News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pat Ruddy

Ruddy Counter Attacks
« on: October 31, 2006, 07:08:15 AM »
Gentlemen,
I have  had my attention drawn to the scurrilous programme of vilification promoted against me by a Mr. Bernhardt.
First, let it be known that I expect some people to like my golf courses and some people to dislike them. That’s okay. But this is a programmed attack on my work and, beyond that, on my good character.
It seems that Mr. Bernhardt , an attorney and so one who should have some legal sense , has been virtually stalking me for years and accusing me of being a no-good golf course architect, a marvellous self-promoter and now in 2006.... I think he should consider this one carefully .... a con man!  
My stoic acceptance of his nonsense ends with the word “con”.
Mr. Bernhardt accuses me of hyping The European Club. Nothing could be further from the truth. I built my golf course for my own enjoyment and with the objective of excellence and peace. We just play our golf, continue to develope our links to our own taste and welcome anyone who wishes to come and have a game. We promote so little that we have never advertised and do not have a Masters, a US Open, a British Open or hundreds of years of history to use as promotional tools.
Having said that, one does try hard to be good at the task of creating nice or better golf and I have persisted in improving The European Club every year since 1987! That is a considerable swipe of one’s life to remain stupidly plodding in the wrong direction!
Maybe your member doesn’t like my golf links but thousands of people do. Maybe he is right and I just got lucky and most judges are dumb enough, or worse, to see merit where there is none.
In any case, he should confine his remarks to the merits of a golf course and leave out the personal accusations.
I feel that an apology is due on this site from him .
Meanwhile, just to make the record understood, I give here just a few of the malign references to me and my golf links with some replies penned while the blood temperature is nicely raised.... I think it all paints an interesting self-portrait of Mr. Bernhardt.

August 28, 2006---- He says that Waterville is so-so but “not even close to the con the European Club is”. What does he mean by CON? As a lawyer he must be able to define terms. Give us some clarity on that one as soon as possible! Better still, publish a withdrawal and an apology.

September 25, 2006 - He writes “It (The European Club) is not top anything for me in Ireland which is not a real deep market at the top”. With a sweep he denigrates our tiny island on the basis that we do not have relative depth with Royal Co. Down, Royal Portrush, Portmarnock, Lahinch, Ballybunion, The European Club (all in GOLF’s World Top-100 despite his opinions), Ballyliffin, Waterville, Rosapenna, Royal Dublin, Co. Louth, Carne, Portstewart, The Island, Royal Dublin, Tralee, Killarney, Old Head, Doonbeg, The K-Club, Druids Glen, Mount Juliet .... and on and on.
Not bad for a country that would fit into a tiny corner of Texas and isn’t much different in area to Louisiana!

August 2006 --- He gets into strangely different country in his self-portrait with these two messages in which he forgets to mention The European Club---
On: August 11, 2006, 12:15:13 pm  on Who wants to be Michelle Wie’s Caddie....
“Once she (Michelle Wie) reaches the age of consent, sign me up”.
 and 209   GolfClubAtlas.com / Golf Course Architecture / Re:Nine people for dinner at the R&A Clubhouse? on: August 11, 2006, 11:30:11 am
I would like to add seats outside the rope for doak, coore, young, bauer
nuzz and the other architects on this site along with a special place for
Geoff,Finnigin and Brad K with a couch for M Wie, after she turns 21, and
myself. hmmm yes that would be fine”.

January 20, 2006- He was emotional. Remembering daddy’s advice but not living by it---- “My dear ole Dad always said not to judge a mans life
until you put him in the ground and the final chapter has been played”.

September 26, 2005 - He opines- “I do believe time will not be its (The European Club) friend and it will continue to go down in the eyes of the golfing world”. Well, tough luck, Sir, since you wrote this one we have been voted No. 2 in Ireland by Golf Digest Ireland and up to 15th in Britain & Ireland by Golf Monthly (UK). We continue to fall upstairs for the moment at least! Mystifying!

June 10, 2004 - Writes- “I am almost sure I said that after Robin was 2 under after 4 holes in our match with he and David. I have played one Pat Ruddy course and thats plenty. There must be 5 or 6 better than Ruddy including Robin...”
 I am glad that my pen friend in Lafayette thinks there “MUST BE”, he doesn’t know, 5 or 6 better golf architects in Europe than Pat Ruddy. 7th in Europe would be accepted by me as reasonable praise. Thank you!

