News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Dan Kelly

Re:Bandon's 4th Course Unveiled
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2006, 08:11:48 AM »
Is there some sort of prize for the first publication that spells "Macdonald" right?

... here an oink, there an oink, everywhere an oink-oink ...
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2006, 08:43:34 AM »
On a previous thread I stated that I thought Doak whould get the job for the 4th course...I was right on.

I also wrote a thread about "Old White" at the Greenbrier, which I played twice last month. For those of you who do not know, that was a McDonald/Raynor course which has just reopened after a restoration.

For those of you not wanting to wait til Old McDonald opens in 2010, the "Old White" is a fun course with all the classic McD/Raynor greens and holes.

I mentioned as a suggestion for next years Dixie cup, that we do that course, the 9 hole course nearby played with wooden clubs pre 1900, the Homestead's Cascade by Flynn and then drive to Williamsburg and play Strantz's 2 courses there, Royal New Kent and Stonehouse

Anybody like those ideas????????? ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tim Copeland

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2006, 09:46:22 AM »
12 designers?!?!!??

Get your change orders ready boys!!!!

Who will build it??  Renaissance??
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

PThomas

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2006, 10:06:37 AM »
how about "The MacDonald" or "The MacDonald Course" or
" MacDonald's Tribute"

MacDonald's Tribute?  Are you kidding?  That's horrible.

Personally, I'm not enamoured with Old MacDonald, but I could live with "The Evangelist", assuming George would permit it. ;)

"The Evangelist" sounds like a course for born-again Christians ??? :P
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2006, 10:09:27 AM »
Paul, that would be "the Rapture"

Concept course...12 designers...I woke up thinking that this is a tough pill to swallow...

Kinda like building a golf resort in the middle of nowhere, where "it always rains" with an unknown archi.

I guess this is right up Mr Keiser's alley.

Tim Bert

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2006, 10:40:07 AM »
I don't particularly like the name either, but you know what...

I've never walked away after playing a round at any course thinking, "that course could have been so much better if only I liked the name more."

They've got the reputation and the goods at Bandon, so they could call a course "crap" or "pigsty" if they wanted and people would still line up to play.

At the end of the day, it really isn't about the name.

2007 is tentatively penciled in as my 3rd trip to Bandon, and it looks like 2010 will be the 4th!

Congratulations on landing another great project, Tom!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2006, 11:09:04 AM »
This sounds like an architects ball.  Any one of them could do the whole thing on their own and do a great job of representing Macdonald.  

They'll need a Godfather to keep focused.  I think they have that wise old sage in George.  It really sounds like this will be more fun than those archies should be allowed to have. ;) ;D

Cary, I think that is a great idea to have that next Dixie Cup at the Greenbrier and associated locations.  I nominate you to head the planning committee.  And keep it affordable!!! ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2006, 12:30:39 PM »
Honestly....

None of you guys really care what the name of the 4th course is/ will be. Nice fodder, but....

Anyway, to keep with already spoken themes....this WILL be the second coming of Christ to the Bandon Resort for most of the worshippers who congregate here. Now, turn in your hymnals..... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Chris Burgard

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2006, 03:01:14 PM »

Will the logo incorporate Golden Arches??

;D

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2006, 03:10:04 PM »
Quite frankly, I think CB would be choleric over the name.

Bob

Michael Moore

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2006, 03:19:30 PM »
Bob -

Don't worry, this group will have it abbreviated to OM in a week, and you can read that as the original mantra of the ultimate reality and be at peace.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tom_Doak

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2006, 03:33:38 PM »
Anyone who doesn't like the name is welcome to make a better suggestion; Mike isn't set on the name but it is the best one so far.  Naming a new course isn't as easy as it sounds.

ForkaB

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2006, 03:43:06 PM »
How about "CB Reborn!"?

Fits with Keiser's recycling theme and Doak's renaissance concept and Bahto's evangelistic bent, and avoids that tricky restoration/remodelling definitional problem in the future.......

rjsimper

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2006, 04:00:27 PM »
I'm pretty partial to MGLO

Anthony Butler

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2006, 04:31:29 PM »
I think Old MacDonald is a great name.  Most people will remember it forever, and not in a bad way.  Especially if the course is a standout, which I will lay heavy odds on it is.  

With apologies to the recently closed rock club in the Bowery I submit....CBBD's. :)
Next!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2006, 04:41:03 PM »
Are we sure Mr. MacD. didn't have any attraction to women with a certain syndrome or two?...if so maybe that could be incorporated into the name..... ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 04:41:27 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Michael Dugger

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2006, 04:47:24 PM »
The Macdonald Course at Bandon Dunes?
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2006, 05:44:14 PM »
Recycled Macdonald
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 03:56:43 PM by Mike_Erdmann »

Tim Bert

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2006, 06:11:12 PM »
It would be pretty sweet to be the guy that came up with the name of the 4th course at Bandon.  That would be a story to tell!

How about:
National Golf Links of Bandon
CBM Dunes
Pacific Golf Links

Let the fun begin...

Chris_Hunt

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2006, 06:15:04 PM »
Congratulations, Tom and Jim and everyone involved.  I look forward to the product and the stories of collaboration.  But what about the project would be considered 'Old?'

New MacDonald would seem more appropriate, or Pacific Golf Links of America or NGLA West or Bandon Golf Links of America or CBML or anything non-nursery rhyme related...

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2006, 07:34:52 PM »
Tom,

St.Andrews West G.C.

Oregon National G.C.

The Founders Club G.C.

If I knew more about the terrain I might nominate Blackwell Heath G.C.... a CB family connection there.

Bob

JR Potts

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2006, 08:17:25 PM »
CB's Reserve.

Dan Smoot

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2006, 08:44:37 PM »
Lido Golf Links to memorilize a great lost links

Mike McGuire

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2006, 10:50:07 PM »
iMac is taken.... perhaps iDunes

Dan Kelly

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2006, 11:05:39 PM »
Anyone who doesn't like the name is welcome to make a better suggestion; Mike isn't set on the name but it is the best one so far.  Naming a new course isn't as easy as it sounds.

Thanks for the invitation.

I suggest: Macdonald Dunes.

(In time, golfers will end up calling it by its beloved nickname, Old Macdonald -- which, although a terrible formal name, is a fine nickname!)

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back