News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Patrick -

Until I am pushing up daisies ;D. I love Vegas and I love sports so I can golf during the day and watch/wager on any game I want at night.

Now I would not do this in my current state since I have three small children and a lovely wife, but if I was single...I would love to be in Vegas every day.

As Doug Sanders stated, he wanted his money and his life to run out on the same day.

Unfortunately, if you lived in Las Vegas full time, that could be next year.

It takes a strong constitution, great survival instincts and a lot of luck to survive that environment intact, in good health and sound financial standing.

But, it might be fun trying

Patrick_Mucci

EUREKA!

Your inconsistency betrays you, Patrick.  When it suits your argument, you advocate Sagarin - which you did after week 3 when Sagarin had ND's schedule ranked #1.  Now that it doesn't suit you, "Sagarin is wrong also."

It's not that it no longer suits me, it's that it's evolved with tremendous flaws.  Like a boat crossing the ocean that starts its voyage uneventfully, once the ship starts to sink, it's time to recognize it and get off.

Do you honestly believe that USC's played a tougher schedule than PSU ?

A simple yes or no answer will do.

If you say yes, then you know less than nothing about college football.  If you say no, then you would agree with me in stating that the Sagarin ratings are flawed, which is what I've said all along.  Let Vegas do it, they're the pros.

I'd call you a hypocrite, but we're friends.

I understand.  But, you have to understand that like the Titanic and Ross Perot, Sagarin started out OK, but, has now floundered, sprung a leak and is sinking.

So OK, my bad for taking another thread and turning it into a college football battle...

Yes, I agree, you were the one who hijacked this thread.

But perhaps if you do stick with me, you'll learn some integrity.  Sad that an ancient mariner like you seems to have so little.

Integrity isn't learned.
You either have it or you don't.
I'm content with my possession of same.

You on the other hand have to learn to differentiate between valid and flawed premises and arguments.
If you want to cling to a sinking ship, that's your perogative, but, clearly, Sagarin has gone bad.

That you insist on continuing to blindly ride with them is your choice.  When I see something gone awry, I recognize that continuing to stay on board is pointless and that it's time to get off that ship.

While they may have been in the ball park in week 3,
They're clearly out of it this week.

One only has to look at their rankings to see how out of step they are.

But, if you insist that they got it right, and California is  # 2 in the Nation, and USC is # 6, then California, based on Sagarin's predictor numbrers, should be favored by 4.5 to 6 points.   Would you like to make that wager with me right now.

I'll take USC and 4.5, 5, 5.5 and 6 points for any amount you'd like to bet.

C'mon now Tom, time to step up to the plate and wager based on your belief and touting of Sagarin. ;D

Tom Huckaby

Sagarin's methods have remained consistent the entire season.  But given how much you change given what suits your argument, do I have to give you a definition of that word?

As for Penn State, what do I care?  Sagarin has them #5 right now, so as of right now, their SCHEDULE is one slot tougher than USC, which is certainly fine by me.  But what does this have to do with the price of tea in china?  I never said they didn't play a tough schedule - I just doubted they are a good team.  Again, playing tough teams and losing every game gives one a fine SOS - but says nothing about the quality of the team.  Do I have to explain that to you as well?

You really are clueless about this stuff.  I just had no idea the depths of your lack of knowledge until now.

You have touted ND's schedule all year as being tougher than USC's.  A computer-based system - and every human being not wearing Irish-colored glasses - would have one believe otherwise.  But no..... now the computer system is flawed... now that it hurts your argument....

This is hilarious!  As are you.

Sagarin has "gone bad."  Now I've heard everything.  A scientific, computer-based system with absolutely no human judgment at all can somehow "go bad."

Yeah, we do have to end this.  You are really going off the deep end.  Early-onset Alzheimers' setting in?  I know some very good doctors - just say the word and I'll make a referral.

And again, remember my friend, it was not I who touted Sagarin - it was you.  So bet with yourself.  Doing things alone seems to be another one of your fortes.

I see that you failed to answer my challenge, however.  No surprise.  So you tell me - ND and USC plays today - who's favored in the Vegas line.?

TH

« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 06:56:28 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Patrick_Mucci

Tom Huckaby,

I'd be amazed if USC isn't favored at Home.

My guess, 4.5 points, unless something happens twixt the cup and the lip.

But, it's the outcome that will produce the final result.

