, just one look at the Kirtland profile  :o will tell you that this was no ordinary piece of property. Folks like Dan Belden from this site have long sung the praises of KCC. With Forse Design’s work now in the home stretch, the course is back to playing as great as it did when golfers like Jones and Palmer once roamed its fairways. Like Alison, I don’t think Kirtland gets the recognition that it deserves. See if you don’t agree based on its course profile, which is laced with comments from Ron Forse and his associate Jim Nagle.

As a much added bonus, Green Keeper Chad Mark details the Kirtland green expansion process that saw the greens go from 120,000 to 152,000 sq. ft.. For those math challenged,  that's a 25% plus (!) reclamation project and it brings KCC's total putting surface size to now just under 3.5 acres. Chad ’s standalone piece can be viewed by clicking on the link under the seventh hole or by going to the In My Opinion section. There are a few courses like Yeamans Hall, Beverly, Eastward Ho!, Sleepy Hollow, Holston Hills, etc. where the putting surfaces have been properly restored to edges of the green pads but I hazard a guess that 90% plus of the Gold Age courses could still reclaim 15% plus of putting surface (and as we all know, the best hole locations are often those that are recovered by pushing the putting surfaces back out to pad’s edges). How Chad and his crew, working closely with Forse Design, accomplished this is a MUST READ for anyone on a green committee.

In sum, Forse Design did a top rate job in bringing back Alison’s sense of scale and lack of clutter. The ‘quiet elegance’ (as Forse puts it) of Alison’s design is there once again for all of us to appreciate. Coupled with the excellent fast and firm playing conditions that maximize some of Alison’s subtle playing features, the course/club has returned to its peak. Indeed, some people now consider this to be right at top  in the golf rich state of Ohio with such courses as Camargo and The Golf Club. See if you think they might just be right...

Cheers,

Phil McDade

Ran:

Thanks for highlighting a true below-the-radar course from my old stomping grounds (eastern suburban Cleveland). You're right -- the eastern suburbs are home to a number of well-regarded but generally not-well-known courses such as Pepper Pike, The Country Club, Sleepy Hollow, Canterbury (probably the best known of the bunch, and host of a few majors), and Chagrin Valley. Lots of top-flight architects worked in the area, including Ross, Thompson and Flynn.

Chris Garrett

Ohio generally gets overlooked in many facets of life, not just golf.  I would add the Donald Ross designed Shaker Heights CC (next door to Canterbury) to that list of courses.  It should come as no surprise that Cleveland's eastern suburbs are rich with classic courses from the "Golden Age" of golf course architecture.  After all, Cleveland was a thriving industrial town at the turn of the century.  In fact, a stretch of Euclid Avenue on the east side of Cleveland was dubbed Millionaires Row, a product of the industrialist's mansions that lined a stretch of that street.  During the late 1800s into the early 1900s, the mansions on Euclid Avenue had a higher tax appraised value than the mansions on Fifth Avenue in NYC. 

Even in Cleveland (my old stomping grounds), Kirtland often gets overlooked.  Canterbury, Shaker Heights, Pepper Pike and The Country Club tend to dominate the golf talk.  Thank you for posting the profile, Ran.  It is fun to once again see these courses from my past.

Larry_Keltto

I grew up about 3 miles from Kirtland CC, so I'm excited to see the course scrutinized by Ran. Thank you for the profile and congratulations on what appears to be an impressive restoration.

Tom_Doak

Ran:

That property looks AMAZINGLY similar to Milwaukee Country Club -- in fact if I wasn't very familiar with Milwaukee (we are doing consulting work there) I would have sworn your pictures were of the wrong course.

Paul_Turner

Ran

I've wanted to see some good photos of this one for a while (Milwaukee too), ever since my mate Mark Chalfant raved about the place.  Is the terrain even more undulating than Hamilton (Canada)?

Interesting at how different the bunker construction is when compared with the Japanese courses.  Sea Island also looked to have pretty simple shapes whereas Hirono et al are much more like Colt's UK work, but fancier.

