News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Tim Leahy

Re:Bandon's 4th Course Unveiled
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2006, 02:55:54 PM »
How about Macdonald Ridge? That fits with dunes and trails.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2006, 04:35:05 PM »
I like Old McDonald. It tells the story right off the bat, is a clever marketing tool and will differentiate the course from the others.

It will make for a memorial golfing experience for the guests, a win win in my humble opinion.

I loved the Old White at Greenbrier and given the Bandon site, I'm sure Tom Doak can do even better.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2006, 04:43:08 PM »
Cary - well to me that's just it - it DOESN'T tell the proper story (should be new, not old), and while it sure can be a good marketing tool, does a course this devoted to a pretty serious subject (golf history) really want it's main name draw to be comic?

Who isn't going to see that name and not hum to himself, if not sing out loud:

E I E I O?

In all seriousness - it's FAR from a fair or safe assumption to think that more than 2% of the world's golfers have any idea who Charles Blair Macdonald was.  Call it this and yes it's a fun in-joke for the students of the craft such as the participants here, but relying on us and us alone to be the consumers would seem to be a recipe for disaster.  And do we really want to waste this great chance to educate the masses about the father of American golf by starting off with a joke based on his name?

The more I think about the name the more I dislike it.

TH

Eric Olsen

« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2006, 04:57:22 PM »
Some might argue that an iconic name like "Old MacDonald" might lead to much greater interest in history, rather than less, by being more likely to lead people to ask, what is this about, than some other name.  

Doug Ralston

« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2006, 05:00:30 PM »
Old McDonald is classy! People MUST ask why, then some folks who do not know archy history will get a story! I like that.

But shouldn't we get Fazio to do it?

ROFL .............  :-*

Teasing you Tom. Though i have yet to play a single course of yours, just the Pix from Pacific Dunes and CK make me confident you will do justice to McDonald [which IS whom you need to 'please', if this project is going to have his name}.

Great idea .... a homage to an immortal architect. Not many get an opportunity like this.

I am ready with plenty of great advice if you need ...... "Hmm, what about a tree beside each tee, so one can wait in the shade for those in front to play"  LOL

Doug

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2006, 05:01:22 PM »
Eric:

You may have a point.  BUT... I'd counter with a test:  say it to 100 golfers and monitor how many DON'T respond with

E I E I O

way before asking what the name means.  Then see how many even bother to ask....

Hey, I'm all for getting Macdonald's name in there, as a means to spur more study of the man, which this course is BOUND to do just because of what it will be.  Just don't start with a joke, that's all.  I can't see too many getting past the joke and into the substance if they name it this... or let'sjust say the joke may end overwhelming the substance for far too many golfers.

TH

Scott Coan

« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2006, 05:03:11 PM »
Add me to the group not in favor of Old Macdonald - i just find it a bit disrespectful as most will associate with the nursery rhyme.

Macdonald's Ridge or The Legacy Course at Macdonald's Ridge would be my 2 cents...

There's already a big dune ridge (continuing on from #17 and 18 at Pacific Dunes) which is a good foundation for the Alps and Sahara holes, so we don't have to build anything really big for those ...

Dan Kelly

« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2006, 05:06:10 PM »
I'd go for Old Macdonald before I'd endorse any name with an article and a preposition.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2006, 05:07:09 PM »
I'd go for Old Macdonald before I'd endorse any name with an article and a preposition.

Agreed.

Thus I shall continue to push New Macdonald.

;D

Dan Kelly

« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2006, 05:09:00 PM »

Agreed.

Thus I shall continue to push New Macdonald.

;D

For better or -- as you say -- for worse.

Macdonald Dunes it shall be! Right, Mr. Keiser?

(Another possibility: Bandon Classic.)

Eric Franzen

« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2006, 05:11:19 PM »
Add me to the group not in favor of Old Macdonald - i just find it a bit disrespectful as most will associate with the nursery rhyme.

Macdonald's Ridge or The Legacy Course at Macdonald's Ridge would be my 2 cents...

I can already picture the numerous threads... "4th @ TLCMR vs 3rd @ NGLA".

So far Michael Moore's "12 angry men" has my vote.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2006, 05:14:09 PM »
As one of my old maiden aunts (the one that passed away with the vapors) would say, "Darling, the name is just too precious." Think long and hard before using anything "Olde."

Bob

Adam Clayman

« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2006, 05:22:17 PM »
Huck, I'll let you use a more european twist. Moderni Macdonald. Macdonald Moderni

I suspect people are really missing the boat by concentrating on the name.

Will the course push the envelopes CBM addressed?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Joe Hancock

« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2006, 05:25:42 PM »
I suspect people are really missing the boat by concentrating on the name.

No one is "concentrating" on the name...Just having a bit of fun ;D

Besides, what else do we really have? A couple involved parties....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2006, 05:32:46 PM »
I think that Adam is right, and what we're seeing here is just a tiny microcosm of what will happen in the real world if they really do use the Old Macdonald name.

I like the Euro twist, too.   ;D

And my humble apologies to Chris Hunt, who pegged the New Macdonald name on page two.  So he is the originator and I shall be evangelist (hubristic pun definitely intended).  For better or for worse.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 05:33:12 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2006, 05:33:42 PM »
No one is "concentrating" on the name...

Speak for yourself, fella! I'm concentrating on the name!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2006, 06:00:29 PM »
No one is "concentrating" on the name...

Speak for yourself, fella! I'm concentrating on the name!

Dan,

I think I know enough about you that the only thing you're concentrating on is the humor potential involved with this whole name thing! ;D

Now...be funny! :D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mark Arata

« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2006, 06:23:11 PM »
The joke name for me would be Bandon Nuggets........

Bandon Classic or NGLA West would work for me too. I think the Old MacDonald name is cute, but I would agree with Huck, I doubt even 1% of the golfing public have a clue who CB is............
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Dan Kelly

« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2006, 06:24:19 PM »
National Golf Links of America West sounds like an airline's golf course!

Mark Arata

« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2006, 06:28:48 PM »
Your right...........nevermind!
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2006, 07:29:44 PM »
I'm afraid there is already a 54-holer with the Old Macdonald name:

http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=32062654&state=TN&stx=&csz=

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mike Benham

« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2006, 08:44:55 PM »
Eric:

You may have a point.  BUT... I'd counter with a test:  say it to 100 golfers and monitor how many DON'T respond with

" ... had a farm" then the part about the vowels ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Scott Szabo

« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2006, 12:14:11 AM »
How 'bout The Tribute at Bandon Dunes.....
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Eric Olsen

« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2006, 06:52:22 AM »
If memory serves me correctly, the master plan for Bandon Dunes that was filed with the county several years ago, and which was at one point posted on the resort website, talked about a potential course that invoked the name Randolph.  I do not recall the entire historical connection, but there is a Randolph Road that leads to the resort and I believe is north and east of Pacific Dunes.  Raphael's suggestion of CB Randolph thus invokes both MacDonald and the local connection.  

But I still like Old MacDonald

John Goodman

« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2006, 09:37:32 AM »
I haven't read all this so these may already have been suggested -

Coos National
Oregon National
Cape Arago
Coquille National

Leave Macdonald out of this.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back