Didn't Air Force lose to mighty Tennessee by 1 point, when AF chose to go for two on the extra point, and failed.

As to Navy, they were doing fine until they lost their quarterback in the first quarter against Rutgers.

Army is having a bad year.

Next year, ND plays one service team while USC adds Idaho.
And then San Jose State the following year.

Kyle Henderson

Of the courses I've played, Tobacco Road is my clear choice. Playable year round save for the very occasional freeze, lots of ways to play each hole (different hole locations, wide fairways, variant wind conditions, lots of risk/reward tee and approach shots, etc. etc.) I don't think I'd every get tired of playing there, although it would get lonesome after a time.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Patrick_Mucci

Sagarin's methods have remained consistent the entire season.  But given how much you change given what suits your argument, do I have to give you a definition of that word?

I can't speak to their methods, but, I can speak to their results.  They're out of step with virtually every poll in the country, let alone my opinion.

As for Penn State, what do I care?  

I knew you wouldn't get it.

Sagarin has them #5 right now, so as of right now, their SCHEDULE is one slot tougher than USC, which is certainly fine by me.  But what does this have to do with the price of tea in china?  I never said they didn't play a tough schedule - I just doubted they are a good team.  Again, playing tough teams and losing every game gives one a fine SOS - but says nothing about the quality of the team.  Do I have to explain that to you as well?

What do you think USC's record would be if they had played the same 4 teams ?  Before you answer, think, is there a difference in the quality of USC"s team ?  Is it the same team ?  Or, is the won-loss record different due to more difficult competition ?

You really are clueless about this stuff.  I just had no idea the depths of your lack of knowledge until now.

That's because you don't understand the higher levels, the esoteric side of college football.

You have touted ND's schedule all year as being tougher than USC's.  

At the TIME I touted it, it was.
Even you admited that.

A computer-based system - and every human being not wearing Irish-colored glasses - would have one believe otherwise.  

No, I think everyone agreed that ND had a much tougher schedule earlier in the year, except YOU.

But no..... now the computer system is flawed... now that it hurts your argument....

No, it's not flawed because it hurts my argument, it's flawed on the demerits of its findings.  PSU was a good example, and OSU versus UCLA is another good example.

UCLA isn't even ranked, yet, they're favored over OSU, who Sagarin has ranked 20th.  Doesn't that strike you as strange.

IF not, bet all you can get together on OSU to beat UCLA outright.  And, do it now, BEFORE the kickoff.

Sagarin has "gone bad."  Now I've heard everything.  A scientific, computer-based system with absolutely no human judgment at all can somehow "go bad."

Obviously, you've never heard of "programing" a totally human function, based on "judgement".  Oh well, you can't know everything.

Yeah, we do have to end this.  You are really going off the deep end.  Early-onset Alzheimers' setting in?  I know some very good doctors - just say the word and I'll make a referral.

And again, remember my friend, it was not I who touted Sagarin - it was you.  

Not true.
You were the one who inserted Sagarin into the ratings issue some time ago.

At that time, ND"s SOS was more difficult than USC's.

So bet with yourself.  

That's a cop out.
You're afraid to back your position.
I don't care who you bet with, but, if you were so confident in your position, you wouldn't dodge the bet.

Doing things alone seems to be another one of your fortes.

I can produce a number of well qualified people who will testify otherwise.

I see that you failed to answer my challenge, however.  No surprise.  So you tell me - ND and USC plays today - who's favored in the Vegas line.?

Obviously you missed it.
I've already stated USC by 4.5.
But, the proof will be in the tasting.

Steve_Lovett

To correct you all - further off topic...

I believe Oregon State beat WASHINGTON - not Washington State...  The Cougars beat the Beavers 13-6 earlier this year...

James Bennett

Sean

you may have described Barwon Heads, not far from Melbourne.

I think you'd describe it as a 'cracker'.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tim Bert

If I had to base this on an actual solo round I've played, then my answer would be Legends here in Nashville.  I played a month or so ago for the happy hour rate at 5:00, planning to get stuck behind a few groups and getting in nine holes before dark.  Instead, I hit the jackpot of all open courses, and played 18 in 1:45.

It was in a cart (they don't let anyone but members hike it) but aside from that the conditions were ideal.  I was't rushing; I was just playing at a comfortable solo pace.