September 20, 2003 - “ I have been going on here for several years about what an average course this (The European Club) is. It is so far from a top 100 course that I cannot believe that Ruddy has been able to hype it successfully this long”.
All I can say is that with friends in Lafayette doing all the talking all I have to do is relax and the world will never forget me.

August 11, 2003 - Presumably after The European Club was into the World’s Top-100 for the first time ... but before we knew it ourselves as word travels slow outside certain circles ... he wrote this beauty: “Well we know Pat Ruddy does not promote or hype his own courses. lol lol great addition to the group”.
Well, Sir, we don’t advertise, we don’t have media days, we don’t have a US Open, we don’t have a Masters, we don’t ever claim to be great but we do have you. What a promoter!

Just for the record: I copy below this letter some of the collected works of our most ardent critic dating from 2003 to the present. I expect that most Golf Atlas people will see the balance.

Warmest regards to all
from
Pat Ruddy

GolfClubAtlas.com / Golf Course Architecture / Re:Skibo
 on: October 17, 2006, 11:47:47 pm
I am up to my neck with
praise of Pat Ruddy and Donald Steele. It seems much like Archie Manning and  his children in football one they become part of the media they are off  limits to normal critque. The European Club is so over hyped it hurts and Skibo is not a top 25 in Scotland either.

Tiger_Bernhardt

GolfClubAtlas.com / Golf Course Architecture / Re:European Club versus the
Kingsbarns
 on: September 26, 2005, 10:58:59 am
Robert, I have been called off my rocker before but it does not apply to
feeling the TEC is a hyped up golf course. If you like it, then please
enjoy. I for one find it very average and not worth the time and trouble to
play. There are far to many really great golfing experiences in Ireland to
go there again. I do believe time will not be its friend and it will
continue to go down in the eyes of the golfing world.

Kingsbarns
 on: September 25, 2005, 11:18:52 pm
Robert, I really mean the European Club was the biggest diappointment of any
course in that part of the world. It is not top anything for me in Ireland
which is not a real deep market at the top.  The only reason I would play there again is if every other links
course in the area was closed and it was there or a parkland course and even
then I would probably play somewhere new.

Kingsbarns
 on: September 25, 2005, 06:32:32 pm  I feel  the European Club will
become a distant memory as the promotion by Ruddy stops.

GolfClubAtlas.com / Golf Course Architecture / Re:European Club
 on: August 12, 2004, 04:45:10 pm
I look at the Europeon Club as a missed opportunity as well. It is in the
good but not great category. Ruddy so over promoted it, one can easily get
down on the course more than it actually deserves.

Tiger_Bernhardt
YaBB God

Re:Who is the most talented architect working in Europe
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2004, 04:59:54 pm »
Rich, I am talking about The European Club, which is one of the great hype
jobs I have ever seen. It actually is not a bad course but it is not a great
course either. And he had such great land to work there.

GolfClubAtlas.com / Golf Course Architecture / Re:Tearing Up Eddie Hackett
 on: April 07, 2004, 02:18:58 pm
 when one
looks at Doonbeg, Traylee, Old Head and the Europeon Club, the lessor works
of Hacket are better. Additionally each of those had modern budgets as
opposed to most of Hackets shoestring projects.

GolfClubAtlas.com / Golf Course Architecture / Re:The Merits of The
European Club & Old Head
 on: September 20, 2003, 10:37:42 am
 I cannot believe that Ruddy has been able
to hype it successfully this long.  I will never
tell someone to go the European Club if there is any course in the Dublin
area of note they have not played.

ForkaB

Re:Ruddy Counter Attacks
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 08:04:42 AM »
Mr. Ruddy

I am sure I am not alone in welcoming you to this discussion group and being impressed with the passion of your first post.  Many thanks for your informed participation.

I shall not speak for John Bernhardt, whom I know and know to be both a gentleman and keen lover of the game of golf and golf course architecture.  As a gentleman, he will surely reply to your post, and tell you as well as the rest of us why he has such feelings for the European Club (which I have not, alas, played).

