News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Re:Ruddy Counter Attacks
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2006, 01:05:19 PM »
Pat - Aidan's pictures - thanks for posting Aidan! - sure are beautiful

I'm planning on tarking our family vacation to Ireland in 2008....I will certainly be trying to make sure I get to your course
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

JohnV

« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2006, 01:10:16 PM »
Pat, I was fortunate to get to play the European Club in 1997 and loved it.  But what did I know, the "experts" on this site hadn't educated me yet. ;)

Does the scorecard still have the little box at the bottom labeled "What I should have shot"?

I got the best laugh out of that. ;D

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2006, 01:14:18 PM »
I have to say that this has turned into a remarkably constructive and informative thread. I am planning my first trip to Ireland (hopefully next summer), and I had planned on sticking to the northwest. Mr. Ruddy's passion for his course has me convinced that it is a must play. Even if I don't like it (which is highly doubtful—I am very much a slut when it comes to golf and like almost every course I see), I have the utmost respect for Mr. Ruddy coming on this site and defending his work.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2006, 01:43:38 PM »
Pat,

Great reply and just what I was expecting!!

Look forward to meeting you one day.  It would be I that would be leaving the table to wash the dishes, not you..

Best regards,

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

mike_malone

« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2006, 01:44:02 PM »
 Pat,

Thanks for your reply. I was interested in the changes since I was there and interested in getting this thread back to a discussion of gca.
AKA Mayday

Bill_McBride

« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2006, 01:51:13 PM »
It's too bad that John "Tiger" Bernhardt won't be back on this threat to discuss his dissatisfaction with Pat Ruddy's course, but perhaps he played there when the current burn on #18 was a pond in the middle of the fairway!

Not having played TEC myself I can't comment, but I'm sure there was a reason given John's general love of the game of golf and the courses it is played over.

Thanks, Pat, for taking time to tell us about the links and how it has evolved and how maintenance and irrigation has also evolved over time.  It's a story sort of like Mr. MacDonald's tinkering with NGLA throughout his lifetime.

Alfie

« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2006, 05:26:42 PM »
Thanks your reply Pat. Harry and I often wondered why some of our group bothered playing golf at all ? A right boozy lot but all good guys. I've since joined the Temperence movement  :)

I believe Pat's comments to Mayday fully deserve a little repitition ;

"Our members are gracious and happy.  Our guests are substantially ditto.
We do everything possible to satisfy our reason for being ... (a) Happy golf for oneself and family; (b) happy golf for members; (c) happy golf for our guests with whom we are happy to share our good fortune providing they do not assume a licence to abuse us; and, as things have evolved (d) to continue to pursue improvements of design and presentation  to see how far we can go towards excellence.

You'll do for me, Mr Ruddy. Good luck and continued success with all your projects.

Alfie.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2006, 01:43:57 AM »
(c) The much criticised pond on fairway 18 is gone.    ...
 .... our pond has trasformed into a meandering burn retaining the hazard factor (indeed, enhancing it) while making previous critics happy ... it isn't the water that bothered them as much as the shape of it!

Mr. Ruddy -

Thanks for the extensive background on how your 'home' course has evolved over the past few years.

Does anyone here (Aidan?) have before and after photos of 18 so that those of us who haven't played the course (yet!) can see how the hole has changed?

Thanks,

Jason (who'd be happy to play the course even if the pond were still there, though the burn idea sounds just fine)

Pat Ruddy

« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2006, 06:43:02 AM »
Gentlemen
Thank you for your consideration over the last few days.
I see that Mr Bernhardt has now opened a new thread relating to The European Club and says there what he found himself unable to say on this thread ...... he paid his visit (presumably his only visit) to The European Club in 1999 .
This means that he knows little about the links, one round doesn't qualify even an expert to assess a complex work of art, and I know nothing of his expertise or otherwise as a judge of golf design.
It means that he knows even less (much,much less) about our links as it is today and failed to keep informed that we follow the Holy Grail of excellence as avidly as anyone on the planet with constant improvements and movements to keep pace with the evolution of golf.  
If he wishes to promote some places and causes, for whatever reasons of his own, he is free to do so but I would suggest that this should not include character and reputation assassination of innocent others.
After all, it is no good trying to reach a pinnacle by climbing over foothills.... you can only be best if you acknowledge that the competition is good and that it was worth doing it if you match it.
I hope his stalking of me has ended and that he is pleased as a lawyer that I have not considered his application of the word "CON" to me or my work in the context of defamation and libel.
I see that there have been what seems to be a record 5,500 visits to this thread, a record exceeding that held by a Donald Ross debate sometime ago, and this is astounding.  I think I should quit before I am accused of hype!
Warmest regards to all including Mr Bernhardt who will be most welcome at The European Club should he ever wish to return.  Just let me know if you are coming and I will make the tea and have someone bake a nice cake.
Sincerely In Golf
PAT  RUDDY

P.S. I love golfing in Scotland and in the U.S.A.  My only problem with the U.S.A. is that you are building too many wonderful new courses and my time is running out and I am frustrated that I can never see more than a fraction of the new wonders of our world.  We have a pretty darn great place in Ireland, too, and play golf everyday of the year with no snow on our eastern links (well, maybe for two mornings since we opened in 1992...but we golfed in the afternoon) and never boiling in Summer.   Every Irish golf course welcomes visitors with no need to adopt friends to get in for a game.  We have improved everything from our golf courses to our roads (the motorway from Belfast to Rosslare by-passing Dublin  is almost complete and gets within 5-miles of our gate now....so much for those who have been advising others that The European Club is remote) and just take all but a few States and see how we compete with this list..... Ballybunion, Royal Portrush,Royal Co.Down, Portmarnock, Lahinch,The European Club, County Sligo, County Louth, Waterville, Doonbeg, Tralee, Rosapenna, Portsalon, Royal Dublin, Ballyliffin, Portstewart, Castlerock, The Island, Connemara, Carne .....just some of our true linksland tests ....the unique Old Head and inland at places like Mount Juliet, Killarney, Druids Glen, The K-Club, Carton and Adare.  We should be grateful we live a priviliged life and be a little kinder to each other while, by all means, enjoying the intellectual challenge of discerning better from good, and best from better. There is no such place as a bad golf place and if you think otherwise ....leave me alone.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2006, 08:46:57 AM »
Pat (if I can call you that)

I played the European Club in an absolute gale. Bunker shots traveling 60 yrds and blowing all the way back into the bunker. The window of the buggy blew in! Foam from the sea was drifting across the 12th. Despite this, I still had a wonderful time. When the cold rain started hitting me in the face like bullets around the 17th, I had already played 18 holes, which is pretty unique for a golf course. At the time, my greenfee was the prize for winning an open fourball competition there a few weeks earlier.

This was a long time ago now, and I have played it a good few times in better weather, but not lately.

I will play there again this winter, hopefully.

I will also say that the European Club has a character all of its own. I don't know another Irish links like it, which is a good thing.
John Marr(inan)

Pat Ruddy

« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2006, 06:30:44 AM »
Gentlemen
Just to say that Tiger Bernhardt and I have had a private correspondence
in which we have resolved our differences quite substantially.
We agree on the main points .... golf is good and we wish other well.
Regards,  Pat Ruddy

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back