News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

More tour d'Strantz, Caledonia
« on: November 08, 2006, 09:31:05 PM »
How about Caledonia Golf and Fish?

hole 6:

Was Strantz channelling the Captain here?
hole 13

3iron or something to go about 200 off tee, then hang a sharp left past the tree with the moss on it.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

Re:More tour d'Strantz, Caledonia
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 09:32:41 PM »
I didn't try catching him!
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 01:05:56 AM »
13 is a great example of a sharp dogleg working well.  Do the rest of you like it?

There were others on the tour too that were sharp D-Ls...several holes at Cali and TB are shrp and 2 and 13 at BB are horseshoes.  What is it about THESE sharp dog-legs that makes them work?

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 06:17:38 AM »
I think Strantz was able to make sharp doglegs work because he provided large, receptive landing areas at the corner.  A big part of his genius was in making those landing areas appear smaller or more difficult to hit than they really are; it is elating to find that your shot ended up safely in the fairway!
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 06:57:15 AM »
I think Strantz was able to make sharp doglegs work because he provided large, receptive landing areas at the corner.  A big part of his genius was in making those landing areas appear smaller or more difficult to hit than they really are; it is elating to find that your shot ended up safely in the fairway!
I also think that, at least with 13 at Caledonia, Strantz still gave people some opportunity to take a chance ln putting the ball further down the fairway by blasting a drive over the right side of the tree.  A shorter approach is definitely useful to a green almost totally surrounded by sand.

The walk across that rickety bridge to the back tee on 14 and the resulting tee shot is, IMHO, the very best of all the pretty sights and pretty interesting shots to be found at Caledonia.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back