As for me, I have played at least two of the courses you have been involved in--Portsalon and Ballyliffin-Glashedy.  I think your renovation/extension work on the first is a work of genius and have said so many times in this forum, most recently last week.  As for the second, I am less enamoured, and have said so and why a few times in the past.  I'm happy to restate my thinking on each of these courses, if so desired. You should recognise that, like most others on this site, I am an amateur, but a passionate one.  Our passion and our need to say things quickly and succinctly (and our naivete) often leads us to saying things we might not want to carry to our grave, but that is the nature of this medium more than an indictment of ourselves.

I look forward to your continued participation in this forum.

Rich

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 08:17:41 AM »
Mr. Ruddy,

Welcome to this forum and we look forward to your active participation as time permits.

In the case of Mr. Bernhardt, let me simply state that I believe his years of womanizing, LSU football spectating, and frequent imbibing have taken their toll on his judgement, and each year I've taken it upon myself to get together with him for a few days to set him on the proper path, only to find that he has strayed again shortly thereafter.
I share your frustration, but will also attest that John is one of the genuinely nicest and most fun fellows on the planet.  

I'd suggest that the two of you settle your differences over a pint or two, and I believe you'll end up being as fond of John as the rest of us are, and likely visa versa.  ;D

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 08:20:33 AM »
I second Rich's welcom to you on this site.  We all benefit from having men in the business participate and particularly ones with a level of passion you clearly demonstrate.

At times postings do get negatively personal, at other times they appear so (an artifact of this medium) and for the most part it is good natured ribbing.  But underpinning all of this is our common bond of wishing to learn more about golf architecture.

I'm sure Mr. Bernhardt will reply.  Your presentation of postings show Mr. Bernhardt's obvioulsy negative feelings for your work at the European Club.  Nobody likes his work to be ripped and even more so themselves.  I hope this manages to bring this issue back to a level of discussion where we can learn and not simply disparage.  You can't please everyone but we should remain gentlemen in our discussions.  I am glad we have this forum as a platform for discussion.

Again, welcome and I look forward to learning more about golf on an island I have yet to visit.  I hope that is remedied next year.

Regards,
Wayne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 09:10:57 AM »
No one could deny that John "Tiger" Bernhardt is passionate about golf architecture, and man enough to say what he believes without pussyfooting around the issue.   No golf course can appeal to every player.  John is obviously not a fan of the European Club and has been forthright enough to say so in writing on several occasions.

I can say, as can many on this site who have spent time and played golf with John, that he is a gentleman and I'm sure will turn the other cheek to Mr. Ruddy, who is as passionate about his course as John.

In my personal opinion, "scurrilous programme of vilification" is perhaps a bit over the top in its language.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 09:12:52 AM by Bill_McBride »

John Sabino

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 09:32:00 AM »
Pat - touche! Welcome to GCA and a great first post. Your spirited defense of Irish golf is welcome. I couldn't agree with your assessment more.

I have played the European Club several times and find your approach to the game refreshing in this era of increasingly commercialized courses designed for golf carts.

Joe
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 09:32:26 AM »
When I played The European Club I came away feeling that I had met the Pete Dye of Ireland.

Mr. Ruddy was exceptionally kind and very interested in opinions, and to talk about his work. What struck me most was that he looks at golf courses as works-in-progress...so does Pete.

What seemed to be the right thing to do during building may not hold up — in fact, it may have been an awful idea. It takes a special breed of designer to accept this. For many golf architects, it's "my way of the highway"...changing a design after only a few years is taboo, not good for the image and certainly not good to maintain status with your peers.

Pat, I guess, has peers. But I felt a deeper connection with golf and golf courses in the short while I met him. I think he he a true artist and passionate about his work. (I have not seen too many golf architects selling candy bars and hats at the pro-shop counter!)

For the record: When I left I could not stand the No. 18 hole...but, it has remained in my mind for three years now. Every time I see a photo of it I smile and know that it was an experiment...one that Pat will probably keep attacking. What is exciting is not knowing whether I will like or dislike the next version! Frankly, the more I think about No. 18 the more I am inclined to accept it. Different is not always a bad trait...and "different" you will not find better defined in many other golf holes...anywhere!

