News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

French Lick 16th...a classic Bandon Dunes 5th.
« on: November 09, 2006, 01:10:05 PM »
I've gotta love the 16th at French Lick.  It now ranks as the finest non-water short par three I have ever played right ahead of the 5th at Bandon Trails.  The recaptured green now sits in a somewhat cloverleaf configuration with as severe quadrants as can be imagined.  I'm sorry if you feel the slopes are too steep for modern green speeds because by the time you play the 15 holes that proceed it your mind will be blown anyway.  We played the uppity tips at about 112yds to a front pin where I had the pleasure of playing out of the front bunker the first round and from behind the green the second...a must for you recovery guru's.  I think the tippity tips were around 140 or so to the middle even though the card says longer.  It is a welcome relief after going 5 wood, 3 wood, driver on the previous three short holes.  I have zero basis on which to form an opinion on bunker shape but this hole appears to have been truly restored and not renovated in the least.

Mike Hendren

Re:French Lick 16th...a classic Bandon Dunes 5th.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 01:20:38 PM »
John,

Good call.  Gotta love how Ross places his greens on the upslope of a hill and exagerates the cant by slightly building up the back of the green.  The 17th at Beverly, 12th at Holston Hills and 3rd at Memphis CC come to mind quickly.

I thought I detected a small thumb-print front and center of the 16th, but perhaps it was merely for drainage.  The bunkering and green was somewhat Raynoresque, if I recall correctly.  

A photo from Ran's profile for everyone's reference:

I believe the photo might depict some in-house work done prior to the recent restoration/renovation.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Doug Ralston

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 01:23:44 PM »
John;

How much are they asking for GF now? We definitely want this on out 'daytrip' list. Thanks for the info. Can to give us more on your experience?

Doug

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 01:41:41 PM »
Mike,

The photo does very little for how the hole looks now.  When I played it pre-restoration I thought it was the worst hole on the course...now it is very close to best and at least best par three.

Doug,

You want to catch them now during winter rate season....The prices are going way up when the season starts next year.  Now that I have played it post restoration I think they will get the play they desire.  The new Dye course that will open in 2008 will be in very close running to be the best course south of Indianapolis and north of Chattanooga...I can't imagine how expensive it may be to play however so people like us may just have to rely on a tour during construction to get our jollies.  Get there as soon as you can as the savings in bucks will make up for the cold temps and aerified greens.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 05:20:21 PM »
John;
Its funny the difference of perceptions of the 5th at Bandon Trails.

I know I need to play the hole again to get a better sense, but in my first (and only) round there, I really found 5 at BT to be seriously unfair. I hit it pin high left to a center right pin (middle of the valley) and found the green contours to be so whacky / weird that was virtually unputtable. (My putt oscilated left / right in the trough).

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 05:25:52 PM »
I find the 5th at Trails to be one of the best if not the best new short  par 3's I have played.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »
I find the 5th at Trails to be one of the best if not the best new short  par 3's I have played.

That is how good the 16th at French Lick is now with the recaptured green.  It is actually more severe with fewer pin placements than the 5th at Bandon Trails.  I have said before that I think the 5th at Bandon Trails is the best par 3 at the resort...The greens at French Lick are incredibly unfair...I love it that way.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 05:59:05 PM »
Thanks John;

We will try to get there this Fall/Winter. Are they open throughout?

Doug

ChipRoyce

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 01:18:48 AM »

Tiger / John;
Can you expand on this? Am interested to hear your thoughts on the hole's strengths...
Thanks!
Chip

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back