News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Van Egmond

Re: Whats the best NEW course you played this year
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2002, 08:09:21 PM »

Matt,

I played the Wolf Course last year and the wind just howled!  I was playing with this guy from California and about the 10th hole he was clearly frustrated and asked the local guy in our group "Is it always this f**king windy out here?, if so I'm never coming back"

I also thought the 17th was disappointing, totally out of character with the rest of the course.

The Wolf course is certainly more of a test than the other two courses, although all are worth playing.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Steve Lapper

« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2002, 08:38:14 PM »

Does it traditionally play firm and fast?  I played it after the Jersey shore had gotten several inches of rain and the course didn't drain very well.  Since it seemed to be built on clay (definetely wasn't sand), I was curious if it tends to be wet all the time.  

Dan,

I was fortunate enough to play nine there two weeks ago (right after Hidden Creek) and found the conditions fairly firm and fast. Like Matt, I like the course very much. However, it does lose something in its obvious manufacturing of the land. Most of the created dunes seemed to have these considerably false grassy peaks (like a good set of hairy falsies) that need to be rounded out and weathered in order to appear somewhat natural. I genuinely liked it enough to make sure to get back and play the back nine ASAP. The f & F conditions really suited the course architecture and left me with multiple options by air and land.....a trait I associate with positive experiences.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:09 PM by -1 »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2002, 07:39:21 AM »
Sorry to disappoint Mr. Doak in not seeing more new (in age) courses, but I'll have to say that Pacific Dunes was the best newish course I have played this year (so far).  I admit I have only played 4 courses that are only less than 3 years old.  2 were by GCA fave archies, and 2 were by regional lesser-knowns (in golf course design realms).

I have played 16 new (first time played) courses this year, the same as I saw all of last year and a lot by my usual standards, due to having 2 small children at home and I travel little with my 8-5 job.  I do not have the chance to tour the country as Mr. Doak has or some of our resident All-Travel Team members have.  I also have seen very few of the great classic courses, and I feel that it is in my best interest (for learning, not "collecting") to see them first, now that I have occasion to do so.

I actually get to see almost all of my new (1st time) courses AWAY from home.  I don't get to play the new ones around my area, because I am essentially "locked" into playing at my home club.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2002, 08:03:03 AM »
Dan G:

Twisted has had issues of drainage from what others have told me. In the times I've been there it's usually been after a number of dry days and there has been appropriate amount of run in the fairways and on the greens if your approach is not hit correctly. I also believe the club may have opened a tad too soon last year and as a result many of the "fine" points were put on the back burner.

One of the issues that always comes to the surface is the lack of quality sand -- especially in the green site locations. From my conversations with key people at the club this is something that will be changed.

Craig E:

I don't have any statistics to prove it but Vegas has got to be one of the windiest cities for its size in the USA. If you attempt to play golf in the region you'd better be prepared for the afternoon gusts -- especially in the spring.

I credit the design team in giving the player appropriate latitude off the tee because if the course was too narrow the demands could be off the charts.

Your point about the 17th is well taken -- the cross bunkering there was clearly out of step with the rest of the course. As I said previously I just wish the "island green" concept would get the boot -- it doesn't fit in at the course.

slapper:

The key for Twisted Dune will be dealing with the fine points as the course matures. You are so right about the mounding aspect -- you don't want them to evolve into some sort of teepee design.

I'd be most interested in getting your take on the back nine because that is where the course rises to another level beyond so many others. The par-3 13th and par-4 14th are just two examples of stunning holes on that side.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2002, 08:01:33 PM »
I was lucky enough to get out to more than 30 new courses over the last year (not bad for my first year of marriage I didn't think).  Although we now have the future US Open Champion (or Womens Open Champ) percolating in my wifes womb so I am sure my numbers will fall off next year drastically.  I guess that is the official GCA announcement of that, I thought about starting a post on it as it was such a major milestone in my life, but just couldnt figure out the golf architecture angle to work in.  I guess I will just have to wait to see if he/she comes during Masters week.  (We are due 4/2/03)  I am hoping if it is a girl we might be able to name her Mackenzie.  Although I know that is not unique among this crowd.  Maybe that would be another good thread to start sometime.  "How many of you have daughters named Mackenzie?"  That seems to be the one architect/golf name that I might be able to get my wife to buy off on.  She already said no way for Allister or Seth if it is a boy, and I got the veto on Eldrick also.  We thought about Tyler, because she liked the name, and I knew I could call him Ty (for Ty Webb), however we both decided that it might be cruel to name a kid after a workout video (Ty Boe).