I rate The European Club very high. Do I like every inch of it? Of course not. But Pat has exceptional holes and very creative ideas expressed throughout the course.

I am glad he has vented about the comments from TB. Maybe it will cause all of us to be softer on our posts, realizing that repeated comments and trends in our critiques has no purpose other than to annoy others.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

mike_malone

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 09:36:34 AM »
 Pat,

Thank you for your post. I played The European Club in 1998. I really enjoyed the holes as I came near to the coast. What changes have you made since then?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 09:37:57 AM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 09:56:09 AM »
Pat Ruddy:

John (Tiger as in LSU) is a first class felllow who is passionate for the game and equally passionate in his criticisms.  I certainly won't speak for him but I don't see the attributed impropriety in the statements of his that you reference.  

While I'm not speaking either way on the merits of his qoutes, non-merit based promotion is an issue that I've observed directly and without geographic restriction.  I see nothing wrong with calling promotion for what it is if it's not a frank discussion of the merits or weaknesses of any design.  

For instance, I'm outspoken on the merits of Prairie Dunes, Cuscowilla and Engineers (all of which I fully disclosed I'm a member of) and I have no hesitation to say that I'm a "homer" (as Jaka B. has been so kind as to say that I've got more Homer in me than Marge Simpson), but I've stated many times with homes like those its justified.  

Thus, my long winded response is that I for one welcome passionate discussion of gca merits, including regarding courses with which one is a member, designer, etc.  However I think we all need to make sure the discussions stick to gca merits and weaknesses.  

Therefore, I suggest you and John if he chooses to respond both get to the merits of critical thought and away from the rest of the banter as it is something we've (mostly) all been inclined to slip into in the past.

As for Tiger's thoughts on Irish golf, he vocally posted not long ago that he played Royal County Down 3 times in one day he loved it so much and that I should go round and round as much as possible on my first visit there in July. For me that statement alone illustrates a deep affinity for Irish golf.

I'm excited to have you as another outspoken and impassioned member of this Board and with your insight we will not doubt be a better and wiser group for it.  I do truly hope the non-gca merits stuff can be checked at the door by us all.

So, Mr. Ruddy, as you state clearly, "In any case, he should confine his remarks to the merits of a golf course and leave out the personal accusations"  I ask you to opine in detail on TEC's strengths, be them strategic, heroic, penal, aesthetic or any other elements and also what perceived weaknesses, if any, that you have.  Welcome aboard!    

Cheers,

Jason

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 10:16:18 AM »
The flip side of this is the recognition that virtually everything posted on here is opinion, and Tiger's as entitled to his as anyone. I'm quite certain that at various times many would consider Sebonack, Ballyneal, Black Mesa, etc., to have been overhyped on here, and I've never seen any advertisements for any of those either. Sometimes having a successful project brings along unfortunate accompanying baggage.

Anyway, welcome to the site. I'd love to read more about your thoughts and plans for your course, and the changes you've made. Nothing is better than when people share their passion for their own courses on here, imho.

P.S. Well said, Jason.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 10:33:56 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 10:26:56 AM »
Pat,

Gosh, you need to speak to Rees Jones and find out what vilification is really like.

As an aside, thank you for posting so honestly and passionately, I hope you do so on a fequent basis.

In your travels through Erin did you ever come across Paddy McArdle? He spent some time in Northern Rhodesia in the late fifties and sixties but returned home and I have tried to find his whereabouts ever since.

Bob

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 10:41:33 AM »
I have loved the European Club since the first time Pat drove me around his course in his car he affectionately called his "Golf mobile."  The only thing better than the courses has been the welcome by both Pat and his family.

Pat, welcome to the site and I know we will all benefit from your it and wisdom.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 10:46:18 AM »
welcome Pat, I look forward to your insights
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Sean Leary

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 11:06:08 AM »
Looks like Mr. Ruddy learned how to use the search feature quicker than anybody in the history of GCA.com :)

I just find it ironic with all of the mudslinging here that Tiger Bernhardt, of all people, is getting called out. Who's next?  Ran? Huntley? Hendren?

A selective search on one course certainly does not encompass one man...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 11:08:43 AM »
Sean - that is too funny - that's rather what I was thinking as well.  I hope to God Casey O'Callaghan (designer of THE RANCH AT SILVER CREEK) never does a counter-attack on me.

