News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re:A View From the Hill--The Home of Golf In America
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006, 10:46:43 PM »
Tommy, did you take that NGLA photo from a neighbor's backyard?  ???   That looks like the Short green and #12 fairway down below, so must be taken from way OB.  Great photo, just put it on my desktop background.  The windmill, what an icon!  8)

Appears to have been taken from back of the 13th tee at Shinnecock.

Hole in your foreground is #15 Shinnecock.

Gene, isn't the green on the left the Short #6 which would mean the 13th fairway in the foreground?  Is there a green in that relationship to 15th fairway?  I thought the 2nd green maybe was pretty high up above the 15th fairway.  I'm having a hard time tying it all together.

But I now have a new favorite golf course east of the Mississippi!

No.

It's as I stated.

Gotcha.  I thought you meant #15 NGLA until I reread your post!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2006, 10:53:29 PM »
Tommy those pictures take my breath away. Here I am thinking you quit your job as GCA fuzz and took the position as producer for Lasorta's World Series spots for fox. Now you are back in your element as a true man with passion for the art which is in golf architecture.

Gene Greco

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 01:01:10 AM »
Bill - The course in the immediate foreground is Shinnecock, not NGLA. All that can be seen of NGLA is its clubhouse and windmill. Also - "13th fairway"? At NGLA?

Gene - Are you sure this is from the 13th Tee? I'm not sure where it is, but from the orientation 15th seems to be moving left to right below, which would make this somewhere other than the 13th tee, perhaps off of the property.

SPDB:

#15 DOES move left to right.

This was either taken with a zoom lens from the back of the thirteenth tee or from the hill to the left of the green at Thom's Elbow (#14) where the grandstand was in the '95 Open. However, I don't remember if one could see the windmill at NGLA from this area but I know the elevation is high enough at the back of the 13th to do so without obstruction.  
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 02:13:00 AM »
Dr. Greco gets the cigar. The image of National in the distance was taken from the back tee on #13. However, I can't remember if I had the zoom on or not when I took the photo.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 02:19:13 AM by Tommy Naccarato »

Ted Kramer

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2006, 06:08:06 AM »
Wow, Tommy N, those are some incredible pics.
Thanks for sharing!!

-Ted

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2006, 08:51:45 AM »
Not a great picture, but you can see the fairway line for #14 at The Open is 3-4 feet inside the left "rough" bunker compared to Tommy's where it is a fairway bunker.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 09:51:33 AM »
Tommy,

Did you ever consider a career in photography?   Those pictures are absolutely artistic and stunning, and possibly the best I've ever seen of Shinnecock.

Thanks for sharing,
Mike

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back