But I have digressed.....

I did see some interesting things out there this year.  Someone was asking about Sage Valley several times so I will start there.  Sage Valley is awesome.  Fazio did a great job of routing this course over a great piece of property with some rolling topography, great GA pines, some spectacular holes.  Also on the private front in no particular order.  I was suprised that no one mentioned Briars Creek, Rees's new one down near Kiawah.  Spectacular use of the low country property.  Also loved Bulls Bay in Charleston (Strantz's first private course) which I have posted some fairly lenghty details on in the past.

Coastal Pines near Brunswick, GA was a fun course for like $24.  I thought about mentioning it on Bill V's post earlier on Jacksonville.  I thought for the money you cant beat it.  Also thought The Lion down near Atlanta has some sporty holes for an affordable track.  I cant remember exactly what the greensfee was at this time, but not bad.

If money is no object to you the new Oconee Course at Reynolds Plantation should not be missed.  If money is REALLY no option go ahead and splurge for the room at the ajoining Ritz-Carlton (the only way my wife let me spend the money on that is that I took her there for our 1st anniversary).  

Also Someone mentioned on one of the earlier pages Jim Engh's new Tullymore.  Although slighly off the beaten path in central MI it is a wonderful course.  Beautiful, peaceful surroundings, and a great mix of holes.  Although definitely a parkland course there are a couple holes and green complexes that might make you think you are in ireland.  I dont have the scorecard handy, but I think it was the Par 3 12th that should be played from the back tees for a wild ride (very long, but fun) and there are a couple of great short par 4's as well.  One with a semi-blind green behind a large dune looking hill (I think it might have been the 11th)  Again I apologize if the holes are slightly off as I dont have the card handy, and it was early summer I was up there.

Turboe
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Lou_Duran

« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2002, 08:10:33 AM »
Turboe,

I played Briar's Creek about two weeks ago, and I agree that it is a fine course.  However, in my opinion, it is not quite in the same class as the River Course at Kiawah.  I would place it closer to Cassique, a wonderful Tom Watson design nearby.  I think that Dallas National (Fazio) is in the same class as River, though the natural topography is much more pronounced (at DN) and brought into play very effectively.  It would not surprise me if DN was a high contender next year for the top new course in the private category.

GOB

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2002, 09:46:13 AM »
Either Shinney or Harbor side.  Medinah was also pretty sweet too...  Slazenger balls rule!

-GOB

Tom Doak

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2002, 12:08:22 PM »
Turboe and Matt W.,

You're among the few posters who named four or five courses, mostly by different architects.  And neither one of you went out on a limb to say which of the bunch you thought was the best!

THuckaby2

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2002, 12:20:24 PM »
OK, I'll take this challenge and name each course nominated for GD's best new status this year that I have played.  I started as a rater toward the middle of this year, so I didn't get the assignments other raters got.  I assume I will next year.  That being the case, getting to new courses wasn't much of a priority for me this year...but here goes, in order:

Applebrook GC (Malvern, PA)
Mayacama GC (Santa Rosa, CA)
Shadow Lakes GC  (Brentwood, CA)
Lost Canyons (Shadow)  (Simi Valley, CA)
GC at Boulder Ridge (San Jose, CA)
Coyote Creek GC (Valley Course)  (San Jose, CA)

I also played Barona Creek (near San Diego, CA) but I gather that was on last year's list.

I enjoyed all of these courses and think each one has at least some merit.  Applebrook and Mayacama are each excellent and a substantial cut above the rest... Shadow Lakes is a darn good course on a tough site that Todd E. did a great job with... Lost Canyons I will never discuss again  ;)...  The GC at Boulder Ridge has 11 decent holes then crosses a road and loses itself... Coyote Creek (Valley) is fine by me but the worst of this list easily.

