News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

The Architect's Club
« on: October 26, 2006, 03:45:46 PM »
I know this NJ course has been discussed here before, but with all of the Bandon hoopla, is this "homage" course being overlooked?  

http://www.thearchitectsclub.com/

I've never been or played it.  What are the thoughts of those that have, in respect to its interpretation of each Golden Age designer... or maybe I should go through the archives to pull up a past thread on this, but I'm very tired.  

Matt_Ward

Re:The Architect's Club
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 03:50:47 PM »
Wayne:

The first few holes at The Architect's Club are a snore.

The pace picks up considerably with the long par-4 4th and really accelerates from that point on. The holes are more of a "recreation" and frankly some of them have little real tie to the architect they are celebrating -- for example - the long par-4 9th is one of NJ's best public long holes but the Ross connection is merely window-dressing and far removed from he has done at some of his personal connected layouts.

The Architect's is one of the ten best public courses in all of NJ and is worth a play for those in the area.

The only other downer at the course is the lackluster closer --the 18th is a celebration of Trent Jones and candidly the hole is a dud and far from the qualities you see prior to that hole.

Geoffrey Childs

Re:The Architect's Club
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 03:57:21 PM »
Wayne

Architects Club is worth a play and its not a bad golf course at all.  However, to be candid they are truly only paying lip service to the design intents of the architects.  In particular, the greens complexes are highly watered down when compared with the bold features of typical original designs.  In that sense, you get the eye candy but not the substance of the real experience.  I've heard Matt I believe use the term Architect's-lite and I would agree with that assessment.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back