News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Saturday's quotes 2
« on: November 04, 2006, 06:12:00 AM »
The entrance to the green, that is to say the portion of the fairway free from hazards on which the approach shot should pitch, shouldbe an object of considerable care in construction.  Thirty years ago this point was almost invariably ignored, and even at the present time it has not always received the attention which it deserves.

Do you know who wrote these words?

Tom_Doak

Re:Saturday's quotes 2
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 08:25:58 AM »
Tillinghast?

Others also spoke of the entrance to the green, but Tillinghast was more vocal about it than the others I've noticed.

Gary Daughters

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 08:38:11 AM »

Sounds familiar.

AMac
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 09:17:35 AM »
Bobby Jones

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 09:30:29 AM »
Tillinghast, I just read or saw something JUST like that the other night in Gleanings from the Wayside.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 06:22:23 PM »
Kyle, That's the trouble - they all say the same thing.  This is neither Tillinghast nor Jones, but it is a they.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 06:48:22 AM »
Wethered and Simpson.

If not them, then Colt and Alison.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 05:46:32 PM »
Kyle,

Is this what you were refering to?

“Surely I feel that I have never attempted a more important contribution to golf course construction than this: the immaculate preparation of approaches to greens. In recent years I have devoted almost the same attention to contouring these as to the putting greens themselves… I insist that they should be contoured intelligently, with the true shot to the green in mind, and prepared and maintained as semi-green."

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 05:57:26 PM »
If the approach shot should pitch onto the entrance of the green (and roll to the flag, I assume), then this sounds like very traditional Golf. Many pin positions are not reachable that way. Around 1900.

On the other hand "30 years ago" sounds more recent. MacKenzie and Colt surely wouldn't be accused of neglecting green entrances, so 1920s.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 05:58:33 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 10:59:11 AM »
This was Colt and Alison, 'Golf Course Architecture.'

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back