News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Chicago Aerial: Westward Ho (1923)
« on: November 07, 2006, 07:36:45 AM »
This club had several homes prior to this, their final course and location.  Course was very highly regarded prior to its demise and hosted a few top level tournaments.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 04:37:58 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

T_MacWood

Re:Chicago Aerial NLE
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 08:23:52 AM »
Thats an interesting looking course. Is that a stream along the right side? For some reason it appears the routing avoided it for the most part.

Those baseball-mit bunkers look like some other bunkers I've seen in old pictures...maybe at Beverly and Exmoor...I've always wondered who was responsible for them. Perhaps this course will answer that question.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 11:06:40 AM »
Dan:

This course has some really fascinating bunkering. Early funky Bendelow? Some of the fairway bunkers seem to have darker areas surrounding them than the fairway/rough nearby -- raised lips around them? Or maybe just the time of year the photo was taken...

The field with the dots in the upper right is interesting -- cemetery? Tree nursery? I'm presuming Shivas has a relative buried there/bought a tree there...

Dan Moore

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 06:49:20 PM »
Its tough competing with Borat, Hoylake and Strantz.  Horace Greeley and Herbert Fowler would have appreciated this course.  Alexander Graham Bell as well (explantion later).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 06:49:35 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Dan Moore

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 11:06:49 PM »
Shivas,

Its not Twin Orchard which I posted a few weeks ago.  Langford's original Twin Orchards course looked very cool.  

Here is the thread.  

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=25494&start=0

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 11:44:22 AM »
I'll go with something involving Western Springs.

All from the Horace Greeley clue.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Moore

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 01:41:56 PM »
The Fowler hint was more obvious.  Think as if Greeley had a son, Horace Jr., whose nickname was Ho.  Earlier version of this course was the breeding ground of an admired architect.  First version of course by HJ Tweedie.  Course migrated to its last location from a Wright place.  

Dan Moore

Re:Chicago Aerial: Westward Ho
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 04:23:45 PM »
Yes its Westward Ho. The course pictured was located in Northlake where it had moved from Oak Park in 1923.  The architects are not listed in Cornish and Whitten but I have them somewhere and will post later on.  William Langford called Westward Ho his home at the time he attended Yale and played on the NCAA Champion golf team.  That howver would have been an earlier version of the course that existed in the 1906-10 timeframe.  The course went NLE in 1957 to make way for an expaned Automatic Electric plant which manfactured telephones and telephone switching equipment and the Villa Scalabrini Home for the Aged.  

Here is the site of the pictured course today.  

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 04:28:23 PM by Dan Moore »

Tim_Cronin

Re:Chicago Aerial: Westward Ho (1923)
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 04:56:18 PM »
Had no clue, but I was going to take a wild guess at Westward Ho (or Ho! in the really early years) mainly because I'd never seen anything except a picture of its clubhouse. Clueless about its tournament history though, beyond, I think, a Chicago Open way back. Didn't know Salt Creek was so close. Also thought it was in Melrose Park, but the aerial provides the proof.
This was site No. 3 for Westward Ho, following sites in Oak Park (1898) and Galewood (1899-1923), which is now part of Oak Park.
I have Frank Adams and Stuart Gardner as the architects.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Dan Moore

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 06:25:57 PM »
What about that par 3 in the upper left hand corner surrounded by the Santa Claus beard.  The fairway bunkering looks pretty ferocious not to mention numerous.  

My Tom Bendelow book just arrived and it credits the course in Northlake to Tom.  Though Phil guessed early, funky Bendelow I'm not so sure though he may have done the middle version before it moved to North Lake.  I'm pretty sure I have a source that lists the architect(s) and I don't think it was Frank Adams and Stuart Gardner but I could be temporarily senile.  

T_MacWood

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 11:05:43 PM »
I believe Stewart Gardner was the pro at Exmoor...which might explain some of the similar bunkering.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back