News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Battle Creek CC (Willie Park) in Mich.
« on: October 26, 2006, 09:38:07 PM »
A veteran super. told me this course had some  notable greens. Has anyone  played it. Are there some vintage/ stellar holes or  nice rolling terrain. How does the course compare to other Golden age courses in southern Michigan such as Barton Hills or Muskegon. thanks for any feedback.

Jim Thompson

Re:Battle Creek CC (Willie Park) in Mich.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 10:13:33 PM »
Mark,

BCCC is one of my favorite places to play and if I lived over there, I'd do everything I could to be a member.  With the exception of a couple holes it is truly classic and timeless architecture.  Those couple holes are just a bit short for today's equipment and only need slight alteration as well.  I first got to play BCCC in the summer of 1994 as a fill in for a pro-am and have tried to play in that event EVERY year since.  It is my favorite OLD private club in southwest Michigan.  The greens have a great balance of the old roll and are always scary quick.  I think they are the type of greens Ed Getka would like most.  The course is set on property with 50 - 60 foot of rolling elevation that works nicely and has an inside / outside routing that you can very easily lose your sense of direction on.  It is a must play if you get the chance!

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 10:20:17 PM »
If you are in the area, it is worth the trip. The greens by themselves are are worth seeing. Most are very large and the 18th is incredible with it's huge rolloff to the front. I'd like to know if more of the greens there are supposed to be more like the 18th.
Wish I had brought a camera to document some of the details.
Also have to get out and see more Park to better understand what he was doing.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

bill_k

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 08:54:58 AM »
Somewhere, at some point, someone started a thread on Park here on GCA in the murky past...I recall someone stating that the 18th (green) at Battle Creek was a template that Park used often...I believe it was called a "table" green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back