News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

What kind of putting ball do you guys use.....
« on: May 28, 2007, 05:03:44 PM »
while many on here think seeling tree plans or other improvements are just a matter of explanation at many private clubs.....this question sort of puts it in perspective for a lot of golfers in America.  Just today a member at my club asked "what kind of putting ball did I use"  ......if one is so busy making decisions about putting ball choice...architecture is way down the line...probably right behind ball retreiver choice.....Oh while we are on it...what is your favorite ball retreiver??  BTW.I use a Titleist ProV....
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 05:04:21 PM by Mike_Young »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

A.G._Crockett

Re:What kind of putting ball do you guys use.....
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 05:58:08 PM »
Mike,
It is very hard to remember sometimes what a freakish subset of the golf world we are on this website.  

The three guys who came with me to Long Shadow last weekend were a great example; all good golfers, sports nuts, and smart guys.  Two of the three just could not care less about the nuances of GCA; it just doesn't make a dent.  They neither know nor care about it, and their eyes glaze over when I talk about it.

The third guy cares a lot, but has enough balance in his life to stay away from places like this! ;)
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John_Cullum

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 08:07:55 PM »
The third guy cares a lot, but has enough balance in his life to stay away from places like this! ;)

That's a rather sobering thought
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tom_Egan

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 10:05:35 PM »
The putting ball I almost always use is the one with which I played the hole.  DUH!!!!!!!

Mike Benham

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 11:16:02 PM »
The one with a cheater line ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 11:22:10 PM »
I try to stick to mostly round ones... ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

James Bennett

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 01:21:17 AM »
Quite often, I have picked up before I got to putt.

On a good day, I chip in and don't have to putt!

Mike, your post is a sobering thought indeed.  We all need to remember to smell the roses on the way.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tom Roewer

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 07:47:02 AM »
My good friends just came back from Wild Horse.  As they went from #9 to #10, a twosome came up and they asked if they wanted to play through.  The 2 some said that they were just beginning their round on #1 but thanks anyway for the gesture.  Both players in the 2 some were wearing denim bib overalls and boots.  I wonder if they use a putting ball?  

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 08:01:08 AM »
Mike -

You and I both know that most golfers don't "see" the architecture.

Even though the architecture determines the kinds of shots they play and the the way they play them. The architecture disappears for them.  

Most people don't see a golf course as a design. A golf course is - at least for the group I play with - a place where you see friends, make bets and talk trash.

Bob
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 09:46:20 AM by BCrosby »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 04:29:04 PM »
I use the same one I play the hole with. I have not heard that name though since I was a kid and kept a nice round one to put with. lol

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 04:32:41 PM »
Occasionally my wife will pull out an old ball for a water hole.  Is that the same sort of thing?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 04:44:04 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm following the main gist of this thread.  Its my understanding that the ball which is put in play off the tee must be used to finish the hole unless its lost or damaged.

Unless you are just talking about which ball do you practice putting with on the practice green?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 05:42:54 PM »
There once was a time when you could switch balls on the green.  The old mantra was Top Flite/Molitor on the tee, Titleist Pro-Trajectory 90 on the green.

Perhaps the guy asking was older and didn't know the rule changed 25+ years ago?

Mike_Young

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 05:46:25 PM »
I have just always found it easier to have a ball I use thru the green and then have a really nice putting ball...even if the same brand....plus you can always use a lake ball thru the green if you wish.....

SL_Solow

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 05:52:52 PM »
Dan;  I don't think the rules ever allowed you to change balls during a hole unless it was damaged.  The "one ball" rule prohibited changes of brands during the round.  With the advent of the 2 piece ball, players were changing from hole to hole depending upon wind, length etc.  Long par 3s brought out the 2 piece distance balls even for some touring pros.  Thus the formulation of the 0ne ball rule.

The putting ball probably grew out of the desire to putt with a clean ball and some players finding it easier to switch balls than to carry a wet towel.  Of course those players didn't play in tournaments.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 06:09:58 PM »
Both players in the 2 some were wearing denim bib overalls and boots.

My goodness, that is almost derigueur in Nebraska!  I've seen plenty of sod busters at WH playing in bibs.  Bib cut offs sans undershirt are real cool when it is 90+*.  I've been debating getting me a pair.  I'm waiting for Adam to fully adopt the culture out there.  When he does, I will!  ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 06:21:29 PM »
I try to stick to mostly round ones... ::)

You can tell they're mostly round by the way your putts wobble near the hole.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 06:22:55 PM »
I have just always found it easier to have a ball I use thru the green and then have a really nice putting ball...even if the same brand....plus you can always use a lake ball thru the green if you wish.....

Thats all fine and good I suppose for your weekend matches, but it is a two stroke penalty to swap out balls on the green even if it is the same manufacturer and ball type.

Mike_Young

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 07:13:44 PM »

Thats all fine and good I suppose for your weekend matches, but it is a two stroke penalty to swap out balls on the green even if it is the same manufacturer and ball type.
Kalen,
I have found that if one is very careful when he cleans his ball he can slip the putting ball in b4 the others see it..just keep the same brand...I might not try it in a US Open but a US AM or some other lesser tourney might work w/o being called...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 07:15:44 PM »
lol.

Well I'll never have to worry about playing in any of those tournies with my 13 handicap...   ;D

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 08:54:47 PM »
SL - you're right...  I was thinking about the ball switching based on the characeristics of the hole.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 12:22:22 AM »
Dan;  I don't think the rules ever allowed you to change balls during a hole unless it was damaged.  The "one ball" rule prohibited changes of brands during the round.  With the advent of the 2 piece ball, players were changing from hole to hole depending upon wind, length etc.  Long par 3s brought out the 2 piece distance balls even for some touring pros.  Thus the formulation of the 0ne ball rule.

The putting ball probably grew out of the desire to putt with a clean ball and some players finding it easier to switch balls than to carry a wet towel.  Of course those players didn't play in tournaments.

I'm pretty sure the "one ball rule" was a condition of competition that only affected the tour and USGA events.  I don't think there is any rule that would prevent me from playing a Titleist on even numbered holes, a Callaway on odd numbered holes and a Nike on the 13th if I wanted to.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 07:43:37 AM »
The one ball rule still exists as a local rule for most professional and high-level amateur compeitions.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back