News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

Aiming Bunkers
« on: November 03, 2006, 05:05:24 PM »
I played The Course at Wente Vineyards, a few years ago now.

I think it was on the ninth hole, they had what was called a Norman trademark, an aiming bunker (maybe different terminology).

At the time, I thought it was a waste, extra maintenance, just as easy to pick a mound or tree in the distance to aim at.

I've only played one other Norman course, Doonbeg, there was no mention of one there.

Does anyone think these are a good idea? Has anyone come across them on other Norman courses?

I've come across them on other courses, still think they're a waste.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Aaron Katz

Re:Aiming Bunkers
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 05:17:01 PM »
They are a waste, but as a player it's nice to have a target.  I don't mind them, but would concede that they make the hole an easier tee shot visually.

Gary Daughters

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 05:24:47 PM »

That whole idea has mystified me since I first heard it.

How is one supposed to know?  Is it written on the scorecard?
What if it's a diabolical trick?
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 05:28:31 PM »
The only reason I knew that this one was an aiming bunker because it was mentioned in some course literature.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 05:47:03 PM »

That whole idea has mystified me since I first heard it.

How is one supposed to know?  Is it written on the scorecard?
What if it's a diabolical trick?

Gary,

Mayyyybeee....... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 07:31:07 PM »
I've seen both good and poor uses of aiming bunkers. The distinction maybe as small as having dual utility.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 07:54:45 PM »
I've seen both good and poor uses of aiming bunkers. The distinction maybe as small as having dual utility.

Adam,

You see dual utility as a small distinction? What would a major distinction be?

What are the characteristics of the good uses you've seen? The same question applies for poor uses please.

Joe

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 07:55:03 PM by Joe Hancock »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 10:10:21 PM »
Seems to me that if a hole lacks definition and the archtect feels definition is needed, an aiming bunker may help solve the problem.

Or, there may be a diabolical reason for its existence. Who here has ever played away from a bunker which turned out to be unreachable, only to find himself in a precarious spot; or aimed toward a bunker thought to be unreachable, and wound up in it?

At Springfied CC in Ohio (a really good yet fairly unknown Ross) there is a bunker on a hillside which appears to hide the right hand portion of the green. Woe to the golfer who uses it as a target to hit over to get the ball to kick left onto the surface- trouble awaits!

Unfortunately, over planting of trees has seriously impeded the golfer's view of this bunker rendering this little strategic trick mostly ineffective...

One more observation- an aiming bunker could do double duty by preventing a ball from heading into oblivion on heavily wooded, desert, or cliffside courses.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 11:25:57 PM »
Joe, One poor use I have seen was used on the far outside corner of a severe dogleg par 5. It was so far away I doubt that someone could hit it that far. It's sole purpose was for aiming/framing.

A duel use is found on the first at Ballyneal.

Just in case that pic doesn't do it justice, here's another one. The bunker tip seen far right is the aiming bunker. If a player fails to hug the desirable left side and finds the right side, this aiming bunker becomes a formidable visual feature directly in the players line of sight on approach.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 11:26:55 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Pat Ruddy

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 06:37:18 AM »
Guiding bunkers and MISGUIDING bunkers have been part of the game since time immemorial.
Both are vital elements.
As one gets older one learns another lesson, to wit, the guide bunker can be in the way of a cracking second or third shot!
As with everything, sparing use is the key to the efficacy of the guide bunker.
I think ....

T_MacWood

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 06:45:23 AM »
I like those bunkers at Ballyneal. I think these bunkers are particular good on blind or semi-blind drives to guide or misguide as Pat says. There is bunker at 7th at Lost Dunes that I love to hit my drive over...unfortunately its 30 yards right of the intended line - I'm a very slow learner.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back