News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

Re:Why aren't more of these built?
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006, 03:17:38 AM »
Sorry I missed this. But I finally made it.

The photo you posted was from the forward tee. There is a rather deep ravine fronting the tees. Not a long carry, but certainly not a good walk. The path is at left, and is really not that much out of the way. It beats having to go down...and then up...although I do think the locals have worn a path.

This hole (No. 16 at The Hideout; Monticello, Utah — 375-yards) was a natural fairway and green site that we found in the routing. Only the right side of the fairway was graded. As I recall, we filled in some old cattle tank diversion ditches and created what is now a lower deck along the pines.

The green site in a natural saddle between two trees. I left the trees because they fit. We have always expected one or more to die, but so far so good. The trees behind are well down the slope from the green. They are in natural undisturbed areas, so removing them would go against all my promises to the town.

There are no bunkers on No. 16. In fact, there ate exactly 13 total on The Hideout — 13 in all!

This is a shot from the regular tees

A closer shot of the green approach
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 03:25:03 AM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2006, 10:46:31 AM »
...There is a rather deep ravine fronting the tees. Not a long carry, but certainly not a good walk. The path is at left, and is really not that much out of the way. It beats having to go down...and then up...although I do think the locals have worn a path.

Golf is a walking game. Therefore, Tom Paul and I believe a foot bridge would be appropriate. As I recall, there was no worn footpath by the locals, because I would have taken it. Unfortunately, judging by the army of carts around the place, I think the locals have no use for a footpath.

Thanks for the beautiful pictures Forrest. Although, methinks Mark would think them too green. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2006, 01:28:48 PM »
Footbridge???

As Dr. MacKenzie proved at Cypress Point's 18th, there is no use for them in golf.  ;)
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back