News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

Mike Young's new course in Madison, Georgia...
« on: November 09, 2006, 10:20:13 AM »
Back in the mid-70’s I convinced my wife that we should go see this new movie that was opening that weekend. We would end up seeing it five times in the next three weeks, convincing ourselves that we were doing so because we needed to show our friends what we had “discovered.” The movie was Star Wars and we all know what it became.

I had the privilege of enjoying a round with Mike Young yesterday at his newest creation in Madison, Georgia. I want to be among the first to put into print that this is going to be a very special golf course, and I do so with the front nine is just now ready for play and the back nine being months away from opening as it was just sodded a few weeks back.

I can’t wait to bring friends out to this course and to see what it will become in the future. It is really that special.

Here is a course in a very quaint, slow-paced (once you get off of I-20) area of Georgia. It is what small-town America should be. I got there a bit early and so headed into town just for a look and found myself parking the car and walking a few of the tree-lined streets and wandering into a true antique store before heading back to my car, and here was my first that I was about to have a special day – standing at a street corner waiting for the traffic to clear so that I could cross, drivers in both directions came to a stop and waved to me to cross!

The course itself, and Mike showed it off with all the pride of a new father of quintuplets, is laid out over gently rolling land and meanders naturally to it; there is no feeling of fitting holes into a future housing development even though there is an entire community planned for the site. Mike had no constraints put upon him by the owner as to where the course must be and each hole very naturally fits into what came before and what comes next.

It will be a course that is playable by any golfer no matter talent, ability or age. It is very walk-able, yet the cart paths for those who choose to ride, are limited to green and tee sites and the sandy color of the cement where they do exist, fit into the areas unobtrusively.

Each hole has multiple tees, five to be exact, all carefully placed to create individual challenges with hazards built into the hole specific to these. The length of the course is as follows:
•   Gold   – 7472
•   Blue   – 6971
•   White – 6505
•   Green – 5961
•   Red    – 5305

There is a wonderful balance to the various holes. From the Gold’s, and these were put in at the insistence of the owner for the course is a wonderful enough challenge from the whites and can be brutal from the blue’s, the fives and threes are:

568, 490, 583 & 569.  238, 171, 156 & 247.

The greens range from mid to massive in size and each appears to gently sweep over its site. They are gently flat to look at while in reality, unless your putt is less than two feet, and sometimes even then, there isn’t a single straight putt out there. From a couple of inches this or that way to places where, with the right pin positions, twenty feet and more breaks are reality. These are greens that can’t be short-sided or up & downs are an impossibility.

Mike definitely enjoys false fronts that are quite visible yet many times unnoticeable. The greenside bunkers aren’t; they are 4-6 feet away from the putting surface and on a number of holes, sit back twenty to thirty feet ala Augusta.

Speaking of the bunkers, there is no scheme so to speak, they appear where they should and no where else. Some are there to aim at while others are to punish; all should be avoided yet can be played out of with care. There is a feeling of Ireland links to many of the holes as so many of the fairways roll and undulate on to the green. One is going to be tempted to play a ground game into holes that seemingly invite this type of play and yet the greens entrances will prove this as a mistaken strategy, while other holes are best played in this fashion. Yet despite this dichotomy of hole natures, each one is a natural creation to its own environment. Contrived is never felt.

The back nine, especially holes 13 on in, have a potential to become monumentally grand, especially if & when the course can play host to tournaments, and it is definitely championship worthy in design and scope.

How can a 100 yard wide fairway seem to be only 25 from a tee? That is #16. How many players have ever walked off a par three and swear they just saw the closest thing to the 12th hole at Augusta as they will ever experience? That is #13. Can you picture a 10,000+ sq. ft. punchbowl green at the end of a 247 yard par-three? That is #17. A finishing hole that invites you to go for it in two at 569 yards uphill yet unless the approach is perfect the player will be left with a 30 to 70 yard pitch shot depending upon where the ball rolls out to off the green? The 18th.

Add in a huge lake recently stocked for thiose who enjoy the idea of closing out a summer's day of golf with a relaxing bit of fishing and heaven is a bit closer to earth.

And I must also mention Wilson. He must be experienced on his own and is a delight.

