News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

How ever will I survive?
« on: November 03, 2006, 09:43:05 AM »
http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/tenday/USFL0524?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_golf  ;D

On a blustery 45 degree day here in Philadelphia... no wonder I am looking forward to moving on Sunday.

This golf, winter, warm thing will be new.

3 more days  ;D

mike_malone

Re:How ever will I survive?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 09:45:39 AM »
 45 and blustery is much better golf weather than 83 and probably humid. Change your mind before it is too late!
AKA Mayday

Dan Kelly

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 09:46:59 AM »
18 degrees F. at my house this a.m.

Water hazards getting firmer, faster.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 09:48:09 AM »
I thought you were going to ask how you will survive working for a place with members on this site checking out when you are at work.  Unless your new job title includes internet hype czar you need an alias.  We will miss your posts, at least during working hours.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 09:51:05 AM »
18 degrees F. at my house this a.m.

Water hazards getting firmer, faster.

I'm going to Mayo on Nov 7th and it will be 60 deg...Thinking about playing that little muni on the corner of the two main roads in town.

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 09:57:02 AM »
45 degrees and you don't go out and play?  What a wimp!  This next generation of ours is a bunch of softies.  Go read Ernest Shackelton and get out their and play.  I stop when there's snow on the ground...not before.  

By the way, I just got a Windstopper from ZR and it keeps you toasty warm.  It isn't cheap but it means playing in comfort.  If only Ernie and the boys had some of that modern technology on their Antarctic expedition on Endurance (aptly named) instead of their woolies.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 10:01:11 AM »
Kyle, Run run fast to beat this front south. Maybe your Penn State team will play in florida this winter. It is a perfect day for golf here.

JR Potts

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 10:01:48 AM »
http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/tenday/USFL0524?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_golf  ;D

On a blustery 45 degree day here in Philadelphia... no wonder I am looking forward to moving on Sunday.

3 more days  ;D

Please make sure you check in during the summer....and during hurricane season.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 10:05:28 AM »

3 more days  ;D

Please make sure you check in during the summer....and during hurricane season.

Classic.... but it brings up a ? in my mind. What is the perfect or best city to play golf in year round? Is it just San Diego end of conversation or is there something else?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 10:48:29 AM »
I thought you were going to ask how you will survive working for a place with members on this site checking out when you are at work.  Unless your new job title includes internet hype czar you need an alias.  We will miss your posts, at least during working hours.

Nothing new to me John, amd I'll be around.

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 11:06:02 AM »
<<I'm going to Mayo on Nov 7th and it will be 60 deg...Thinking about playing that little muni on the corner of the two main roads in town.>>

Soldiers Field! Have a good time golfing.

Have you ever looked around or played at Rochester CC? It's a nice Tillinghast design, but also -- unfortunately -- a good argument for why evergreens never should be planted on a golf course.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 11:12:38 AM »
<<I'm going to Mayo on Nov 7th and it will be 60 deg...Thinking about playing that little muni on the corner of the two main roads in town.>>

Soldiers Field! Have a good time golfing.

Have you ever looked around or played at Rochester CC? It's a nice Tillinghast design, but also -- unfortunately -- a good argument for why evergreens never should be planted on a golf course.

No one from Rochester ever asks me to play golf...they just request more fluids.  I have a blood test at 6:30 am and a consultation at 3:00 pm if anyone wants to play in between.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 02:17:07 PM »
If I were you, I'd be more excited about seeing Pinehurst for the first time on Sunday, Florida is great and all, but Pinehurst is one of the best places on earth.  
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

tonyt

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 04:58:52 PM »
What is the perfect or best city to play golf in year round?

Melbourne.

wsmorrison

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 06:26:47 PM »
Glen,

If you're not a wuss like Kyle Harris, Philadelphia isn't a bad choice--OK you aren't guaranteed playing every day of the year...but the depth and breadth of the courses, though mostly private, make up for that.  Also, there's a lot more space between the branches after the leaves come down.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006, 08:24:31 PM »
Glen,

If you're not a wuss like Kyle Harris, Philadelphia isn't a bad choice--OK you aren't guaranteed playing every day of the year...but the depth and breadth of the courses, though mostly private, make up for that.  Also, there's a lot more space between the branches after the leaves come down.

Wayne,

Morgan Hill, early February, 2 club wind, frost.

'nuff said.

;)

JLahrman

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006, 09:35:25 PM »

Melbourne.

Maybe the city has the best courses Tony, but from a weather perspective?  The last time I was there the thermometer hit 44 Celsius...it's going to be about 5 when I tee off tomorrow morning, I'll take that over 44 any day.

James Bennett

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2006, 07:16:40 PM »

Melbourne.

Maybe the city has the best courses Tony, but from a weather perspective?  The last time I was there the thermometer hit 44 Celsius...it's going to be about 5 when I tee off tomorrow morning, I'll take that over 44 any day.

JAL

you were an unlucky man.  Melbourne averages 1 day a year above 40 degrees (and one day a year where the minimum falls below freezing, ie zero).

Melbourne's annual weather by month is summarised at the link below.  Despite the rivalry between Adelaide and Melbourne, I have to agree with Tony Titheridge about Melbourne's year-round climate for golf.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_086071.shtml

James B
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 07:18:17 PM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006, 09:43:38 PM »
I've played golf with Kyle a few times this year in weather where very few souls would venture outside.  In fact, our first time meeting was at Jeffersonville on a brutally cold, windy day last winter.

This past week, we planned to drive out to Tallgrass on Sunday, and on Saturday they were calling for 50 degrees and winds up to 50 mph.   I called Kyle that evening to be sure he still wanted to make the 4 hour drive each way in that kind of weather.   He seemed surprised I was even asking.

Godspeed Kyle...and watch the heat stroke in that abominably hot, muggy, and buggy burg.   ;D

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 10:59:38 PM »
Or, you can make the obvious move and head West.  We have some decent courses out here in the Bay Area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back