Poor Alison doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

PS

Is that electrical pylon slap bang in the middle of the fairway or is it an optical illusion and the pylon is further back?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 10:17:03 AM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

PThomas

Kirtland is quite good, i highly recommend it
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Gerry B

on my list for the last couple of years - might be the best in cleveland area from those whose opinion i trust

Craig Sweet

Thanks for that great profile! What a sweet looking course..
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Mike_Trenham

The most under-rated course I have played in my opinion.

Thanks for the piece on the green expansions.  We have done a few at my club in recent years but have always taken the turf from existing greens like when we lost our putting green to a new clubhouse.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Jeff Shelman

I played Kirtland about a year ago and thought it was tremendous. Some of the tree removal was complete and there was much talk about getting things back to how they had been.

I thought the angles on the course were great.

Looking back at '07, this and Idle Hour were the two biggest surprises as courses that don't get a lot of attention, but were great.

Tom_Doak

Paul T:  Milwaukee CC is certainly not as undulating as Hamilton G & CC, so I suspect Kirtland isn't, either.

Sean Remington (SBR)

Well done Chad. What a great project.  Will the additional 32,000 sq. ft. add several hole locations? 

Phil McDade

For those interested in seeing Alison's work up close, the Milwaukee Country Club (along with neighbor Brown Deer, site of the local PGA Tour stop) is hosting the USGA Mid-Am tournament this year, Sept. 6-11. Milwaukee CC really keeps quite a low profile, and this is a rare opportunity to see the course for those who can't waggle an invitation to play there.

Volunteers needed!

http://www.usmidam.org/

For Paul and others, here is a recent GCA thread on MCC with some good pics from Brian Sleeman:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,27115.0.html

mark chalfant

Ran

Thank you for this splendid review of  a very memorable  Alison course. Another course that you must see on your next visit to Cleveland is Mayfield in South Euclid. Brilliant routing in pastoral setting that is graced by a winding stream. Topography,  quirk, and  variety to the hilt.  For  any fan of  6,400  quirky  gems Mayfeild   is a revelation.   Mayfield, only about 15 minutes form Canterbury, is certainly one of the great  hidden gems in the  Midwest

THANK  YOU  for this wonderful  website  !!

Evan Fleisher

Ran

Thank you for this splendid review of  a very memorable  Alison course. Another course that you must see on your next visit to Cleveland is Mayfield in South Euclid. Brilliant routing in pastoral setting that is graced by a winding stream. Topography,  quirk, and  variety to the hilt.  For  any fan of  6,400  quirky  gems Mayfeild   is a revelation.   Mayfield, only about 15 minutes form Canterbury, is certainly one of the great  hidden gems in the  Midwest

THANK  YOU  for this wonderful  website  !!

Mark,

Agreed!  I played it for the first time last summer, and will be back this year to check out the final bits of work they were completing whilst I was there in 2007.  Really enjoyed the place.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Phil McDade

Evan:

Pics would be in order :)

Evan Fleisher

Evan:

Pics would be in order :)

D'oh!  No shots of Mayfield, only of Kirtland last Fall...will be sure to get some this year however!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

mark chalfant

Paul  Turner:

Hamilton's front nine is much more undulating than holes 1-7 at Kirtland. However, I much prefer the back nine at Kirtland, to the back nine at Colt's gem in Ancaster. Although 10-12 at  Hamilton is a rousing start, the 4-5 holes following, that begin the march home, seem to suffer from renovation fatigue.

Hamilton  is a stern, and often dramatic test, with many excellent holes but overall I prefer Kirtland. In fact the entire strech from 7-18, carved from an Ohio valley,  maybe the best place to play and to appreciate the brilliance of Charles  H. Alison,  in all of  North America. The scenery, elevation changes, and splendid variety make Kirtland seem like an unforgettable Golden Age symphony
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 11:52:36 PM by mark chalfant »

Glenn Spencer

Re: Kirtland Country Club profile and Green Expansion piece are posted
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 04:07:41 AM »
The most under-rated course I have played in my opinion.

Thanks for the piece on the green expansions.  We have done a few at my club in recent years but have always taken the turf from existing greens like when we lost our putting green to a new clubhouse.

I was on the other site of that fence when I played it in 2002. The front nine seemed a little slow to me. I liked #1, I guess, outside of that, I wasn't impressed at all. 10,11,12 and 13 make for a good stretch, though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back