News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Brad Tufts

Re:Bandon's 4th Course Unveiled
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2006, 10:25:57 AM »
I hope we keep "National" out of this, unless it is followed by "Golf Links of...."
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

John Kirk

« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2006, 10:45:20 AM »
The words "of", "at", and "the" shall not be included.  Nor shall olde English spellings be permitted.  I'm sure that's already been determined.

Something simple.  Old MacDonald is nice.  Bandon Links or Pacific Links would be fine too.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2006, 03:04:19 PM »
I think I've come up with a good one.  How about.....

The Old Gorse

It has the obviouse reference to the "Old Course" at St. Andrew's from which MacDonald got so many of his design principles.

And, it reflects back to the gorse which the site is known for.

peter_p

« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2006, 08:31:18 PM »
From McArthur's Oregon Geographic Names:
...Randolph was first situated several miles northwest of the present location (on the Coquille River), near the mouth of Whisky Run, a small stream flowing into the ocean. Nearby sands were mined (for gold) with feverish activity between 1853 and 1855. (parentheses mine).

Joe Hancock

« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2006, 08:38:53 PM »
From McArthur's Oregon Geographic Names:
...Randolph was first situated several miles northwest of the present location (on the Coquille River), near the mouth of Whisky Run, a small stream flowing into the ocean. Nearby sands were mined (for gold) with feverish activity between 1853 and 1855. (parentheses mine).

So... Coquille Gold? Whiskey Fever? What name are you proposing? ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2006, 08:51:23 PM »
Old MacDonald is OK

I kind of like PGLA - A tribute to Charles Blair MacDonald (as mentioned - Pacific Golf Links of America)

Big B

« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2006, 09:43:01 PM »
Mac-Daddy Links?  Just kidding.

What about:

Pacific Links
Pacific Grove
Bandon GC

Sean Leary

« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2006, 10:10:09 PM »
Pacific Grove?

How about Pebble Beach ;)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2006, 11:26:05 PM »
Scotland's Gift
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 11:26:32 PM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Leahy

« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2006, 12:26:41 PM »
I still like "MacDonald Ridge". It's gives it the class it deserves. "I am going to play Mac's Ridge"
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2006, 12:41:31 PM »
Links at Arago
Cranberry Flats
Cranberry Dunes
Sea Stack Links
Fallen Mill
Dunes at Fallen Mill
Old Mill
Widowmaker
Chain Saw Dunes (wouldn't you love to do the logo)
Whiskey Run (Stream to the north of the property)
Dunes of Whiskey Run
Miner's Dunes (They mined gold on Whiskey Run Beach)
Storm Dunes

Trying to get a little Oregon Coast lore in there somewhere

If Mr. Keiser uses one of these do we get a lifetime royalty?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 01:45:43 PM by W.H. Cosgrove »

mike_malone

« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2006, 01:55:57 PM »
 Macdonald Tribute
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 02:34:16 PM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

wsmorrison

« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2006, 02:01:55 PM »
It is spelled Macdonald not MacDonald

Tim Pitner

« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2006, 02:25:22 PM »
I like Whiskey Run as a name.  I don't care for the direct reference to CBM.  

Dan Kelly

« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2006, 02:28:57 PM »

There are already at least two Whiskey Run golf courses -- one in Ohio, one in Ontario.

There is NO Macdonald Dunes. In fact, Google can't find even one match for "Macdonald Dunes."
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2006, 02:37:36 PM »
I doubt if most of you know this but dougle means oasis...so either Macdougle Dunes or Macdougle Trails will win out depending on the outcome of the focus group.  

Doug Siebert

« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2006, 05:54:23 PM »
I'm sure there is a better name than Old Macdonald out there somewhere, but this bunch will certainly never come up with it based on what I've seen so far!

Now if the holes are all named, as they should be, if there is one real nightmare of a hole among them, "12 angry men" does sound like the PERFECT name for it ;D

And who cares if there is already an Old Macdonald out there somewhere?  The first time I heard people talking about Olde Kinderhook here I thought they were talking about the Weiskopf design I've played a couple times and I was surprised at how many GCAers had been to central Missouri!  There are some course names that probably occur in every other state if you count little nine hole goat tracks.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #142 on: October 25, 2006, 05:56:32 PM »
Doug - you obviously didn't click on the link re the existing Old Macdonald... it's a miniature golf course!

Which to me underscores the silliness / comic nature of the name.  Maybe that's what Mr. Keiser wants, to add some levity.  If so that name will succeed.  But to me that doesn't seem right....

TH

Tim Pitner

« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2006, 07:30:14 PM »

There are already at least two Whiskey Run golf courses -- one in Ohio, one in Ontario.

Ah, tried and true then. ;)  Whatever . . .

The proposed name does not offend me, but something more subtle would be preferable.  Hopefully, the course will have an identity beyond that of simply a tribute course.  

peter_p

« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2006, 08:13:31 PM »
Seven Devils
    is a local name. A coastal wayside to the north, and a N-S road by that name. The Seven Devils are steep E-W ravines cutting to the ocean between Bandon Dunes/Whiskey Run and Cape Arago. They had a devil of a time trying to build the road through the area.  Maybe they can come up with some more devilish greens.
    But it will probably be a two word name keeping with the naming theme already in place. Bandon Run?
    By going from three to four courses, will your length of stay at Bandon increase by more than one day?

bakerg

« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2006, 09:03:48 PM »
I figured I would take a shot at this as well.  I pulled George Bahto's book to see if I could find something from Lido or CBM's past to tie into today.  Here is what I came up with:

My Top Picks:
Ballyshear
Lundy Links
Randolph Channel

The Rest:
Ballyshear Dunes
Ballyshear Links
Lundy Dunes
Long Trails
Long Links
Long Dunes
Pacific's Gift
Bandon's Gift
Pacific Bay
Oregon Bay
Macdonald Beach
Pacific Beach
Bandon Beach

Ballyshear was CBM's home near NGLA.  I took Randolph Channel from Randolph being the site's previous name and combining it with Reynold's Channel which was the channel that they dredged to build Lido.  Lundy Lane was the street that CBM was born.  The rest of the names are combo's of those names and taken from Long Beach Island where Lido was located.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #146 on: October 26, 2006, 06:02:01 PM »
I still like Macdonald Ridge-----"Want to join me for a round at Mac's Ridge?" Priceless.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2006, 10:55:27 PM »
Grandma Thayer's Dunes....

Seriously though, I think that Peter's choice is the first to hit the mark with me...Seven Devils...

It gets off of the "Bandon" and "Dunes" branding but keeps the local flavor...and it could make for a great logo on the ballmarks.

Jim Colton

« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2006, 12:42:26 PM »
I like Pacific Golf Links out of all the names suggested here.  Maybe someone can create a poll.

Aaron Katz

« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2006, 03:17:31 PM »
I like Ballyshear (which I though was in Chicago, actually).  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back