News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Re:One last round... alone
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2006, 08:19:54 PM »
Although I have yet to play there, I would have to choose the place where this crazy obession was born. The place where all the great architects tried to emulate the endless shots the hallowed grounds produced. To walk in the footsteps of Robertson to Tiger and know it all began here.

TOC
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 08:34:18 PM by David Stamm »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2006, 08:32:41 PM »
If you had to play one last round, the last in your life, all by yourself... where would it be.

North Berwick (West) for mine.

Philippe said “all by yourself”, so I’m going to take that to mean I have the entire course to my self.

On my day where I have North Berwick (West) all to myself, I would:
-   Hit many shots off the 2nd tee to see how much I can cut off.
-   Try to get up & down out of all the bunkers around the 4th.
-   Stay on the 9th tee until I hit the perfect drive left of the bunkers in the middle of the fairway.
-   Play a bunch of shot over the wall on the 13th.
-   Keep hitting shots until I get one to rest close to the back pin position on the 15th.
-   Spend a few hours playing to & putting on the 16th.
-   Drive the 18th, no matter how long it took.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2006, 09:00:23 PM »
Philippe,

I like a question that I have so much trouble answering.

My first instinct was a famous course full of great memories, but after a day I realized the perfect way to close the cycle properly is return to where I began.

So my choice is a course of very little architectural virtue but long on important first impressions about the game. The home of my first lesson, the first round with my father, my first par and birdie. It is where a young pro encouraged us to practice and love the game. It's where I won and lost my first match. Where I found the joy of the game that never left me. Somewhere worth a 5 mile ride each day just to play.

The course is Seaton Golf Course where I player my first round with used club, and probably the most appropriate place to close the circle properly. I'm now taking my son there this spring.

Philippe, thank-you for bringing back a very enjoyable set of memories.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2006, 09:41:20 PM »
Philippe
I like your hypothesis, because I played with my Mum, a runner-up at MGA finals, when she had macula - and couldn't see the ball, but she wanted to be out there.
In a sense she was alone, but she was still competitive on every attempt.
Thanks for the thought !
Willie

Jack_Marr

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2006, 09:55:25 PM »
Lahinch
John Marr(inan)

Joe Hancock

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2006, 10:00:26 PM »
Two answers, if I may:

I hope to not play my last round alone. Golf, to me, is about people.

and,

The coourse I want to play lastly, hasn't been built yet! ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2006, 05:33:26 AM »
If you had to play one last round, the last in your life, all by yourself... where would it be.

North Berwick (West) for mine.

Philippe said “all by yourself”, so I’m going to take that to mean I have the entire course to my self.

On my day where I have North Berwick (West) all to myself, I would:
-   Hit many shots off the 2nd tee to see how much I can cut off.
-   Try to get up & down out of all the bunkers around the 4th.
-   Stay on the 9th tee until I hit the perfect drive left of the bunkers in the middle of the fairway.
-   Play a bunch of shot over the wall on the 13th.
-   Keep hitting shots until I get one to rest close to the back pin position on the 15th.
-   Spend a few hours playing to & putting on the 16th.
-   Drive the 18th, no matter how long it took.

You could also play the 17th by driving down the second for a much better line in.  The local caddies in my group said that was the line all the pro's favour when it's an Open qualifier, but for obvious reasons the club doesn't encorage it.

They also said that on the 18th in competiton the percentage line is wide left with a long iron.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 06:04:35 AM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2006, 06:19:03 AM »
To know it was your last game...what a morbid thought!  It brings out the pretentious in me and as I suppose this is meant to be a fantasy well....

Roses Point, the sun is going down and the skies are all aflame.  As I birdie 16, (pin top right) I'm drawn down to the beach by the music softly wafting up.

Jessie Norman with Rattle and the Bayreuth orchestra  performing the Liebestod (just for me you understand) and as the music fades away WB Yeats hands me my windsurfer and I sail off to find Isolde knowing full well this is a doomed mission….

Now back to regular service.
Let's make GCA grate again!

JohnV

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2006, 08:15:33 AM »
The Old Course.  I'd want to finish where it all started.  Walking up #18 as your last hole ever couldn't get any better unless some nice member invited you into the R&A clubhouse for a drink afterwards.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2006, 09:25:57 PM »
Phillipe

I'd prefer if my last round was not alone but if access wasn't an issue I'd say Pine Valley but realistically I'd say The Old Course at sunrise.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back