News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Contemporary Designs by the same Architect
« on: October 18, 2006, 12:25:42 PM »
Is the comparison of golf courses built during the same timeframe by the same architect an overlooked method of critiquing an architect's talent?

For example, Park, Jr. was platooning time between Maidstone and Penn State in building their respective courses in 1922. Having never seen Maidstone, to date, I can't comment on specifics, but the pictures, routing and land indicate a different design style and sophistication than the somewhat simple parkland on the Penn State site.

Park got a lot out of PSU's site, and I'm sure Maidstone's fame is well earned as well.

What other courses are paired in this way?

Kyle Harris

Re:Contemporary Designs by the same Architect
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 04:35:49 PM »
In glaring self-interest and because I think a bunch of people missed this.

Bumpity bump bump bump.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 05:25:33 PM »
Kyle, it seems to me that many architects earliest work seems to have similar features.  Pet Dye and his bunkering and Nicklaus and his table top fairways and greens are examples.  As they matured they tried new things, broadened their style, and now it is more difficult to type them.  
So to answer your question I think it is better to see how they have grown and matured through the years.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:00:07 PM »
Tommy,

I'm more going for what the architects were building or working on at the same time.

What was Tillie doing while building Winged Foot, SFGC, etc?

Ross while building Aronomink?

Willie Park, Jr. literally left the Maidstone sight, hopped on the LIRR, switched trains at Penn Station in Manhattan, took the Broadway Limited to Lewistown, PA on the Pennsy mainline and bus into State College to work on the White Course.

Courses that were born out of the same point in time from an architect.

For the modern architect and contributing architects, how do your concurrent projects influence each other, if at all?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:00:20 PM by Kyle Harris »

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 06:47:51 PM »
I have no idea, but I would think that concurrent projects wouldn't contribute to each other much. It seems to me the effect will be seen in the future as the style of the architect evolves.
   I would think that concurrent projects where one is a restoration/renovation would have more effect, because then the archie is doing his thing at a new course while also being influenced by the course he is changing.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 07:13:43 PM »
RTJ Sr worked the Dunes Club in Myrtle Beach at the same time as Peachtree in Atlanta and to my novice eye the look is similar. Although I also think that the Golden Horsehoe Gold course has many similarites to the other two and it was built in the early Sixties.

Three example of RTJs best work.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 07:14:35 PM by Bill Gayne »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back