News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

An Epihany?
« on: November 03, 2006, 03:35:12 PM »
What does it say about a golf course if one enjoys it so much that he struggles to recall architectural features (that were undoubtedly there) in any detail.

Mike

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 03:41:39 PM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JESII

Re:An Epihany?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 03:38:28 PM »
My opinion (not directly answering your question, but not O/t either) is that if you walk off a golf course after the first time you play it and can recall all of the architectural features clearly than your priorities are off.

EDIT FOR RE-WORDED QUESTION:

I am not sure. It must be a good thing, but I can't say I remember many features of the shitty courses I play either, especially if I am having fun, for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 03:54:10 PM by JES II »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 03:40:12 PM »
You're going to have to give an example of how that can happen... I can't imagine it being possible.

Now it IS possible that one has so much fun playing the game - due to friends, fun competition, many beers, whatever - that he completely glosses over the course and its features, thus having no recall later; but that's not the fault of the course, obviously - and one would think he could go back again and if there are worthy features to be seen, he'd notice them.

I just can't see how your example can occur though... the course being so fun on its own that you forget all the features... that seems to be beyond me.

TH

ps - late edit - I agree completely with Sully.  The game remains in the playing.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 03:40:43 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 03:43:29 PM »
I have restated the question above.  

Mike
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 03:46:26 PM by Bogey_Hendren »

JESII

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 04:08:05 PM »
Charlie,

Are these multiple plays? Or just one or two during a short period 25 years ago? Either way, that is impressive. I can't remember breakfast.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 04:15:10 PM »
Charlie,

I typically have similar recall, but experienced an exception recently.  I don't recall ever enjoying a round or course more.  The holes passed by so quickly.  I walked and carried and never felt tired or taxed for a second.  I didn't miss a fairway yet couldn't remember a few individual hole scores that evening.  

Is this an indictment or endorsement of the golf course?  I believe it's the latter.

Mike

JESII

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 04:20:06 PM »
Bogey,

I think it has to do with space aliens sucking out your short term memory and observation glands. On your death bed you shall have total and complete recall of this golf course and all its features. Unfortunately the course might suck....

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 04:25:44 PM »

What does it say about a golf course if one enjoys it so much that he struggles to recall architectural features (that were undoubtedly there) in any detail.

Mike,

It's obvious, there's only one answer.

They were drunk, stoned or both when they played it.

It's hard to imagine that a golfer who had such an enjoyable time, couldn't recall the golf course, unless you equate enjoyment with scoring, and the individual was so into scoring that nothing else filtered its way into their brain.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 04:37:17 PM »
Mike:

Isn't it an "epiphany" ?  I didn't notice until the subject came up in the reply section.

Anyway, I was going to say that one of the great things about The Sheep Ranch is that by having no "official" holes, it allows one to forget about architecture entirely and to concentrate on the joy of the game itself.  A fellow from The Shivas Irons Society wrote a great little piece about that this spring, which I will copy for my website someday when the caretaker comes out of his coma.  ::)

So, I don't think forgetting the holes is a bad thing, even if it's very difficult for me to do.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 05:24:28 PM »
Hillbilly Hendren- Is it possible the golf course fit so well into it's surrounds that the features seemed extensions of the natural land? Therefore making the specific features harder to remember.

:-X
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 05:34:07 PM »
AHA!

Now I know where this occurred....

Interestinq question now that it's in context.

TH

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 05:34:55 PM »
Adam,

Your theory has merit.

Mike

paul cowley

Re:An Epiphany?
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 07:02:09 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but I struggle remembering anything [score or features] about most rounds....hell, if it weren't for hole markers, a lot of the time I wouldn't know what hole I'm on.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 08:28:11 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Pete Garvey

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 09:04:11 AM »
The phenomenon that seems to happen with me is just the opposite.  I can’t seem to remember my golf shots shortly after playing a great course but I have total recall on the architectural features.  Being a golf pro, one would think, again, the opposite would hold true.  If there is a “Lucy” willing to explain this, I’m willing to drop a nickel in your cup!

PG

Gary Slatter

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 02:45:54 PM »
I had almost the same feelings when I played the Torrance Course at St.Andrews Bay, by myself, on a sunny day in April.  It lasted all day, even by evening when I realized there was nothing to like about the course and I couldn't tell my friends who arrived later, about any of the holes.  Like Charley mentioned I can recall every shot from tournament rounds 30 years ago, but can't remember breakfast today.
I think I enjoyed the round so much without enjoying the course, if that's possible.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back