News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Hypothetically...
« on: October 12, 2006, 12:57:17 PM »
...we'll just say you had to choose between Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails.

What do you play?

Dan Kelly

Re:Hypothetically...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 01:01:23 PM »
...we'll just say you had to choose between Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails.

What do you play?

Whichever one George Washington liked better.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 01:01:42 PM »
a tough call Jordan

was thinking of Dunes this am...I don't think there's a bad hole out there

B Dunes has the ocean...but Trails is a terrific golf course too

hope you don't have to pick the between the two!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 01:02:23 PM »
First time, one round only?

For normal humans:  Bandon Dunes - closer to the sea, more obviously spectacular, more obviously scenic.

For GCA nuts:  Bandon Trails - it's Coore and Crenshaw, of course.

;)

Jordan Wall

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 01:23:24 PM »

For normal humans:  Bandon Dunes - closer to the sea, more obviously spectacular, more obviously scenic.

;)

Lets say, hypothetically, we have this situation.

You have a twosome.
One has played BD and likes it (not loves it but really likes it).
The other has not play anything at Bandon, but after this round will be sporting PD and Sheep Ranch later.
He loves C&C courses.
Edit...
He loves the ocean too.

If, hypothetically, there was a situation like this, what would you do
 ???
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 01:30:28 PM by Jordan Wall »

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 01:28:05 PM »
Bandon Dunes..

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 01:31:06 PM »

;)

Lets say, hypothetically, we have this situation.

You have a twosome.
One has played BD and likes it (not loves it but really likes it).
The other has not play anything at Bandon, but after this round will be sporting PD and Sheep Ranch later.
He loves C&C courses.

If, hypothetically, there was a situation like this, what would you do
 ???

if player one has already played Bd and not BT, doesn't he want to play BT??
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 01:31:19 PM »
Jordan

If hypothetically this person were very young and had lots of time to get back there over the years  ;) I would tell you to skip the Sheep Ranch and play both Trails and Dunes.

Much as I loved the experience at Sheep Ranch and it is like no other you will see, I would suggest you play the three traditional courses first.

OK Cirba you can shoot me now.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 01:35:10 PM »
I like night golf.

Is it really illegal to go out and have some fun playing either BD or BT (whatever we do not play during the day) for the last hour of the dayand into the dark..?

rjsimper

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 01:37:13 PM »
Play Bandon Dunes for your first trip there - its the course that made the resort, and I am pleased that in my first trip there, the first round we played was at BD.

Go to have fun and enjoy the Oregon coast - you can study the architecture later.

John Goodman

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 01:43:41 PM »
Bandon Dunes.  The links, laddie.

Though if you were to pick Trails, it's not like you'd be making some big mistake.

Jin Kim

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 03:49:28 PM »
Bandon Dunes.  Even given 5 rounds I'd choose Dunes for each one.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 04:50:41 PM »
I agree with Ryan--play Bandon Dunes because it was the first course there and it makes sense for it to be your initial play (as it was mine).

But, I also agree with Geoffrey--play all three courses before playing Sheep Ranch.  I loved Sheep Ranch, but I only played it because I had played BD and PD several times before and I knew I was having two cracks at Bandon Trails.  

Personally, I can't imagine a trip to Bandon that wouldn't include playing all three courses (and now probably Sheep Ranch too).  I could have problems when they build the fourth course . . .  

Jordan Wall

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 06:03:45 PM »
Is it ok to play night golf?

You know, go out to the ocean and putt and play for an hour until it is impossible to seee..

..or is that illegal (ie--will Bandon staff be pissed)?

Sean Leary

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 06:23:40 PM »

You know, go out to the ocean and putt and play for an hour until it is impossible to seee..

You will be tried as a minor if caught, so probably no jail time, maybe just juvey. Pat, however, might get in big trouble.  

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 06:26:01 PM »

J,
please ensure that the daughter of the Dean is involved in some capacity.... ;)

Defo play the 'Scottish' course out there!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Aaron Katz

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 06:31:46 PM »
I've done it at Pebble Beach on two occasions without any problems whatsoever.  And I was neither a guest at the resort nor a holder of a prior tee time that day.  I just wandered out there and met a few kids that had snuck on through one of the neighborhood streets.  We played 6, 7, 8, and 9 and then drove over to Cypress and played 15.

Aaron Katz

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 06:32:38 PM »

J,
please ensure that the daughter of the Dean is involved in some capacity.... ;)

Defo play the 'Scottish' course out there!

FBD.

I love that scene.  "Night-putting.  Just putting, at night."

Tim Pitner

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 07:16:47 PM »
Jordan,

After 36 holes, any additional holes are free, so you can just play until the sun sets . . . and then play some more.  

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 07:47:46 PM »
I prefer Bandon Dunes to the Trails

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 08:31:52 PM »
Jordan,

I've said it before and backed it up by playing more rounds at the best course at the resort...Bandon Trails.  How can you miss a chance to play the 14th at Bandon Trails...Step up, rip a driver on or near the green and show these old men what modern strategy is all about.  That's what I'm talking about..You never hear em talking about the walk back down the hill of 14 after you have pulled off one the finest drives of your career.  You won't find magic like that over at Bandon Dunes..

paul cowley

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 09:00:19 PM »
Jordan ....I've play many night games at PB, especially during full moon phases if the cloud cover permitted.
I would use your head, whether caught or not....you seem cool enough to be doing it for all the right reasons ....and taken in that context, its not all that big of a crime :).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 09:02:03 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 09:09:45 PM »
Jordan,

As far as night play goes just ask permission.  Criminal behavior no matter how small is a slippery slope.  We were the last people out on Bandon Trails when it was dark enough you could not see the pin from 100 yds out..The fine people of the resort came out in carts and guided us in even helping us with locating shots.  There is very little reason to steal from Mr. Keiser given what he has provided not so far from your home.  Let's not make him bitter like the owners of PB..

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 09:32:56 PM »
Jordan

If hypothetically this person were very young and had lots of time to get back there over the years  ;) I would tell you to skip the Sheep Ranch and play both Trails and Dunes.

Much as I loved the experience at Sheep Ranch and it is like no other you will see, I would suggest you play the three traditional courses first.

OK Cirba you can shoot me now.

Geoff,

As John Kavanaugh pointed out to me in his inimitable way, it takes a certain jaded perspective to appreciate the uniqueness of the Sheep Ranch as much as I do.   Of course, he didn't say it quite that diplomatically.

In Jordan's case, I believe you're right.  He's keen, but still very bright-eyed and eager, and I therefore would agree with you that he should play the more formalized courses if he hasn't prior.

Give him 25 years at his present "new course" playing rate, and he'll probably be out there living in a gorse infested hollow just off the Sheep Ranch, sneaking on each evening at nightfall, playing off in every direction to his heart's content until sunrise.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 09:44:00 PM by Mike Cirba »

Tim Pitner

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 10:50:01 AM »
Jordan,

I've said it before and backed it up by playing more rounds at the best course at the resort...Bandon Trails.  How can you miss a chance to play the 14th at Bandon Trails...Step up, rip a driver on or near the green and show these old men what modern strategy is all about.  That's what I'm talking about..You never hear em talking about the walk back down the hill of 14 after you have pulled off one the finest drives of your career.  You won't find magic like that over at Bandon Dunes..

Driving the green on BD #16 doesn't qualify?  What about making birdie on BD #5?  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back