Okay, back to reality, since I can't replicate those conditions frequently.  If location was not an issue, I'd take Pacific Dunes thus far.  Pinehurst #2 might be a good alternative since I wouldn't have anyone with me to help look for lost balls.  Ultimately, I'm reserving judgment in this topic until I experience TOC and the Reverse Jans.

Jim Nugent

Sight unseen, I might choose Royal Melbourne composite.  When I feel like a little change, a few mis-hit shots here and there and I'm playing the West or the East.  Three world-class courses for the price of one, or so I hear.

ChipRoyce

Pac Dunes

Tom Huckaby

Patrick:

Time to end this, as you have reached the level of absurdity.

Watch out for the big bad computers, out to get Notre Dame!  They're scary things - so shy away in fear.  They're never going to tell you what you want... so for your own sanity, best to just make things up that do.  You'll be far happier that way.

;D ;D ;D

More laughter your way.  

Just don't go hiding on November 25 or thereabouts.  I know I won't, no matter what happens that day.

;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 10:56:54 AM by Tom Huckaby »

JESII

Royal County Down GC.

I got to play there in the '99 Amateur Champ. and since part of the criteria is that you are playing alone, I have to say that there is no lonlier feeling than standing on the back tee with a left to right wind in your face on hole #9--so I figure I've got that solitary feeling kind of down.

The weather ranged from 70 and sunny to 45, windy and rainy and I still had a blast.  

Lastly, even if I had to play alone, I know that once I came inside to the bar, there would be few better places to have a Guinness, talk golf and look out over the golf course (10th hole).

The only caveat is that I heard they re-designed the 16th hole--the short driveable par 4 that was one of the few "breathers" on the back.  I hope they didn't mess with the hole too much in an attempt to "fix" what some saw as a "weak" hole.  

That will mean you are the one other person I have come across that has played Kilkeel GC.

I played that week as well and am still absolutely in love with RCD.

From what I have seen they changed #16 completely. The tee, fairway and green are all either in different places or re-oriented. Saddened me too.

mike_malone

I think I would choose a classic parkland course over a links course. I say this because a very good classic course has interesting terrain and green complexes that are enhanced by the seasonality of golf. As the seasons change the playability changes . The need for wind on links courses makes it a hit or miss whether you get a great playing course.

Mind you I love links golf but the "playing alone" requirement of this thread gets me to favor golf with more features.
AKA Mayday

JESII

Keep shoveling Mayday, the hole's not deep enough yet for you to fit....

mike_malone

JES II

If I had to play alone I would need more variety in the playability and the look of the course to ward off boredom.  But I could play Ballybunnion alone every day and be okay.
AKA Mayday

JESII

It's getting there, you'll be able to fit nicely after two or three more posts like those last two.

mike_malone

Let's see if I can get enough  stuff out of the hole!

I find the fall to be particularly alluring on a parkland course with appealing elevation changes. The angle of the sun creates wonderful images on the sloping land. This adds to the enjoyment beyond the play.
AKA Mayday

JESII

No no no, I want to hear more about how links courses need the wind to keep boredom at bay. I wan tto hear about the dull, featurelss green complexes in GB & I. That drives the shovel.

Pete Garvey

Pinehurst #2 never gets old......Plus, the fishing is great in and around Southern Pines!

Go Irish!

George Pazin

From the photos and words posted on here, I'd lean toward St. Enodoc.

I'd pick Barnbougle, but those snake and spider stories have me spooked.

;D
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Michael J. Moss

If I had to choose one course, wind would have to be an ingredient to keep the interest level up. The course would therefore have to be a links style one for me.

I’ll take, on an either or basis, Sand Hills or Pac Dunes and in my delirium, I'm am certain I’d find G_d as a playing partner! I hear he's playing to two these days!

Chris Cupit

JES II

I can't imagine why Kilkeel wasn't on anyone's list!

RCD was awesome--I had my brother in law who is from Dublin introduce me to Guiness that week so even after I lost things didn't seem too bad.  I think I gained about 11 pounds in one night though, and I didn't have a damn thing to eat--unless you count chewing the guinness.

Cheers

Ash Towe

Royal Melbourne West.  The course would always be a fascination for me particularly the greens.  The climate means year round play, though some days in summer are a bit hot.  It is always beautifully maintained.
Melbourne is a great city and you would never be short of entertainment, particularly the sporting variety.

Kevin Pallier

Put me down for the composite course at Royal Melbourne = year round play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back