News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Old Mac 12
« on: October 21, 2006, 10:50:27 AM »
Anyone care to venture a guess on who the twelve will be?

Doak
Urbina
Bahto

Nine more...

RJ_Daley

Re:Old Mac 12
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 11:04:14 AM »
Hepner, Slawnick, Proctor, Axeland, Schneider, Whittman, Liddy, DeVries, Silva.

I'd buy tickets to attend those meetings! :o ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Gary Daughters

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 11:06:06 AM »

Great question!

Mucci
Ekstein
Bardot
Garcia
Naccaratto (sp?)
Shalala
Dr. J
Oprah
Hatalsky
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 03:32:34 PM »
There will be as many people participating as we believe would be helpful and productive.  That might be a lot of people, or it might be nobody else.  So far everyone involved is from the list of prospective helpers that Mike asked me to suggest; there were three or four more names on that list, one of whom has declined.

The rest of my associates (all of them) will be at the first meeting a week from now.

I have mixed feelings about getting other professional architects involved -- as does Mike.  Collaboration can be a good thing, but I've heard that sometimes the politics can be tough.  :)  We both agree that one of the reasons Pacific Dunes came out so well was that there was no dissension from anyone involved the whole way through ... lots of people made suggestions then, too, but in the end it was up to me and to Mike to make the decisions about which way to go.

Anyone who wants to help out is free to call me and volunteer.  But, we do know how to build a golf course already, so you have to know something about Macdonald's work which George and Karl and Jim and Brad and I don't already know.

Michael Robin

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 03:51:20 PM »
Tom -

Any other details you can pass on, such as what was the look on your face when Mike proposed this(or did someone else propose this?)? Were you initially skeptical or immediately enthused? This feels really cool as an idea and looks to to be historical. Bravo!

SPDB

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 03:54:32 PM »
Alright, I'll say it: I'd like to be part of the team. I'm not sure I can satisfy the job prerequisites, and I don't think I'm alone. I can only offer blood, sweat and tears.  
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 04:03:02 PM by SPDB »

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 04:14:09 PM »
Barack Obama will have to be involved, since I read recently that he's the greatest thing since sliced bread or NGLA (whichever came first). ::)

he'll be two years into his first term by then Shiv, so, depending on Mr. Keiser's political leanings and Obama's schedule, maybe he can hit the first official tee shot....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 04:47:07 PM »
Would there be a more influential choice than to have Tiger Woods on the Board? How big would that be?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Gary Daughters

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 07:15:28 PM »

About the name:

Old MacDonald -- out
CBGC -- in

omfug
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 09:11:35 PM »
I have heard that Tiger's consulting fee is $25 million.  That's almost as much as I'm making on the project, and I don't know that Mike K. would want to pay us both that much.

John Kirk

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 10:35:27 PM »
I have heard that Tiger's consulting fee is $25 million.  That's almost as much as I'm making on the project, and I don't know that Mike K. would want to pay us both that much.

Ummm...that sounds like a lot.

Consulting/architectural fees:

Fazio - $2 million
Nickalus - $2 million
Woods - $25 million
Doak - $27 million

Seems like you've leapfrogged the field.  Congratulations on hitting the lottery!  Surely you can't be serious.

I'm very excited about this project, and am looking forward to it.  To build a template course on sand dunes with modern agronomy practices should yield the greatest American course since Ballyneal.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 10:36:04 PM by John Kirk »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 03:58:22 AM »
This might be unpopular but what the hell does Tiger Woods really know about this stuff????

25 mil, come on!!!!

I invite him and Elin to come by my shanty in SE Portland and set me straight.  I'll kick his ass at his own video game before schooling him at a game of horse down at the local playground.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Greg Tallman

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 02:17:57 PM »
I had heard Tiger received "only" $20 million for the Dubai deal.

Tom - What is the potential for his course given the site? As good as the others at BD?

My input would be limited to suggesting that the sixth hole at Mid Ocean not be used as a reference for any work on your course...

Unfortunately if you ask why I do not lke that hole... I really can't put my finger on it... just something there that made me think "gosh I really dislike this golf hole"

Joe Hancock

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 02:29:50 PM »
Tom - What is the potential for his course given the site? As good as the others at BD?

How does Tom answer this one? "Well, it won't be as good as the other Bandon courses, but it's a great way to get a little more design and construction practice in on Keiser's nickel...." ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Greg Tallman

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 02:35:09 PM »

How does Tom answer this one? "Well, it won't be as good as the other Bandon courses, but it's a great way to get a little more design and construction practice in on Keiser's nickel...." ;D

Joe

I trust he could come up a with a carfully crafted answer that somewhere within contains an honest assessment of the land.

ForkaB

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 02:36:01 PM »
Joe

There goes your shot to become one of the disciples.... :'(

Joe Hancock

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 02:41:34 PM »
Well, it's apparent that I should have carefully crafted my response with an emoticon that would portray humor, nonsense and tongue-in-cheekitude. Does that even exist?

Rich,

Who's Lordship was I being considered for a disciple position? I never got the memo...... :) Maybe I can type a retraction if the offer is lucrative enough for me to sell my...... :o

Joe

ForkaB

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 03:09:24 PM »
Don't worry Joe--my invitational letter hasn't come yet either, but then again it takes a long time to get even electronic mail to Scotland........

Joe Hancock

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 03:23:13 PM »
Rich,

You're deserving of one. I am not, which may explain my attempts at humor. To make it perfectly clear to those who don't know me well...and that is many of you....I have nothing but respect for Tom, Mr. Keiser and pretty much everyone in the industry. Please, everyone, don't misinterpret my attempts here as any kind of sour grapes. None exist in my world, as I feel very fortunate to have the opportunities I do. I have more inside knowledge than some of you, and much less than some of you. As DeVries' associate, I am only made privy to information that pertains to us, and no more.

Not that it should be a matter of public knowledge, but I did send Tom a congratulatory note shortly after the first postings here. He deserves it, and I don't think anyone begrudges him any of his opportunities. Not onloy that, but his team is proven talent.

I get sarcastic at times....this isn't one of them. Most of my other posts on this topic have been. Sorry for the confusion.

Joe

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 12:20:35 AM »
Did Matt Ward make the list? Surely he has played every McDonald/Raynor course on the planet. ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back