TH
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:09 PM by -1 »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2002, 01:20:19 PM »
T.D.

I thought I did, when I selected some key thoughts on a few courses in different categories out of the more than 30 I saw total, that was meant to imply some level of how impressed I was with them.  I really did not have much negative to say about any one I saw this year, but tried to pick out some of the best that I saw this year.

There are so many that it is hard to mention without a fairly long posting (which I just dont have time for right now).

Like I forgot I wanted to also mention Gil Hanse's work over at Capstone Club for the University of Alabama.  That was a lot of fun as well.  Some good stuff.  Just kind of slipped my mind when I was posting last night.

Cheers,
Turboe

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Matt_Ward

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2002, 01:29:22 PM »
Tom Doak:

Fair point!

I will say that this year appears not to be as competitive as some past years. For example, in the upscale category last year you had your fantastic design at Pacific Dunes and it competed against such wonderful layouts as Arcadia Bluffs, Wolf Creek at Paradise Canyon, Ocean Hammock and a few others of note. Two years before that you had Bandon Dunes, Whistling Straits and Bay Harbor.

I am still playing a few more "new" courses this year and will post the leaders in the same categories that Digest uses in the next few days.

John Foley

« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2002, 01:48:02 PM »
Here is a few:

Ravenwood (outside Rochester, NY) by Robin Nelson. Very very strong! Anyone else seen this?

Battlefield @ Legends-Niagara Falls & Royal Toot @ Osprey Valley @ by Doug Carrick (w/ help from our own Ian Andrew). Very surprised if one of these do not win best new Canadian.

For what it's worth.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Hickorygolf (Guest)

« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2002, 01:50:40 PM »
Kingsley Club.
Looking forward to seeing the restored Beverly in a few years if restorations count.
R3

John Foley

« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2002, 02:21:11 PM »
Here is a few:

Ravenwood (outside Rochester, NY) by Robin Nelson. Very very strong! Anyone else seen this?

Battlefield @ Legends-Niagara Falls & Royal Toot @ Osprey Valley @ by Doug Carrick (w/ help from our own Ian Andrew). Very surprised if one of these do not win best new Canadian.

For what it's worth.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2002, 03:17:52 PM »
John,

I too thought Battlefield was quite strong and would not be surprised to see it do well in Canada, but alas I have not seen much else Canada had to offer this year.

I did not have the opportunity to play Ravenswood as I saw it while driving across the Thruway too late in the evening, by the time I found out how to get to it, I basically had time to take a cart and ride around a bit of it.  I thought it looked quite stunning, but there were a couple of holes that I wanted to reserve judgement until I had a chance to play it (If I have a chance I should say) as there were a couple holes that I just wasnt sure about.

Cheers,
Turboe

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2002, 07:55:23 PM »
Daryl,

I know this response is also non-architecture related...but CONGRATS, man!...on the impending birth of a junior Turboe.

Have you already bought the first set of US Kids golf clubs? ;)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

HW

« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2002, 06:22:47 AM »
River Marsh Cambridge, MD.

This is not going to be the best New course, but I did get to play it the FIRST day it was open to the public (Saturday 9/20/02)--a FIRST for me.

Course not quite ready.  A few interesting holes.  Par 4 (hole 7 or 8) requires a 240 drive uphill to clear a trap.  Par 3 (hole 12 or 13) very nice-tricky green.

Similar to Upland (Denton, MD) which IS a nice, new course this year but also not the best.  Very good shape!

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2002, 06:32:23 AM »
I think the course I am going to mention may be 2 years old but nonetheless it's new to me and new enough to mention.

That course is......

TALL GRASS on the northeast end of Long Island.

I enjoyed this links style layout with no trees and a windswept look.  Only one hole has water, which does look out of place, but it's used for drainage and irrigation so it has some purpose.  

If you get a chance it is worth it in my opinion to play this fun public course.

Jeff F.