I’m telling all right now, starting next spring, though if you want to go out now and play the front nine do so, its well worth it, people will be talking about a very special golf course down in Madison, Georgia.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 10:25:55 AM by Philip Young »

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re:Mike Young's new course in Madison, Georgia...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 11:20:28 AM »
I had the pleasure of riding the course with Mike last spring. I cannot wait to see the finished product in April.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 11:31:21 AM »
The story goes that Madison was such a beautiful town that Sherman left it unscathed on his march to the sea.  Thanks for the heads up.  I look forward to seeing Mike's work there.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 11:32:07 AM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 11:34:27 AM »
Sounds very cool.  And I can't imagine anything more idyllic than the town Phil describes.  I know I enjoyed towns like this that I saw and drove through in my comings and goings at Dixie Cup I... they are really cool for an urban guy like me to see, that's for sure.

But please, can someone please tell me the NAME of the golf course?  Or is it really "Mike Young's New Course".  If so, that's a damn cool name and I think it should stick.

;D

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 11:55:53 AM »
Madison is such a terrific piece of small-town America that one of the pastors at my church here in metro Atlanta just took a pay cut to move his family there.  Just a beautiful place.

I think Sherman had a female cousin that lived in Madison, which was the reason he spared it; there were plenty of equally beautiful towns around BEFORE he came through...

Finally, the name of the course is Longshadow

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=26209
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 12:02:41 PM »
Well hush my mouth.  I read that thread, and it was less than a month ago.  God my short-term memory sucks.

Longshadow is a very cool name... but somehow I am disappointed they didn't go with Mike Young's New.

;D

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 12:16:19 PM »
Well hush my mouth.  I read that thread, and it was less than a month ago.  God my short-term memory sucks.

;D

Me, too, and the really bad part is that the curve is heading in the wrong direction!
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 06:13:45 PM »
Phil,
Glad you enjoyed the course.  Man it has had several names but settled on Long Shadow.
Wilson was reading the web and just brought it to my attention.
Mike
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 06:14:04 PM by Mike_Young »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Chris Cupit

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 06:40:42 PM »
Mike,

Is it true that Charlie's line of Fa'tass clothing will be available in the golf shop?  I'm gaining on him and may need that "extra cloth cut"!

Bogey and A.G.,

Madison is beautiful.  However, every city that wasn't torched has a nice story about why.  I think the batstard just finally ran out of matches!

wsmorrison

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 06:54:28 PM »
Congratulations, Mike.  The buzz has been excellent and I hope to come down and visit sometime next year.  In the meantime, I hope you'll be back up again, with or without Bob Crosby, Esq.  I proudly wear my Longshadow shirt (nice logo) but my wife won't let me wear the Fa'Tass hat to the club.  

Mike_Young

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 06:59:01 PM »
Chris,
Charlie has actually started to sell hats...sold 24 last week.

Wayne,
Wear the hat.
As a matter of fact..have you seen the commercial  "wear the fox hat"  say "wear the fox hat" five times....

wsmorrison

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 07:00:31 PM »
Dammit, I will, Mike!  I'll wear it this weekend.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 07:08:04 PM »
Mike,

Send me a hat--you'll take a third party, out-of-state check won't you!?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 07:11:59 PM »
Living, as I do, about ten miles from Auchtermuchty, I have assumed the position of Wear the Fox Hat ambassador to the Court of the Crimson King (or GolfClubAtlas at least).

http://www.bofunk.com/video/1615/wear_the_fox_hat.html

Where's my shotgun?
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 07:27:08 PM »
Apologies to fellow Hillbilly Mike Youngfor this threadjack, but if this quote resonates, you are indeed Southern by the Grace of God:

"It's a trick, General Sherman.  There's two of 'em up there!"

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

BCrosby

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 09:13:02 PM »
Glad to see some people are getting out to see Longshadow. It is great course with imaginative features that posters here will recognize and love. There's nothing like it down this way. Can't wait to get on the back nine. I urge everyone to visit.  Congrats Mike.

Mike - As your friend and counsel, I feel an obligation to inform people that F' tass is trademarked and is pronounced - imagine you just got cut off by a large redneckish person in a 1964 Dodge pick-up doing 90 miles an hour, you've spilled your coffee in your lap, your Egg McMuffin is on the floor, you roll down your window, lean out and yell - HEY, Fah TASS.

The correct inflection is important.

The Honorable Bob Crosby Esq.

Mike_Young

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 10:12:37 PM »
Chris,
I will have him send one.
Bogey..."shoot up amongst them...one of us has to have some releif"Marcel Ledbetter quote

Bob Crosby did indeed trademark Fa Tass for us.  He also did the "Piss on Chevy" stickers for a large automobile company and he was the model.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back