;D

But that being said, however it occurs, it is always nice to have more Irishmen in the group.  Welcome Mr. Ruddy.  I too have never played TEC, but I sure hope to some day.  

TH

JESII

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 11:12:07 AM »
It seems to me that Mr. Ruddy is most bothered by the use of the term CON. I would be as well. Hopefully Tiger will (or already has) address this directly and preferably in private.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 11:13:15 AM »
I also was happy to see another respected architect like Pat Ruddy join our little treehouse of golf course architecture discussion.  

But, Mr. Ruddy, it is a treehouse full of diversely opinionated golf design and play fanatics and it is a discussion.  

I also feel the way so many who know Tiger have defended his nature and freindship.  I don't think he is a man to wontonly speak in scurilous terms.  Critical, and opinionated yes, but he isn't about defaming or gleefully manufacturing rubbish about a man.  

I see old Tiger has an opinion about TEC, and so I did some quick reading of other notable golfers who have made various comments.  It seems that most golfers greatly enjoy your golf course at TEC along with your other work.  Ran's comments in "courses by country" are very interesting.  I would be very pleased with the accolades you have received, and I'm sure they are well deserved.  But, even old Jack Nicklaus gets a good drubbing on GCA.com from many of its participants.  No one is above the critical comment and opinion, not even Damian Pazcuzzo.  :o

I don't think Tiger Bernhardt is Irish or part Irish, as I am.  But, the old saying that the Irish are generally more harsh with each other than they are with foreigners has me wondering if a little Irish got into the Bernhardt blood line somewhere down there in the Bayou. ;) ;D 8)

I really enjoyed your passioned defense, Mr. Ruddy.  I hope you have many more comments and opinions to render for our benefit in the future.  Your insights can only make us collectively more informed. Slainte!!! ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 12:02:08 PM »
It seems to me that Mr. Ruddy is most bothered by the use of the term CON. I would be as well. Hopefully Tiger will (or already has) address this directly and preferably in private.

And it seems to me (based on the passage Mr. Ruddy quoted) that Mr. Bernhardt used "con" as a label for the European Club, not for Mr. Ruddy.

Surely there's a difference?

Welcome, Mr. Ruddy. I, for my part, hope that Mr. Bernhardt will address you directly and publicly.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jim Nugent

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 01:04:48 PM »
It surprised me to hear that Tiger doesn't like the European Club, because all I remember is the rave comments I keep hearing on this site about the course.  

Even so, few courses please everyone, and arguments and disagreements come with the territory here.  Though in this case I think Tiger is in a very small minority, perhaps of one.    

Has anyone posted a somewhat (or very) detailed review of the European Club with photos?  Would be real interesting, especially with Pat now part of the forum and possibly willing to explain his thinking on various aspects of the course.

PS -- enjoy the headline for this thread.  Makes me think of the zany Tim Burton movie, "Mars Attacks".    
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 01:05:58 PM by Jim Nugent »

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 01:55:02 PM »
Jim,

I am happy to supply the photos. Maybe someone else  can provide the detailed reviews. More images if needed.

Overview

#16?

Tim Pitner

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 01:55:04 PM »
I have read, and not just from Mr. Bernhardt, that the European Club doesn't play like a links.  I can't confirm nor deny that (never having played it), but perhaps that's what was meant by TEC allegedly being a "con."  A bit strong maybe, but not a hanging offense.  

Mr. Ruddy, I'd love to hear about the work you've done at one of my favorite hidden gems, Murvagh.  

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 02:06:41 PM »

Welcome to the group Mr. Ruddy, an excellent first post. I hope we hear more from you.

Aidan  Bradley those are simply stunning pictures, almost surreal looking.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006, 02:11:59 PM »
Aidan,

Once again, wow, thanks for posting your pictures of the club.  The first and last pictures you post, #17 from the tee and then looking back from the green are amazing.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 02:21:46 PM »
Aidan  Bradley those are simply stunning pictures, almost surreal looking.
Yes, keep it up and you might reach the pinnacle Ran has.  ;D :P
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2006, 02:23:23 PM »
Your course looks pretty good to me, wish it was next door to me

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back