#nowhitebelt

henrye

« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2002, 08:24:55 AM »
John.  I may be mistaken, but I think you are referring to Royal Hoot @Osprey Valley and not Royal Toot.  There are 2 new courses and the names are very similar (and ridiculous).

The "Hoot" is the wasteland course with the rapid running through the 17th fairway.  The "Toot" is the parkland design.  Both are good, but the "Hoot" is stunning.

I have a small cabin a few miles from the course and the 54-hole facility is the best kept secret in golf.  I play twilight with my son and we are often the only ones around.  Spectacular!

Bandon Employee

« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2002, 09:04:52 AM »
Sheep Ranch.

I was able to wander the site one early evening.  I walked the beach and then climbed up the hill on to the proposed course.  I have pictures if anyone would like to see them.  It will definately be the best new course of 2003 or 2004.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2002, 09:54:55 AM »

Sheep Ranch.

I was able to wander the site one early evening.  I walked the beach and then climbed up the hill on to the proposed course.  I have pictures if anyone would like to see them.  It will definately be the best new course of 2003 or 2004.

Tried to Send you an E-Mail...no such address????
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2002, 06:40:28 PM »
Evan,

Thanks man, I appreciate it. (no I havent got the US kids clubs yet, but I am sure it wont be long)

Back to the topic.  I just saw a wonderful new track in West Virginia, that has to be one of the top 10 in the state, maybe it will be top 5.  I know it is WV we are talking about (Not intended to be a slap, but I am anticipating the backlash that someone might post), but that is still pretty strong.  And I would think it will be up there with some of the best new next year.

It is the Stonewall Resort GC @ Stonewall Jackson Lake State Park.  Palmer Design Co. did it, and although it would be nearly unwalkable in a couple of places (although a local college team does it) there are some spectacular holes.  There are a nice mix of some long and brutish holes and some sporty little ones as well.  

Very enjoyable, even if out-of-the-way course.  And a decent value at right around $50.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:10 PM by -1 »

Jay Carstens

« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2002, 09:12:58 AM »
Arbor Links Golf Course
Nebraska City

Arbor Links opened this year and plays across two branches of Table Creek, northwest of Arbor Day Farm in southeast Nebraska.  The course is a coop between AP Design, Landscapes Unlimited, and the National Arbor Day Foundation.  It’s designed as a laboratory to evaluate environmental impact on native ecosystems and as an opportunity to educate.  A main goal was to utilize the land with minimal disruption (it fits perfectly, too), to take advantage of natural flows for drainage, and to minimize erosion during construction.  No housing is included.

As for playing the course, it features wide fescue fairways and subtle greens.  Every hole is named for a tree species, with hundreds of new saplings to compliment the existing stands (this course is going to be absolutely beautiful).  #1-18 include: Black Cherry Row, National Tree Trail, Plum Thicket, Oak Savanna, Apple Orchard, Willow Wallow, Baldcypress Bay, Ash Alley, Sumac Return, Locust Lane, Hickory Hollow, Planetree Place, Hazelnut Hill, Redbud Run, White Pine Wall, Walnut Way, Hawthorn Terrace, and Cottonwood Creek.

Green fee: $37.  For more, see www.arborlinks.com  

McCloskey

Have you played Mayacama in Santa Rosa, Ca.?
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2002, 04:15:02 PM »

This being the first day of fall, I'll assume everyone played a ew course in your local area or made a trip somewhere in the world to look at a new course.  I'm interested to know what single course knocked your socks off this year.  

I'll start, in Northern California I didn't find any courses that are going to be USA Top 100 material or that interesting but I played Whisper Rock in Arizona built by Phil Mickelson that I really enjoyed.  Whisper Rock is in the mold of Medalist, a real players club.  The bunkers are shaped like San Francisco Golf Club and the greens have huge chipping areas allowing a wide variety of options for getting the ball up and down.  

McCloskey

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2002, 04:42:42 PM »
You said you played in N. Calif and didn't find anything worth of top 50.  Did you play Mayacama in Santa Rosa, Ca.?  I've heard some great things about it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back